PDA

View Full Version : impetigo

taiwallis
28-06-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a mindee who i sent home yesterday with suspected impetigo. He has quite a large weeping sore on the inside of his nose. His brother had impetigo extremely badly last week (ALL OVER FACE) and is still on oral antibiotics for it. I got a text last night to say that the doctor doesn't think it is impetigo. Mindee came back today and it is even worse than yesterday and now growing to the outside of the nose too.
My problem is... one of the parents is a GP. However they pointed out that they had a week off last week with eldest son, and can't afford anymore time off.
I am not sure what to do and feel that my hands are tied. I am taking eVERY precaution to not spread it but i know it can be very contagious.

kells_bells
28-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Trust your instincts and stick to your guns, as hard as it must be I'd put my foot down.
I totally understand with the parents being gps that obviously you'd think they know but you need to protect your setting, impetigo is rife and awfully irritating. Poor lo and shame on mum and dad! How would they feel if it was them having to take more time off because you had allowed an other child into the setting with an infectious disease?
Could you ask them for doctors clarification? If they are so instant it's not impetigo but you think it is they should be the ones to prove themselves.
Awful position to be put in xx

RachelE
28-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Thats not fair on you at all.

You will be ina worse position if another child catches it.
My ds had a bad case from school last year and it covered most of his face poor thing.

I agree with above, you need to prove to other parenst that you have taken every step - and for your own piece of mind - before you catch it!

Good luck,
Rachel x

QualityCare
28-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Do you think that he was taken to the drs? Could you phone his Health Visitor and explain your concerns and that older brother has impetigo and ask if she will come and check. At least then you can tell the other parents that you have checked it out with the HV.

miffy
28-06-2011, 04:59 PM
This is very difficult but at the end of the day it is your decision whether you accept this child or not - you do not have to do what they decide you will.

OK so they had a week off last week with elder sibling but there are two parents and the children are their responsibility if they are ill not yours! I'm sure they didn't both have the week off..............

If you are not firm now you will only face this problem every time one of the children is ill and they don't want to take time off.

Miffy xx