PDA

View Full Version : Childminder doesn't provide anything? is this common?

Pixie dust
28-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Hi a good friend of mine has been desperately trying to find a childminder near her for her little boy and daughter, the only one who has spaces has told my friend she will have to bring everything with her, as well as the normal nappies/wipes etc she has to bring all food for the children for the day including snacks and she has to bring her own drinks. I know a lot of childminders do not provide meals but had never heard about bringing your own snacks and drinks. Also she has been asked to leave her double buggy everyday for the minder to use. (She isn't a new minder so I would have expected her to have her own)

I am quite surprised by this and just wondered how many actually do ask parents to do this. I know food can be an issue in some areas regarding environmental health issues.

I provide all meals/snacks etc and have my own buggy. shame she lives too far away from me otherwise I would have her children.

miffy
28-06-2011, 09:03 PM
I provide meals, snacks and drinks and have all necessary equipment such as buggies of my own.

I know that some cm's ask for food to be provided and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask parent to provide a buggy solely for their child's use BUT I do think it's excessive to be asked to provide all snacks and drinks.

If I was the parent I'd be thinking that this cm didn't seem to want to do anything for my child:(

Miffy xx

Happy Bunny
28-06-2011, 09:04 PM
The only thing i ask parents to bring are nappies and baby milk.
Wonder what this childminder does if the parents forgets?

sarah707
28-06-2011, 09:05 PM
I ask for nappies and wipes, I provide food or drink.

Is the childminder's hourly rate low? x

~Chelle~
28-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I can understand providing food for babies. I have a little one who is now 3 and have had since she was 1 and she brings a packed lunch with her, but that was mainly because mum did one for herself and her older son anyway.

I provide all drinks and snacks.

Also with regards to double buggy, if the parent is willing to leave her double buggy for the minder to use, then that would save the minder having to pay out for one. However, I have never done this and have a double buggy, single buggies x 2 and several car seats for all ages (except baby car seats).

I think it is all down to the individual childminder, everyone runs their business in their own way.

At the end of the day it is about the care that is being provided and as long as the children are kept safe and are happy and well looked after then I see no problems, as long as your friend is happy with the arrangement.

Dragonfly
28-06-2011, 09:07 PM
I dont know of any childminder around here who doesnt provide snacks and drinks.I only ask my parents to provide a packed lunch, nappies and wipes(having said wipes i provide them also). As for pushchairs we all use our own, parents do not usually have to leave theirs nor would not ask them too.
She might be a lovely childminder, just seems a bit strange ie a pushchair is a tool of our trade?

Pixie dust
28-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Is the childminder's hourly rate low? x

No it is average for the area she is in. :(

mushpea
28-06-2011, 09:11 PM
i supply drinks , snacks and a cold lunch,, if parents want them to have tea then they send either a ready meal or somthing I can reheat,,I supply a pushchair

Pixie dust
28-06-2011, 09:12 PM
I think it is all down to the individual childminder, everyone runs their business in their own way.

At the end of the day it is about the care that is being provided and as long as the children are kept safe and are happy and well looked after then I see no problems, as long as your friend is happy with the arrangement.

I am a not passing judgement just curious if this was normal as not come across this in my area. As you say everyone runs their business as they see fit.

To be honest she is not 100% happy but is struggling to find anyone else.. she is on another childminders waiting list but no spaces have come up yet.

kats
28-06-2011, 09:17 PM
I dont and never have provided food, i am happy to provide snacks and drinks but all the children bring their own packed lunch. I have never had a problem from any parent with this and i wouldnt do it any other way :)

Mrs Book
28-06-2011, 09:18 PM
I provide snacks, drinks & meals. Only have one who provides lunch but that is due to dietry reasons.

As for buggies. I did use mindees buggy as mom said I might as well as I said I'd got to get one. She was leaving her buggy at mine as she walked to me in the morning. Which was fine by me:laughing:

All I ask parents for is nappies/wipes, spare clothes, wellies, suncream & hats.

