PDA

View Full Version : Sterilising

Tealady
27-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Mum leaves me three bottles on a Monday. I wash and use as needed throughout the week. Baby is 10 months and Mum has said the bottles should be sterlised until baby is 1yr. I thought guidelines were to sterilise until 6 months. I've just got rid of my sterliser and do find it a faff, even in the microwave.

So if guidelines are 6 months should I just say I don't sterlise beyond this or should I follow Mum's wishes.

muffins
27-06-2011, 11:15 PM
The guidelines are now that it should be done untill 12 mths & have been that for least the last 2yrs, longer but cant remember when:rolleyes:

You do need to be doing it!

rickysmiths
27-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Yes guidelines say until 12 months. Infact it was when my daughter was ababy and she was 18 last Jan!

I would give the bottles back to mum every night and she can do it and return the bottles each morning. Thats what my parents always do.

love381
28-06-2011, 12:36 AM
It is 12 months at least now. I do it in the microwave in a tupperware dish of water, advice given to me by a HV friend so I didn't have to buy a new steriliser. x

onceinabluemoon
28-06-2011, 06:16 AM
As others have already said, guidelines are 12 months now. I would give mum back bottles daily too if you don't have a steriliser and just explain you cannot sterilise them as you have nothing to do it in.

The Juggler
28-06-2011, 06:22 AM
The guidelines are now that it should be done untill 12 mths & have been that for least the last 2yrs, longer but cant remember when:rolleyes:

You do need to be doing it!

if children are on bottles I would have always sterilised them until 12 months (was when my children were small (they are 11 and) as those latex teats are awful germ breeders. If children move onto cups though without teats then there is not the same need (IMO though health organisatioins may differ - but I reckon that's where the 'too clean causes allergies argument comes in again).

However, I don't sterlise any minded children's bottles. They come to me sterilised. I keep them in the fridge until needed. I rinse and/or wash them and send them home. :thumbsup:

miffy
28-06-2011, 06:43 AM
I've always thought the guidelines were 12 months - my "babies" are now 27 and 24 and it was 12 months when they were small.

Miffy xx

jelly15
28-06-2011, 06:53 AM
I always thought it was twelve months too, my babies bottles were and that was ninteen years ago. Bottles are brought sterilized every day to me.

mama2three
28-06-2011, 06:55 AM
I got a cheap steam steriliser and keep bottles here..Mums bring a new tub of milk when I ask..
I too thought it had always been 12m?

charleyfarley
28-06-2011, 07:06 AM
I got a cheap steam steriliser and keep bottles here..Mums bring a new tub of milk when I ask..
I too thought it had always been 12m?

Me too :thumbsup: I've always sterilised till 12 months even though I find it a right fath :D

Carol xx

JCrakers
28-06-2011, 08:43 AM
My kids are 12 and 9 and I always thought it was 1yr. Didnt know it had changed.

becky x

kindredspirits
28-06-2011, 08:50 AM
i send baby's bottles home to be sterilised - i did used to do one mindees with milton tablets in my washing up bowl at the end of the day but tbh i prefer parents to do it that way i can't be blamed for any mess-ups!
(although I was under the impression from when my DS was a baby (he's 4) that the guidelines were 6 months as once you start weaning you don't sterlise spoons etc?!?!?)

Rubybubbles
28-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Although I send home baby bottles each night, I do use milton tablets in a large cereal tub (clear thingy) for cups and spoons ect. I do this regardless of age tbh:blush: I still do my own children's sports lids once a week!

I find it quick and easy TBH and love the smell of milton! I also soak all bibs, muslims and hand cloths in napisan before each wash too!!

LOOPYLISA
28-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I've always thought the guidelines were 12 months - my "babies" are now 27 and 24 and it was 12 months when they were small.

Miffy xx

Same here, my babys 13 :thumbsup:

Tealady
28-06-2011, 12:31 PM
i send baby's bottles home to be sterilised - i did used to do one mindees with milton tablets in my washing up bowl at the end of the day but tbh i prefer parents to do it that way i can't be blamed for any mess-ups!
(although I was under the impression from when my DS was a baby (he's 4) that the guidelines were 6 months as once you start weaning you don't sterlise spoons etc?!?!?)

Kindred, my DD is five so perhaps it was changed for a bit when ours were babies.

I have an ice cream tub and some Milton under the sink so I'll use that. The bottles stay with me as Mum is forgetful and particular on the style as LO is new with me and she wants him to have familiar things.

JCrakers
28-06-2011, 12:38 PM
I didn't sterilise spoons,bowls etc when my two were weaned at 4 months 12yrs ago..only bottles and teats.
With my daughter I stopped sterilising a lot earlier than 12m (you do things differently with our own)
They were putting so much in their mouths anyway (toys etc)
Both turned out well :D

Minding is different though

Becky