PDA

View Full Version : Road Safety/Toddlers

daytimedolly
28-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi, I am reasonably new to childminding. I have recently taken on a few more children and on a Tues and Wed I have 4 under 5's to transport on a school run. The baby goes in the buggy but I am left with a 2 year old, 3 year old and a 4 year old who, regardless of how much I try to keep them in check, run about, dart about and just go crazy near roads, car parks etc. There is a big issue with the school as there is no safe near place to park.

Can any of you offer any advice on tricks, gadgets, harnesses of any kind that you use that would suit toddlers. My heart is in my mouth the way they race around and forget any road sense that is told to them and Im so scared an accident may happen one day

sarah707
28-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Invest in a double buggy for the baby and 2 year old.

Put the 3 year old on reins and show him how to hold on so he's better trained when he is older.

Tell the 4 year old if he doesn't hold on and walk sensibly he will go on reins as well.

I take it you have a variation for 4 under 5? If you are finding it a problem maybe you need to see if you can spread the load through the week.

Hth :D

green puppy
28-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I have 4 under 5's 3 days a week aged between 2.5 and 3.5, we walk everywhere. The 2 younger ones go in a single buggy with the other on a buggy board (they take turns each way) and the older 2 hold onto the pushchair either side. They have always held on since they began walking and know that this is what I expect. To begin with one of the older ones did not want to but he realised it was better than wearing reins!! Perhaps you can get a buggy board and use reins until they learn that you all walk together nicely. I usually say that mine can run in the park/garden but never by the roads. When we have just gone for a walk we all hold hands, they know that if we don't stay together then we stop and stand still and don't go anywhere!

hepburn
29-06-2011, 08:01 PM
omg it sounds like you have your hands full.......personally should you not of started out with less children to gain experience as you say you are new to childminding!!. How long have you been childminding?

linda2girls
29-06-2011, 08:51 PM
I totally agree with Sarah, I would use a double buggy, in fact I have just bought a triple buggy to use on a Thursday when I have a baby, 18 month old and 2.5 year old. The main priority is to keep them safe and if they won't hold on to the buggy near roads, then reins or a wrist strap is the only way.

Linda.

The Juggler
29-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Put the 3 year old on reins and show him how to hold on so he's better trained when he is older.

Tell the 4 year old if he doesn't hold on and walk sensibly he will go on reins as well.

I take it you have a variation for 4 under 5? If you are finding it a problem maybe you need to see if you can spread the load through the week.

exactly what Sarah said although I might be tempted to add a buggy board for the 3 year old too.:thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
30-06-2011, 06:05 AM
babies in a twin buggy and older two on wrist straps or reins if they wont behave.

Make it clear to them that YOU are in charge and they will do as they're told when out and about. Make promised of what will happen in they behave nicely, what will happen if they behave badly and stick to them consistently.

Good luck.

miffy
30-06-2011, 07:06 AM

As above - if you can't trust them to behave sensibly then you need to make sure you can stop them running off.

Miffy xx