PDA

View Full Version : I have 'the' forms - I think I should just go for it!

teacherinwales
27-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I called CSSIW for a briefing session a couple of days ago but was told they no longer hold them and that all of the information I need is on the website. So I went to the website and found, 'application to register as a childminder'. Do I just fill this in and send it off?

I've not had any supply teaching work with the council for months. I'm going to register with an agency again - the pay is less and I won't get the chance to get to know all of the schools I work for very well, but I will get work. Even if it's a day a week it's better than nothing. My thoughts are that I can supply while I set myself up as a childminder and any days where I don't have any childminding work, I can do supply.

My OH is concerned though, as we've just moved and money is tight, that we are going to have to pay out money to make the house child friendly. He's also concerned that I will have to chase parents for money.

The forms are here, now I just need some encouragement to complete them, and some quotes I can take from you to give to my OH. ;) He needs convincing, he's not sure what CM involves and I think he's concerned I'll be paying out more than I make and at the moment money is tight.

Thank you to you all who read and reply - this forum has been very helpful.

babymad
27-06-2011, 01:08 PM
just do it! lol, no one is going to lock you up if you change your mind later, childminding is easy to dip in and out of. ive been on maternity leave and im just getting back into it, last year i had 3 months of due to lack of enquiries.

it takes ages to get set up so the sooner you get the ball rolling the better i say.
the biggest bit of advice i can give is dont spend a fortune on changing your house, buying highchairs,cots, toys ect untill you have to!!! do the impertant bits first, i went out and bought a double buggy a highchair and tons of toys, didnt need most of it untill i had been reg for over a year as i only had afterschoolers!! the money would have been better spent on a new gate and a playstation!! :eek:
good luck

teacherinwales
27-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks. It's a big decision for me as it means no longer looking for a permanent teaching job after years of recent training. So I had given myself until the summer holidays to see if I got a job - and I haven't.
Money needs to be spent making the living room look nice. As we've just moved in our TV is on the floor and I can't stand our beige living room. And I'm sure the look of the house will influence parents' opinions. Thanks for the advice. I'd better get form-filling!

teacherinwales
27-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I've just looked through the forms - I'm expected to give a plan of the house, and tell them how many children I wish to look after. :panic:

miffy
27-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Just wanted to wish you luck - I'm sure the forms will seem less daunting tomorrow! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

caz3007
27-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Good luck.

In 6 years of minding, I havent had a problem with payments. I have had lots of parents and children pass through my doors and they all have been good about paying me.

As to making the lounge look really nice, dont worry too much. My front room (the one I use for minding) is rather battered and bruised at the moment, definately needs decorating and I dont have any problems finding parents. Only one has visited and not signed up. Although you do need to look at safety and like Babymad said, dont buy huge amounts of stuff until you know the age of any children you are going to look after.

If you dont have children of your own and you have friends with children, then let it be known that you are starting up childminding and bet donations of toys and bits will be forthcoming. The Aunt of one of my mindies started fostering and she didnt have to buy a huge amount, I gave her loads of stuff and so did other friends.

Above all, good luck and hope it works out for you

teacherinwales
27-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Thank you. I have a children filled family so I will tell them to keep unwanted toys for me.
I'll have to call CSSIW tomorrow as I have been told by them there are no longer briefing sessions but the application form states I must carry out a pre-registration course before sending off the form so I'll double check tomorrow.
I also have to send off policies and procedures but I haven't got that far yet.
I'll call CSSIW again tomorrow.

I'm feeling quite excited about it now I've made a decision. :jump for joy:

teacherinwales
28-06-2011, 08:39 AM
There's obviously been crossed wires. There are briefing sessions but held by the NCMA now not CSSIW. So quite a few phone calls later I am booked for a briefing session for 13th July and the course is in September so I have a while to wait yet. :( BUT this gives me time to sort my living room out. :)
NCMA lady was very pleased with the research I have already done. I think she gets the impression that I am serious about this. :thumbsup: