PDA

View Full Version : Public Performance Licence

Carol M
28-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Has anyone else been told that we have to have a PPL?
So as we can play cd's and dvd's to the minded children!
Costs us the same as a school and has to be renewed annually.
Apparently we are breaking the law!!!!!
What a load of :censored: :angry:
Hopefully our NCMA ROC Chair is taking this to NCMA. You will, won't you Penny ?
Carol xx

Mouse
28-06-2011, 04:40 PM
It's one of those things that comes up every now & again, but I don't know anyone that's ever got a licence.

I'm sure there have been posts on here about it before & a reason why we don't have to do it.

Mouse
28-06-2011, 04:41 PM
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77692&highlight=performance+licence

miffy
28-06-2011, 04:44 PM
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=77692&highlight=performance+licence

Phew! Glad it doesn't apply to us - we have to shell out for enough as it is!

Miffy xx

Carol M
28-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Yes, have seen previous thread and some of the ladies posting there are from my LA.
Went to a childminders forum and had already asked our CDO ( now known as Improvement Officer) to clarify with the powers that be and she has said YES Childminders must have one. Caused a bit of a stink at the meeting! That and FCCERS but don't get me started on that one.
How it will be policed I have no idea but we have been told we should have one.
Carol xx

Penny1959
28-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Has anyone else been told that we have to have a PPL?
So as we can play cd's and dvd's to the minded children!
Costs us the same as a school and has to be renewed annually.
Apparently we are breaking the law!!!!!
What a load of :censored: :angry:
Hopefully our NCMA ROC Chair is taking this to NCMA. You will, won't you Penny ?
Carol xx

Of course Carol - I have already had a quick word with the one of our NPF and we have a couple of other NPF on the forum so they should also be able to highlight the issue.

Penny :)

rickysmiths
28-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Its a Myth.

We like schools, cds and dvds used for eduational purposes are exempt. So as we are not open to the public and don't charge an enrty fee and we use all the material for EYFS we do not have to pay.

Penny1959
28-06-2011, 06:16 PM
As Carol has said - she was told by Worcs early years team - and I know a senior member of staff was there.

Personally I don't think we need to pay as it is all for 'educational purposes' but for people like Carol who are accredited and therefore must jump through all hoops help by LA - it needs to be sorted and an official clarification given - which is why I will be asking NCMA
I know only too well that LA's - wellI know I about Worcestershire - do get things wrong but it is time to put this one to bed so to speak so itr does not raise its head again - and should it turn out that we do need it, then we will need NCMA to represent us.

nokidshere
28-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes, have seen previous thread and some of the ladies posting there are from my LA.
Went to a childminders forum and had already asked our CDO ( now known as Improvement Officer) to clarify with the powers that be and she has said YES Childminders must have one. Caused a bit of a stink at the meeting! That and FCCERS but don't get me started on that one.
How it will be policed I have no idea but we have been told we should have one.
Carol xx

I only saw/heard of feccers the other day at a childminder friends house. Bizarre! I told my CDO to take it away and not to bother bringing it to my house again! what a useless pile of junk!

Penny1959
30-06-2011, 04:58 PM
As promised and wearing my ROC chairs hat - I have started the ball rolling to find out more.

Nothing on the PPL website gives any indication that childminders need to register - however it does say that need to clarify if need to register not just to assume if not listed on website.

So I have emailed them with the question (well several questions) pointing out that domestic not public building, small numbers of children, the part time childminders and so on. I also pointed out that we all want to abide my the law but if a licence is needed and the cost to high we might have no choice but too comply by not watching dvd or listening to cd's.

I have also emailed ncma info and copied colleagues in - who has forwarded to right department. Xx who is leading on this is out of the office for a few days - so maybe end of week before I hear from him,

I will keep you all posted.

sarah707
30-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Sounds like you have all bases covered Penny.

I am looking forward to sorting this one out once and for all... until they change their minds again that is :rolleyes:

Sorry about editing your post but we are in minding chat which is visible to everyone x :D

manjay
30-06-2011, 05:10 PM
As Carol has said - she was told by Worcs early years team - and I know a senior member of staff was there.

Personally I don't think we need to pay as it is all for 'educational purposes' but for people like Carol who are accredited and therefore must jump through all hoops help by LA - it needs to be sorted and an official clarification given - which is why I will be asking NCMA
I know only too well that LA's - wellI know I about Worcestershire - do get things wrong but it is time to put this one to bed so to speak so itr does not raise its head again - and should it turn out that we do need it, then we will need NCMA to represent us.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Penny1959
01-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Sounds like you have all bases covered Penny.

I am looking forward to sorting this one out once and for all... until they change their minds again that is :rolleyes:

Sorry about editing your post but we are in minding chat which is visible to everyone x :D

:blush: opps - sorry Sarah (and boss) should know better - and had not even checked where op had put first post.

Penny1959
06-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Ok I have had a reply - which is below - but please don't panic as I am following this up with NCMA and have forwarded rely to person dealing with it.

I for one will not be rushing to buy a licence - and will be seeking clarification as to if all music - for example does it apply to the CD's I brought from Early Learning or the ones from Craig Trafford at the West Mids Forum.

Anyway - here is the reply - note the tariff area

Hi Penny,

Thank you for your email.

A PPL licence is required for music used while childminding however for the tariff we would use (018 Miscellaneous background music) we cannot charge for radio or TV use. So a licence will only be required if CDs or Mp3 player is used.

We do not licence the playing of DVDs however you may want to speak to a company called Filmbank to find out whether a licence is required.

Pleas could you confirm whether you need to apply for a licence.

Of course I will not be confirming I need a licence just yet

rickysmiths
06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Thank you for all your hard work to do with this. I think it is all a nonsence even for 'background' music because we are not a public place. We are in our own homes and all music played is done so to extend the childrens experiences and is therefore educational.

The Public do not wander in and out like they do in shops and in school at school performances, though these are covered by a seperate performance licience, school fairs, when there is often a ticket to be bought in order to go in would have to have it. Anything else in schools is ciricular and therefore no licience is required.

It sounds like a jobsworth some where hasn't anything better to think about and clearly doesn't understand how childminding works. I also don't see why it should make any difference if a childminder is accredited, it doesn't change the nature of the work or the children and how or where they are cared for.

I hope someone sees sense soon. :thumbsup:

Carol M
08-10-2011, 07:00 AM
Well...... Worcestershire have now told us, due to all their hard work negotiating( Penny 1959 had provided them with all HER discussions ) WE DO NOT NEED A PPL:clapping:
At the last Forum with Worcs childminders the good news was received well!
Because we are providing music for educational purposes , as Rickysmiths had said, we don't need one. I still hope NCMA produce clarification for members and that the people from PPL department are made aware and do not tell anymore minders we must have one!!
Problem Sorted, thanks Penny.
Carol xx

Penny1959
08-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Well...... Worcestershire have now told us, due to all their hard work negotiating( Penny 1959 had provided them with all HER discussions ) WE DO NOT NEED A PPL:clapping:
At the last Forum with Worcs childminders the good news was received well!
Because we are providing music for educational purposes , as Rickysmiths had said, we don't need one. I still hope NCMA produce clarification for members and that the people from PPL department are made aware and do not tell anymore minders we must have one!!
Problem Sorted, thanks Penny.
Carol xx

My pleasure Carol - it seems that some are still suggesting that childminders need a PPL (not Worcestershire LA) and I had an email from a forum member with information that she had been passed that there was a consultation going on that might impact on CM's -however have check it out with the ever helpful Colin at PPL and he has confirmed my understanding the consultation does not / will not impact on CMs. So just goes to show that despite the answers direct from PPL that the rumours continue.

And yes - it would have been nice if Worcestershire had acknowledged my part in it - especailly as they have thanked me by email - but guess they would then have to admit they had let a good member of staff slip through their fingers :D

Carol M
16-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Interesting article in todays Mail on Sunday
PPL have been hounding a shopkeeper who only puts his radio on when he is cashing up after his hardware shop is closed so NOT playing music to the public. He's called them the "music licence Gestapo" :eek:
Apparently the Government agreed with an independent report this year recommending that PPL should be forced by law to adopt a code of practice for the way it operates.
Think PPL need to get facts right!:angry:
Carol xx