PDA

View Full Version : mindee picked up bad word

Helen Dempster
28-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello. Can I have your opinions please? Mindee (nearly 2yo) was collected tonight and while I was talking to my ds, mum says to mindee "I told you if you say that I will smack you". I didn't hear what he'd said, so asked her. She couldn't tell me with mindee and ds in earshot so I texted her this evening and asked. Apparently he's picked up (from his dad) "for f sake" Sorry, I know i'm not allowed to put bad words on here, so I hope that way of writing it is ok :blush: His dad's very embarrassed and feels awful about it (he says it sometimes when he's driving) and mindee has picked up on it. I personally haven't heard him say it (he's been off for 2 weeks and it was first day back today).

I just wondered how we should deal with this - I don't think it should be made into a really big deal, as he obviously doesn't know what he's saying, but on the other hand should he be told it's a bad word at this young age, or should we just ignore it when/if he says it?? I definitely don't think smacking him is a very positive or helpful way forward.

Please help.

sarahlou
28-06-2011, 08:22 PM
one of my 2 yr old mindees said somethin this am and i just said it was an inappropriate word to use in my house and for his age and asked him not to say it again . I think with things like this u have to just tell them its not a nice word and not to use it - it worked for me:)

Pipsqueak
28-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Personally I would ignore where possible but if I had to say something it would be along the lines of

'oh that is not very nice, we don't say that here'

and then ignore

just reiterate to mum that you cannot and do not smack

all little ones pick up some 'choice' words here and there.
I was mortified when my own son came out with something that rhymes with anchor.

He got it from me when some barstool nearly caused me to crash the car by pulling out on me and me ending up in a hedge. it was a kneejerk reaction on mu part...... not good I know but just one of those things

miffy
28-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Depending on the child's understanding then I would also tell them not to use that word and distract them but definitely no smacking or threat of it.

Miffy xx

Mookins
28-06-2011, 09:51 PM
one of my mindees has a word...which we say "stick L, the word is st st stick":rolleyes:

as you can imagine at nearly 2 this was what he learnt as quick as you like:eek:

mum is mortified, dad is in the doghouse and i have to keep a very straight face;)

xxx

ajs
28-06-2011, 10:14 PM
My 3 yr old mindee asked me if I was going to shut the ****** door or what. Told mum what she'd said and mum apologised said it was her word. :blush:

ziggy
29-06-2011, 11:05 AM
I just say 'we dont use that word here' seems to work thankfully

Happy Bunny
29-06-2011, 11:14 AM
My ex swore as he was driving, my little one told him off for swearing.
saying that everything is a naughty word to her at the moment, I told my son he was being a wombat as he was being a bit rude to me and she told me off for swearing.
If a mindee swears I always say that words like that are not allowed in my house.

onceinabluemoon
29-06-2011, 11:48 AM
My (ex) mindee picked up the same words from her mother (who apparently only said it once!)

I told her politely we don't say it here so she said it over and over in a chant smirking at me as she did it!

I wasn't amused and it took weeks to stop it. She was also nearly two and as bright as a button (and a little madam as I'm sure you've guessed).

I tried all the softly softly approaches and ended up 'getting cross' and sending her to time out, surprisingly that's what worked...

gigglinggoblin
29-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Is he using it in the correct context? I have changed phrases by saying 'thats not a nice word, try xyz instead' and get them saying the word you want to substitute in. Fiddlesticks and flapdoodle is a favourite of mine (Bagpuss fan) and if the new word is more fun to say they will be happy to swap. I dont think any of the other kids noticed and didnt pick up on the words I wanted rid of

love381
29-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Every child says something we don't approve of at some time or another! I've found over the years that ignoring it is the best way. No attention to it at all, means no reason to repeat.

Will just add a funny thing though. My sister at nearly 3 thought the word gorgeous was a swear word and would say it as she fell over, bumped, dropped things etc. Was soooooooooo funny!! x

Helen Dempster
29-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Every child says something we don't approve of at some time or another! I've found over the years that ignoring it is the best way. No attention to it at all, means no reason to repeat.

Will just add a funny thing though. My sister at nearly 3 thought the word gorgeous was a swear word and would say it as she fell over, bumped, dropped things etc. Was soooooooooo funny!! x

That really made me laugh - bless her!! :ROFL1:

Helen Dempster
29-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Is he using it in the correct context? I have changed phrases by saying 'thats not a nice word, try xyz instead' and get them saying the word you want to substitute in. Fiddlesticks and flapdoodle is a favourite of mine (Bagpuss fan) and if the new word is more fun to say they will be happy to swap. I dont think any of the other kids noticed and didnt pick up on the words I wanted rid of

He doesn't understand what he's saying or saying it in the correct context, no. When my own ds was young (not sure if older than 2, can't remember), his dad said the f word and ds was going round just repeating it over and over :blush: I substituted it for the word "flipper" :) He was about 8 years old when he finally said to me "flipper isn't really a bad word is it mum?" ha ha ha ha ha ha ha It worked though!

love381
29-06-2011, 11:09 PM
That really made me laugh - bless her!! :ROFL1:

She still hasn't lived it down and she's 26!! It is funny though, when anybody says gorgeous for anything now it goes back to that! She really thought it was a swear word that she had been given permission to use!! x

nokidshere
29-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Ignorance is the best policy but it won;t stop them learning or saying the words sadly!

We had an hilarious moment today. Boy 9 and Girl 11 siblings were talking to me and their mum who had just arrived in the hallway. Converstaion went like this...

Boy.. Some yr10's came from secondary school today to help us with den building
Me...were they good at it?
Boy.. yes they were but the swore a lot! They even used the really really bad C word.
Me...(in mock horror) thats shocking, I don't know any words that bad but I am surprised that you knew what it was J!!
Boy...Shall I tell you......
Me... errr no thank you, I only like nice words (me and mum trying not to laugh by now)
Girl...Mum when am I going to be allowed to swear...
Mum... NEVER
Girl...aww won't I be able to swear when I start secondary school?
Mum... err no..why would ever need to be allowed to swear..
Girl... well thats not fair, I might need to really really express myself

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Bless her heart - normally butter wouldn;t melt... mum was hysterically laughing by now!

Pipsqueak
30-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I looked after a little boy who loved the word 'bucket'.... can you guess the repetitive sound of this.....:)