PDA

View Full Version : Needing a little bit of support

Mgoudie
27-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi all, I'm new to all this, took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how to post this :eek: so I hope I've posted in the right place :o

I've had my ofsted inspection but still waiting for my CRB to come back and I'm also due to do my first aid course on the 9th & 16th July, so fingers crossed I shall be registered very soon, although I'm excited I'm a little apprehensive... A lot of people I have told about my chosen career have made quite negative comments which really gets me down, the comment which Has bothering me the most is about my age, I'm 24 and APPARENTLY I'm too young to child mind, this worries me because what if other people feel this way and don't want to leave their little one(s) with me..? :crying: (baring In mind I have a 4 year oid and a 16 month old of my own)

can anyone tell me their thoughts on this or if there is anyone else who feels the same? So glad I found this site, so far it's been a massive help

miffy
27-06-2011, 09:19 PM
There are some very narrow minded people around - just ignore them.

With two children of your own you have lots of experience and I know from when I first started, some people look for cm's with children of a similar age to their own so that mindee will have a playmate.

Good luck with your registration

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
27-06-2011, 09:23 PM
I am sure I have read of younger CM than you, so don't worry :)

I am more bothered that as I get older, that might put people off :blush: I am 46 with 2 teens. I also know there are others on the forum older than me :D

Age is just a number - if that's what puts people off, they are narrow minded and may be turning down a place that would be perfect:)

The Juggler
27-06-2011, 09:24 PM
i agree hon, ignore them. goodness most nurseries have staff starting at age 17 :panic:

green puppy
27-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Hi all, I'm new to all this, took me a good 15 minutes to figure out how to post this :eek: so I hope I've posted in the right place :o

I've had my ofsted inspection but still waiting for my CRB to come back and I'm also due to do my first aid course on the 9th & 16th July, so fingers crossed I shall be registered very soon, although I'm excited I'm a little apprehensive... A lot of people I have told about my chosen career have made quite negative comments which really gets me down, the comment which Has bothering me the most is about my age, I'm 24 and APPARENTLY I'm too young to child mind, this worries me because what if other people feel this way and don't want to leave their little one(s) with me..? :crying: (baring In mind I have a 4 year oid and a 16 month old of my own)

can anyone tell me their thoughts on this or if there is anyone else who feels the same? So glad I found this site, so far it's been a massive help

Agree with the others, most people that make negative comments have no clue of the job that we do. It's hard work physically, mentally and emotionally and I am proud to be a childminder. As to age, it doesn't matter as long as you provide the quality care and experiences that the children need. You will find that many parents have their own preferences as to the person they are looking for. Just be honest and confident and I'm sure you will be fine! Ignore the comments! If someone does not choose your setting then ask for feedback, but don't be disheartened, it's all part of the job and we are all unique in the service we provide as are the parents in their personal choices. Good luck and welcome to the forum!:)

lma
27-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I think parents go with who they and their child feel comfortable with. I'm 28:panic: and have been minding for 3 years so started when I was 25 and was told by other childminders in my area that I would struggle to find any mindees because of my age dispite the fact that I have 2 children of my own?? I would say I'm about 5+ or so years younger that the other childminders in my area.

Well I had been registered 1 month and had my first after schooler and a month later got a full time 2yr old and within 4 months I had all my eyfs spaces filled and now I can say I'm full and have a new baby signed up to start in sept when I lose a mindee to school and have a 'ready to pop' pregnant parent who has already said come jan I will be having her baby:clapping:

Dont lose any sleep with negative people like that hun:panic:

Jiorjiina
27-06-2011, 11:42 PM
A lot of people I have told about my chosen career have made quite negative comments which really gets me down, the comment which Has bothering me the most is about my age, I'm 24 and APPARENTLY I'm too young to child mind, this worries me because what if other people feel this way and don't want to leave their little one(s) with me..? :crying: (baring In mind I have a 4 year oid and a 16 month old of my own)

can anyone tell me their thoughts on this or if there is anyone else who feels the same?

I wouldn't worry. I'm 28, I don't have kids, and a number of people have still told me that a) I'm too young, and b) asked why I want to work with children when I don't have any (with that look and inflection that means that they're thinking nasty things about my intentions). :eek:

I have also had 'Don't you want a proper job/career?' and the somewhat backhanded 'You're a bit posh for it, aren't you' and 'You're too smart for such a dead end job'. Also a few people implying that I'm wasting my education.

Because obviously no one wants their child to be looked after by an intelligent, articulate, educated and capable adult. :rolleyes:

I just smile and nod politely. Occasionally I raise an eyebrow and give them a look of polite incredulity if their comment was particularly stupid.

