PDA

View Full Version : getting a bit down about this - filling vacancies

Helcatt
27-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I feel like I have been constantly advertising and interviewing for months, in fact, I HAVE!

I keep meeting people, they really like what I do, really like the setting, blah blah blah, but for what ever reason, they don't actually sign up!

One back in April was for a lad 4 days a week going up to 5, I was the minder for them etc etc, lad went to nursery in May

Another couple, met at group, liked me, came to setting, met and played in the park, all really positive, said she'll be in touch to sort settling in dates - nothing

And it goes on

Just had a text today, from a lady that I met 3 times, not once, not twice but 3 times! To say that they have decided to go with the nursery near where she works rather a minder near home

I am seeing someone else on weds, I saw two people on sat, interviews went really well, though first one I wasn't sure - I think it was just that she was very well organised, had a list of questions and didn't deviate, second said that she's been offered an assisted place at nursery but if she used a minder it would be me and is going to look in to getting tax credits to help with the cost

Hubby is leaving his job to work with me, we planned to have it sorted so that when we come back from our summer hols, we'll be up and running when schools go back. But no-one is biting....

He is now getting paranoid that people are being put off by him, I am reminding him constantly that this is the way it goes, interviewed for nearly a year before taking on the last two part timers

But all this stress and feeling constantly under scrutiny and no extra work

Nothing you can say really, I am just frustrated

Thanks for listening/reading

Hx

Shirlwith3
28-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Know the feeling, I have had a few come earlier in the year never got back to me.
I only have one after school 3 dasy & that is it, not had a call for months, I do think it is our dog that is putting them off as he gets vry excited when adults arrive but is fine when kids arrive.
I have in the past year started to do dog boarding when I have a queit period to help bring some money in, I am at the moment a casual pet carer so might be doing doggie day care (like childminding). the more time I am not minding the more I don't want to do it any more.

miffy
28-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Have you tried asking for feedback from the ones you've met several times who decided to go elsewhere - might help you see if there is anything else you could put in place?

I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, sometimes it's just the way it goes, no-one bites for months then suddenly everyone wants you! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

JCrakers
28-06-2011, 08:50 AM
It gets you down doesnt it....

Ive had no enquiries at all since Nov so I cant even get anyone through the door so it sounds like there is a lot of work unlike here.

Ive had 4 potential sets of parents who are going to ring but never have.
Someone asked my neighbour if they knew anyone who he talks to every week day on the train to work, gave my number
A parent who's children come has passed my number on
Another parent has passed my number on to a friend
An enquiry from another childminder who couldnt fit them in.

But no one has rang...:angry:
Hope things look up for you soon

becky

~Chelle~
28-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Know the feeling hun, my neighbour came round with her little boy, said she really liked me ect.

As she was leaving she asked me about another minder round the corner, as she had seen her car but didn't know where she lived. Told her where she lived and she said "I might pop round and see her then" and that's it, nothing since, not even a no!!!:rolleyes:

Hate the instability of this job sometimes! xx

anthea jane
28-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I've been registered since 18th apr and not had one call,text email etc..., I'm advertising everywhere I can think of, did a leaflet drop, spoken to lots of other childminders but still nothing!! :( And as of this friday I'm out of work!!!! Keeping every thing crossed!!!!

kentcfis
28-06-2011, 11:53 AM
has your local authority FIS signed up to openfamilyservices - it would be another directory where you'd be advertised?

so far they have these authorities (http://partners.openfamilyservices.org.uk/?page_id=96) signed up.

your details would be uploaded like they were under childcare link to a national directory (http://www.openfamilyservices.org.uk)

rachel29
28-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I've had similar experiences, got registerd in March, just in time to NOT get the grants, and too early for the new grants, so had to fork out for things I didn't think I'd have to :panic: I have had lots of facebook queries, emails and stuff, only 4 parents round, 2 signed up, 2 no reply....it really gets you down when you invest time and effort an welcome strangers into your home then they can't be bothered to let you know, but thats the way it goes I guess! :eek: I've put posters in all local shops, have the car sign posted up, flyers and cards all over, ads in local parish mags.... but now the government has taken away a lot of the free ads, we're left struggling. I hope things pick up for you, but I reckon this line of work is very much swings and round a bouts, and sometimes you have to say no when people want you to bend over backwards, mindees and own kids in tow, to suit their requests (I am NOT a taxi service, lol!).

Helcatt
28-06-2011, 09:39 PM
has your local authority FIS signed up to openfamilyservices - it would be another directory where you'd be advertised?

so far they have these authorities (http://partners.openfamilyservices.org.uk/?page_id=96) signed up.

your details would be uploaded like they were under childcare link to a national directory (http://www.openfamilyservices.org.uk)

Thanks for that but typically, I am not in a borough that is listed.

There is another event running near here on the 9th of July, where the FIS arrange for parents to come and chat to minders so hoping something will come of that.

Glad I'm not the only one, thanks for the support

Chelle - that reminded me, a neighbour asked back in the spring and I said I was full, she asked again last week and I said I might be able to so gave her my card, heard nothing. Why ask if you are not that interested? Does my head in

HX

kentcfis
29-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Sorry to hear if your not in one of the ones signed up - quoting tesco i suppose every little helps...

you could always ask your FIS in your network meeting why they haven't signed up - Local FIS Details here (http://nafis.org.uk/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userslist&listid=7&Itemid=72)

~Chelle~
29-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for that but typically, I am not in a borough that is listed.

There is another event running near here on the 9th of July, where the FIS arrange for parents to come and chat to minders so hoping something will come of that.

Glad I'm not the only one, thanks for the support

Chelle - that reminded me, a neighbour asked back in the spring and I said I was full, she asked again last week and I said I might be able to so gave her my card, heard nothing. Why ask if you are not that interested? Does my head in

HX

I know, drives you mad doesn't it! x

Helcatt
29-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Emailed and asked for feedback

One - they just decided that a nursery worked better for them as it was close to where they work, not so worried about traffic holding them up and making them late, easy to get to if something wrong with child. IF they'd used a minder it would have been me

Two - old minder had a space, can do ad hoc now and does have an opening for september - would have used me otherwise, will come back to me if things change

Three - not sure she can afford it, student nurse, single mum - checking out what help she can get - wants to use me if gets sorted out

What can you do!!!!!!!!

HX

Bananabrain
29-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Sending phone ringing vibes.
They will come! And when they do, there will be loads at the same time!