~Chelle~
28-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I am a not passing judgement just curious if this was normal as not come across this in my area. As you say everyone runs their business as they see fit.

To be honest she is not 100% happy but is struggling to find anyone else.. she is on another childminders waiting list but no spaces have come up yet.

Is there no other option in the meantime, ie nursery, au pair, nanny, after school club or she could look at joining childcare.co.uk, as there maybe childminders on there, that she does not know about.

My friend is a childminder literally a 5-10 minute walk away, yet she does not appear on our local FIS as she comes under a different council. Maybe your friend could look at a childminder near to where she works?

I would look at all options, if she is not entirely happy x

The Juggler
28-06-2011, 10:28 PM
i know minders who have parents who send packed lunch and all snacks and drinks (cos they choose too) but minders provide extra snacks etc at their choice BUT.... asking parent to provide a buggy is very odd:panic:

karen1033
28-06-2011, 11:30 PM
My friend is a childminder literally a 5-10 minute walk away, yet she does not appear on our local FIS as she comes under a different council. Maybe your friend could look at a childminder near to where she works?

I would look at all options, if she is not entirely happy x

We have the same thing in my area - I live 3 miles from another CM but because the postcodes are different the FIS database shows one but not the other depending on which area you search.

I have been CM for 12 years - I provide snacks and drinks (unless parents choose to send their own) and a hot meal if a child attends for 4 hours or more and over the lunch period!! An evening meal is available at a charge of £1 per child.
I have 1 double and 2 single buggys and I also have 6 assorted car seats and 2 travel cots. This is my business and as far as I am concerned it is my responsibility to provide the correct equipment - after all you wouldn't take your own drill to a dentist or hairdryer to the hairdressers now, would you??

onceinabluemoon
29-06-2011, 04:55 AM
I dont know what area you are in but where we live if parent supplies all food and drink we dont have to be registered with environmental health, maybe that is a factor? (Or maybe EH have said she must not provide food/drink etc?)

Maybe the CM feels that the children will be more settled in a buggy they already know, maybe it's better than hers, why not ask?

If the mum is not happy,she should go elsewhere really as things will just fester and end up turning into massive problems. x

Louise0208
29-06-2011, 06:03 AM
my x-childminder didnt provide ANYTHING either and charged me more than i charge my parents & i pay for everything apart from nappies & formula.

little chickee
29-06-2011, 06:19 AM
I ask parents to supply a packed lunch. Ususally there is enough food in them for 2 kids so i don't need to supplement them. Also most of them with younger kids put in juice too but i think this is so the child can have the beaker they are used to.

I will happily provide an extra snack and plenty of drinks.

I would expect a cm to have all necessary equipment like buggies, car seats high chairs etc.

singingcactus
29-06-2011, 06:37 AM
I don't provide snacks or food. I offer only water to drink so many parents will bring a cup of sugar squash for their little ones. It's all to do with environmental health and the fact I live 20-30 minutes down the motorway for the nearest shop, so cannot possibly keep my home stocked up with food for my 2 teens, my 5 year old, my husband, myself and the 7 other children I care for, whilst working 10 hours every day! A trip to the shops takes me almost 2 hours for a quick shop.
I don't see as it's unreasonable for anyone to ask parents to supply food for their own children, schools don't provide squashes and snacks and no one questions that. Maybe this childminder doesn't want her kitchen filled with food for children who only visit, maybe she'd prefer to have food for her own family in the house.
As for the double buggy, the parents of my siblings routinely left their double here telling me to use it! Maybe that's what this childminder has had before so is what she is used to. If the parent doesn't want the childminder to use the children own buggy for the children then she can say no.
Seriously if your friend is having a problem with a childminder because she has to provide food for her own children, then I'd say the problem is with your friend not the childminder who is asking for a pack up for the child.

Pixie dust
29-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. :thumbsup:

I am hoping she gets something sorted soon.

caz3007
29-06-2011, 07:02 AM
I currently provide snacks and drinks, do provide a cold lunch, but some provide a packed lunch. I currently provide a hot meal in the evenings, but wont be in September unless a child stays until 6 as its such a rush. Parents provide nappies and wipes, but I also have wipes here and have lots of other bits ie hats, raincoats etc.