The Juggler
28-06-2011, 06:27 AM
I wouldn't worry. I'm 28, I don't have kids, and a number of people have still told me that a) I'm too young, and b) asked why I want to work with children when I don't have any (with that look and inflection that means that they're thinking nasty things about my intentions). :eek:

I have also had 'Don't you want a proper job/career?' and the somewhat backhanded 'You're a bit posh for it, aren't you' and 'You're too smart for such a dead end job'. Also a few people implying that I'm wasting my education.

Because obviously no one wants their child to be looked after by an intelligent, articulate, educated and capable adult. :rolleyes:

I just smile and nod politely. Occasionally I raise an eyebrow and give them a look of polite incredulity if their comment was particularly stupid.

good for you :thumbsup: I get the same comments. I finished my degree a year ago and am still childminding. One person in particular is always telling me - that was a waste of time then, or after all that work you are still doing this????

Yes I do want to work in a job outside the home eventually but I want to work within the childminding sector still.

kel1983
28-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Im 28 and have no children myself so I was worried people would choose me because I didnt have the experience.

Dont listen to all those that say you are too young. You have experience with caring for your own children and people will see this.

All my mindees mums are in their early 20's. One of them said they liked the idea of me being a younger childminder (I dont feel young anymore :panic: )becuase they felt they werent being judged and could get on better with me. :eek:

Mgoudie
28-06-2011, 07:03 AM
After reading all your lovely replies I'm feeling much more up beat about everything, really nice to have some support on here as I'm new to my area and don't have any friends around here its nice to have some people to speak to who all have something in common xx

phoebe-alice
28-06-2011, 07:38 AM

I would turn a blind eye, comments like that are not worth listening to lovey. I began childminding when I was 17 and nothing was ever mentioned about my age, there have been some humps along the way but none age related. I am into my second year now and nearly full but one space, which I want to keep empty anyway. It can be a hard and lonely job at times but very rewarding and when parents come along and see your potential young or old it is lovely to find they trust you to look after their little ones. I hope everything can go smoothly for you. And try not to worry about people judging, I'm sure you will get on fine. :)

mandy moo
28-06-2011, 08:31 AM
I am sure I have read of younger CM than you, so don't worry :)

I am more bothered that as I get older, that might put people off :blush: I am 46 with 2 teens. I also know there are others on the forum older than me :D

Age is just a number - if that's what puts people off, they are narrow minded and may be turning down a place that would be perfect:)

Yes know that one, Im 45 in August, although my own kids arn't teens yet , they willl be 10 and 13 in September.
I also would take no notice of others that are so narrow minded.
Just raise an eyebrow and walk away..

suzyjane73
28-06-2011, 10:26 AM
You hold your head up and be proud. At least you are trying to earn an honest living! Your youth is in your favour as you will bags more energy than some or us older ones.
People have no idea what childminding actually involves and all the skills you need and learn. found my mother in law was a bit snobby about me childminding as though it was a waste of time, especially when she found out how little we charge per hour. She said "but that's less than minimum wage!". Eeeeeerh yeah! but I can go to work for more than minimum wage, pay a childminder to look after my two kids and be left with about £10 a week, or I can solve my own childcare problems and earn £200 a week. You do the maths!!!

Helen Dempster
28-06-2011, 11:05 AM
oooh, I've got my first aid course on those dates, you're not in Kent are you??

Don't worry about other people's negative comments hun - you'll always find this throughout life, no matter what the subject. I don't think you're too young at all to childmind. So, just concentrate on your business, do the best you can and you'll soon earn the respect you deserve :thumbsup:

Helen D
28-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Hi I am new here as well....not sure what I am doing here or if this message will be here its meant to go......sorry to everyone if I have got it worng.....I have been minding for many years now....and I am a mother....two girls and a step son.......seems to me some narrow minded people out in the real word have worried you without good reason......I have no idea why people do that its so unkind I promise you therewill be people out there who will see you as a wonderful childminder and will want to place their cildren with you. I wsh you well in every aspect of life and know that there are alot of amazing childminders in forums like this one wo will support and advise you......let thosenegativepeople carry on, rise above them because I am sure you will be wonderful. Helen D xx

~Chelle~
28-06-2011, 02:24 PM
I know of a few minders who are under 25 and have no children and are successful childminders.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, you definitely have experience with your own two children. I don't think that many people will be put off by age at all and may actually want their child looked after by a younger person, same as some may prefer a more mature person. It all comes down to personal preference. I wouldn't let it put you off.

Good luck x

zippy
28-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi I was 19 when i started with no children of my own, parents didn't mind a bit, always had loads of work, you'll be fine

nat222
28-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I am 24 years old i thought my age may put people of but it hasnt. I have had loads of parents come see me and want me to look after there children and will be full straight away once im registered so dont let people put you off.I have a daughter who is 3 years old.