One of my parents brings a buggy some days when I dont need my double, its for their convenience otherwise they have to walk carrying the child and it suits us both. But I do have double and single buggies, so dont expect them to provide along with all the usual high chairs, assorted beakers, travel cot, you name it I have it. :laughing:

Pixie dust
29-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Seriously if your friend is having a problem with a childminder because she has to provide food for her own children, then I'd say the problem is with your friend not the childminder who is asking for a pack up for the child.

She is happy to provide lunch but thinks it a bit extreme to provide own drinks/snacks and equipment. The childminder doesn't have her own buggy and has no intention of buying one:angry:

I understand your comment about schools but we don't pay a weekly fee for our children to attend schools.

I started this thread to just see if this was quite common as the childminders I know in my area all provide lunch etc. This thread is not a dig at childminders so I don't expect people to start slating my friends attitude. I was just asking.

kel1983
29-06-2011, 08:00 AM
I do get parents to supply Lunch and dinner, nappies, wipes and suncream. I get them too supply main meals as one of the children I mind is very fussy and I feel the parents know what there children are likely to eat.

I wouldnt make them supply snacks or equipment though. Thats what I buy with the money I earn from them

Mouse
29-06-2011, 08:05 AM
I don't provide meals, but do provide snacks and drinks. I often find that parents pack so much in a lunchbox that there is enough for snacks as well, but it's not something I ask them to do. Some also put juice in for their children as well. Again, it's not something I ask them to do, but if they chose to put it in I'll use it.
But even for those children who bring their own food, I will still provide extra if it's needed, or sometimes just for a change. I think it's odd to ask for parents to provide everything, but I suppose that's the cms choice.

As for equipment, as a parent I would expect the cm to have whatever is necessary if they agree to take on my child. But maybe she never takes on 2 young children, so doesn't have the need for a double buggy. If this parent wants to use her, I guess it's not unreasonable to ask if she can use their buggy if they want her to take on 2 young children when she wouldn't normally...does that make sense?

Maybe it's to do with the way she's said it, rather than what she's actually said.

Helen Dempster
29-06-2011, 08:20 AM
The only things I ask parents to provide are nappies/wipes/suncream and/or nappy cream and a change of clothes. All food/drink/snacks are catered for. Maybe she just doesn't have time to prepare the food herself. It's hard to judge really isn't it? She might be a brilliant childminder who just has quirky ways. I think if I was your friend though, I would make 100% sure that this childminder feels right for her child. Like you say, it's a shame you don't live closer.

Hope she gets on ok.

AliceK
29-06-2011, 08:34 AM
I provide everything, I don't ask parents to bring anything except their child. I know that's my choice so that's fair enough and all of us do things differently. BUT in my opinion you should have the "tools" to do your job and that means having a buggy not expecting the parent to supply their own.
Just my opinion :blush:

xxxx

marnieb
29-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I provide everything, I don't ask parents to bring anything except their child. I know that's my choice so that's fair enough and all of us do things differently. BUT in my opinion you should have the "tools" to do your job and that means having a buggy not expecting the parent to supply their own.
Just my opinion :blush:

xxxx

I agree!! Mainly cos I remember what a faff it was remembering everything for my ds when I dropped him off at his cm, so I try to make it as easy for the parent as possible, then they only have to remember the child, and the odd thing if needed. But the only thing I dont buy is nappies and formula milk.

If I was taking on a new child, i wouldnt dream of asking the parent to provide a piece of equipment!!!!

loocyloo
29-06-2011, 09:06 AM
i ask for a bag of nappies/wipes and thats it part from formula/food for babies who are being weaned (but once they are pretty much eating 'proper food' or as soon as mum is happy, then i provide)

i've got all my own equipment too!

BUT, i've recently moved, and ALL my equipment is in storage :( so, were i to have a babe need to start sooner than i can get to my equipment, then i would have to ask to borrow babes own bits! but only temporarily.
saying that, there is a minder i know who always uses babes own equipment.

where is your friend looking for childcare?

~Chelle~
29-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't provide snacks or food. I offer only water to drink so many parents will bring a cup of sugar squash for their little ones. It's all to do with environmental health and the fact I live 20-30 minutes down the motorway for the nearest shop, so cannot possibly keep my home stocked up with food for my 2 teens, my 5 year old, my husband, myself and the 7 other children I care for, whilst working 10 hours every day! A trip to the shops takes me almost 2 hours for a quick shop.
I don't see as it's unreasonable for anyone to ask parents to supply food for their own children, schools don't provide squashes and snacks and no one questions that. Maybe this childminder doesn't want her kitchen filled with food for children who only visit, maybe she'd prefer to have food for her own family in the house.
As for the double buggy, the parents of my siblings routinely left their double here telling me to use it! Maybe that's what this childminder has had before so is what she is used to. If the parent doesn't want the childminder to use the children own buggy for the children then she can say no.

The childminder is asking for more than just a pack up and also charging the same rate as others who provide snacks and drinks!

At my mindee's nursery, they provide water, milk and fruit for all of the children!

At school you wouldn't expect to provide this as children bring their own. But we are NOT schools, we are a home base child care provider and supplying children with drinks & snacks, ie a piece of fruit, cheese, yoghurt, breadsticks or toast, for a young child is not much to expect really. You just buy a little bit extra whilst doing your own shopping. If you live far away from shops, there is always a home delivery service!

As for providing equipment, this is something childminders should have. You wouldn't ask parents to provide a travel cot, toys, garden equipment, sand, play doh ect would you?? I know that I wouldn't.

Like someone else said you don't take your own scissors to the hairdressers or drill to the dentist, do you?!

Helen D
29-06-2011, 09:26 AM
I ask parents to provide a set of spare clothing( although I do have a large chest full of spares) I ask for nappies wipes etc usually in bulk to save parents the pack horse routine every morning...I have cards made up with supplies listed and I can tick the box when we need items restocking. I ask parents to send a comforter if their child has one but thats about it....I even provide them with special named bags to send things in. It must be a nightmare to run your day with everyone having seperate things....snacks etc........I have had parents ask that their child be allowed to"graze" all day but I try to point out that when they go to school etc they will not be able to do that and so we offer structured meal times...I personally think its a vital social skill to develop with and it also encourages children to gain some ofthe self helpskills we aim for.
I dread the pushchair carpark lol.....I have no objection to parents bringing them in same withcar seats etc if they are going to be needed but I find a whole room of my house is used to store other peoples things ..perhaps the childminder keeps her fees down for you by supplyng nothing????

BuggsieMoo
29-06-2011, 10:11 AM
I provide all snacks, drinks and a cooked meal each night if the parent wishes. I am also happy to accept packed lunches if they wish to send - but will do a lunch if not. Im not fussed either way.

As for prams, I have a double x 2 and single. However, I do have one in a pram at the moment and I do use her pram but this is at her mums request as she drops her off at school leaving time and therefore she is already in her pram. I keep it for the days she is here and give back for remainder of week she isnt. It seems silly to move her from her pram into mine in the morning and then leave her pram in my house. However, when she goes home, her pram goes away and she is the only one to use it.

Kezzle
29-06-2011, 10:20 AM
Can i ask why it's such a bad thing that a childminder chooses to ask parents to provide own buggy? After all if they're leaving that child with you it's not like they're going to need it during the day. I was going to ask parent's to do this as i don't see why i should pay out a huge cost i can't currently afford when they will have a perfectly good one? I also don't have tonnes of storage space and we would be left tripping over it all the time when not in use.

onceinabluemoon
29-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I provide everything but the child.

marnieb
29-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Can i ask why it's such a bad thing that a childminder chooses to ask parents to provide own buggy? After all if they're leaving that child with you it's not like they're going to need it during the day. I was going to ask parent's to do this as i don't see why i should pay out a huge cost i can't currently afford when they will have a perfectly good one? I also don't have tonnes of storage space and we would be left tripping over it all the time when not in use.

I see it as 'tools of the trade'.

It's our job to look after these children, so we should have the equipment necessary to do so.

Mouse
29-06-2011, 10:43 AM

I would think most parents would expect you to have the equipment you need to do your job. As someone else said earlier, if you went to get your hair cut you wouldn't be expected to take your own scissors and hairdryer with you. If someone is providing a service, you would expect them to have the right equipment. The exception to this would be special needs equipment that you couldn't be expected to buy.
Would you also be asking parents to provide travel cots and highchairs? And what if you had 2 small children needing a double buggy? Would you want one parent to supply one for their's and another child?

I think it's entirely up to you if you want to ask parents to provide their own buggy, but don't be surprised if you get a poor reaction from some of them.

Blaze
29-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Some round here do the same:rolleyes:

ziggy
29-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I prefer to have all my own equipment.

I agree with other comments that buggies, cots, highchairs of our 'tools'. Surely a childminder wouldnt expect parent to supply a cot and highchair, so why a buggy. I can see if parent leaves buggy it would be sensible to use it but i wouldnt expect parents to supply them.

I have a double buggy, 2 singles, numerous car seats/boosters, high chairs, 2 travel cots, gates, bouncers, baby swings, playpen etc etc. I've never heard of a childminder in my area not having such things.

As for food, I offer breakfast, snacks, hot lunch, tea and drinks included in fee. Some bring packed lunch and snacks but that is their choice. I also have a 45 minute drive to nearest supermarket but do have small village shop.

All i ask parents to supply are nappies, wipes (although still buy extras) cream, sun hats, wellies, change of clothes (also have extras here) and hopefully sun cream:)

Kezzle
29-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Ok so just pointing out that most people ask for nappies and wipes to be provided when they are necessary equipment needed to provide adequate care for a baby why not supply those aswell. Whats so different about something which costs a couple of quid to something that costs hundreds.

Mouse
29-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Ok so just pointing out that most people ask for nappies and wipes to be provided when they are necessary equipment needed to provide adequate care for a baby why not supply those aswell. Whats so different about something which costs a couple of quid to something that costs hundreds.

It's not always easy on a practical level. What if you took on three young children and asked all parents to provide a buggy. Where would you store them in the day time? How would you get out & about with 3 singles. What if one was not in a condition you considered adequate, or came without a rain cover? The equipment I use is something that I want to have control over.

As for providing nappies etc, that's a regular cost that you get nothing from at the end of the day. At least if you have to buy a buggy you have that to use for other children, or to sell on again if you no longer need it. Buggies are assets, nappies aren't.

And actually, some childminders do provide nappies as well, particularly cloth ones.

em29
29-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I am glad this cam eup . A friend of mine asks parents to bring a baby chair, the pushchair, reins and even loans her the travel cot :eek: Last I heard she was asking parent to supply a booster seat for the table!! :rolleyes:

I think the parents get a bit frustrated with having to leave their stuff with her all week and then they have seen other mindees in the pushchair or using the reins etc. There is such a shortage of chilminders round here that they put up with it!! My friends sees nothing wrong with it.

I however provide everything except food and nappies and have had to pay out for high chairs, a new double buggy, buggy board, reins etc etc

It is part of the cost of setting up !!

Louise0208
29-06-2011, 11:28 AM
one of my parents brings her own buggy.....its minging! smells & covered in wee, puke, food etc

id be ashamed to take it out Thats why i use my own :thumbsup:

singingcactus
29-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Remember though, if a childminder is not registered as a food business they CANNOT provide food, and drink for the child, they can legally only provide water so if the parent wants the child to have milk or sugary drinks then the parents must provide them. I don't see that it is a hard thing for a parent to pop in an apple or banana for their own child for a snack.
As for the person who mentioned me getting in 2 or 3 additional delivery shops a week, at 6.50 a delivery. so that I can then make it easier for parents who travel off this compound and DO have access to shops that is simply ridiculous. I'm certain the parent would soon baulk at having those extra rates passed on to them, as well as the time I would be trapped in my house waiting for the additional deliveries which come in 2 hour timeslots after having worked my 10 hour day. Unless you are suggesting I accept deliveries whilst I am caring for the children which is also not on.
A parent is more than able to provide the food their own child needs, it's not hard, it's not the big deal it is being made out to be.
As for the double, maybe the childminder can see that the eldest of the 2 will be walking very soon and does not want to pay out 100's of pounds for a double that will only be used for a month or so.
The number of posts I have read on this forum about how the kids waste the food you all provide, and how you are all overwhelmed by paperwork, and your house is bursting at the seams with equipment, and here is a minder who has a solution for all that and so many of you have a problem with that. I'm very surprised by this. But then I am frequently by things that are said on here at times lol.

singlewiththree
29-06-2011, 12:23 PM
A lot of childminders around here expect the parent to provide lunch, snacks and drinks as well as the usual nappies etc.

I provide everything but nappies and formula :)

foxy lady
29-06-2011, 12:25 PM
this childminder should be providing at least water for the children to drink as it is part of ofsteds requirments that fresh drinking water should be availiable at ALL times

blue bear
29-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I have had several new parents show surprise when I say they do not need to bring equipment (pushchairs, cots etc) each day so it must be common round here

Tinglesnark
29-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I only supply lunches to preschool children that i collect but do not drop off (as the preschool cant store the lunchboxes) and i only supply evening meals to those that leave after 6 for obvious reasons. I hate being in the kitchen leaving all of the bods to run riot elsewhere :laughing: I do provide milk, water, juice and all snacks - plus all outings and the occasional cheeky celebratory macdonalds..

I have car seats, buggies and all other equipments that i consider to be the tools of my trade. 1 mum provides her car seat as it is an all singing all dancing, squillion pound jobbie and she thinks that mega bucks means unbeatable quality...which is fine by me but unless she is going to give me a juicy xmas bonus i shant be buying one anytime soon!

I dont supply nappies but do provide wipes and suncream because I go through wipes like there's no tomorrow and parents NEVER EVER EVER EVER remember to provide the suncream and if they do its a factor 15 or something equally useless. I insist on using factor 50 and so it saves all arguments :) I like the smell of my suncream too (nivea)

I think that if you run your own business then you should be able to provide what you want to BUT that you should also make sure that you are equipped to do your job properly...

I would find another cm that has the basic equipment...lets face it a buggy is a must have item - even if youre a baby wearer you will probably need a buggy at some point i think?

The Juggler
29-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Because that buggy will get a lot more use out of it than just parents use so would be getting a lot of wear and tear on it - and it is a business essential. I agree to asking to borrow one temporarily perhaps but really it would be a 'just until I get my own one'.

Pixie dust
29-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks everyone

When I posted this thread I didn't expect such a debate... that's what I love about this forum everyone has an opinion.:D

janminder
29-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Just ask for nappies and wipes although often use my own wipes. Provide all food, snacks etc.

Beetlejuice
29-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I ask for nappies/wipes and formula - though more often than not I end up using my own wipes as parents usually forget.

I do know a minder locally who asks parents to supply food as she is a vegetarian and will not cook meat for minded children.

I provide all equipment including car seats and buggies etc and that's quite usual round here.

little chickee
29-06-2011, 02:59 PM
I do not think its unreasonable to ask a parent to pack a bag every morning for their lo. Enough nappies, wipes suncream, and a packed lunch and snacks.

Its not exactley difficult.

I have 3 kids of my own who i manage to get up, ready for school, make at least 2 sometimes 3 packed lunches, water bottles, gym kits, show and tell etc and have out the door at 8.45.

During which time i also have 2-3 mindees being dropped off.

I do however think its unreasonable to expect a parent to provide any other equipment. As someone says these are the tools of our trade.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
29-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't provide food I used to but they all started with me under 1 and I said food for under 1's needs to be provide by parents and they have just carried it on and to be honest that is what I am going to say to any new parents that I have decided not to provide food. Especially now with having to be registered and my parents also bring drinks but that isn't something I asked them to do but it has acutally worked out well as they all know what cup belongs to who. I do provide snacks and juice or water.

I do provide all the equipement and would not expect a parent to leave a pushchair for me to use or a highchair etc.

mummyMia
29-06-2011, 06:42 PM
When I used a childminder previously she used my buggy. I needed to leave it there during the day and she just used it without ever asking me. This was quite annoying, especially since she broke it and I had to buy a new one! Not to mention all the juice stains that kept appearing on it ...

I never complained because I didn't want to seem mean.

I know that in some Scandinavian countries it is common practice for parents to provide a travel cot.

mum2two
29-06-2011, 06:51 PM
I don't provide meals, but do snacks & drinks.

I would never ask parents to leave equipment though. The places we go, I would feel bad giving it back caked in mud, andbe constantly worried about it breaking in my care.

Never known a cm not provide anything...

xx

chrissie250
29-06-2011, 06:59 PM

In some respects I agree with what is said here. I determine my hourly rate on what i can provide and i believe if a child is happy that should mean more to the parent than the use of a buggy and some food!!

Chimps Childminding
29-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I don't provide meals, but do snacks & drinks.

I would never ask parents to leave equipment though. The places we go, I would feel bad giving it back caked in mud, andbe constantly worried about it breaking in my care.

Never known a cm not provide anything...

xx

I agree, I would hate to break someone else's buggy :eek: I do use a baby's carry car seat if they arrive in it, although I do have one of my own should the need arise.

All my mindees bring a packed lunch, and if any need to have tea (only 1 at present) I ask parents to provide something I can warm up. We don't have tea until late and I don't really want to be cooking two lots of meals. Plus the parent's know what the child will/won't eat.

I provide snacks and drinks and breakfast (cereal and toast) for those that haven't had it before they arrive.

I provide wipes (unless a child needs a particular sort due to allergies, as I buy what ever is on offer). I ask parents to provide sun cream, nappy cream, formula and as I said packed lunch/meal.

I would have thought most minders would have at least one single and one double buggy (unless you are just starting out obviously :blush: ) and if I knew I was going to need one would be on the look out for a decent second hand one if I couldn't afford a new one.

dundas
29-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Hi a good friend of mine has been desperately trying to find a childminder near her for her little boy and daughter, the only one who has spaces has told my friend she will have to bring everything with her, as well as the normal nappies/wipes etc she has to bring all food for the children for the day including snacks and she has to bring her own drinks. I know a lot of childminders do not provide meals but had never heard about bringing your own snacks and drinks. Also she has been asked to leave her double buggy everyday for the minder to use. (She isn't a new minder so I would have expected her to have her own)

I am quite surprised by this and just wondered how many actually do ask parents to do this. I know food can be an issue in some areas regarding environmental health issues.

I provide all meals/snacks etc and have my own buggy. shame she lives too far away from me otherwise I would have her children.hi the only thing i ask for is nappies and fresh wipes

vix84
30-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I only supply water - mainly because it is to expensive to cater to every one's likes dislikes.

I know about registering with environmental health but not about as a food business - is this the same thing?
Also, if you just re-heat food you have to register don't you, and also because you store it .......

TheBTeam
30-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I would rather use my own buggy than a parents just in case i damaged it! I only offer parents the chance to provide their own first stage car seat although i have one, but i offer in case they prefer such a small baby to be in a seat of their own, as they dont have liners etc like a pushchair can.

It's a small world
30-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I provide, snack, meals, buggy, group fees ,buggy. I do sometimes ask for a small donation if going a little further afield..otherwise I provide everything.

Without sounding harsh if this cm is charging same rate what would she claim for if doesnt have a buggy or provide any meals. Tax man must love her as appears she has no real expenses ????