PDA

View Full Version : shift work

mamaladybird
21-12-2007, 07:08 PM
HELP!!!How do you charge for shift work???? Got a new mindee starting next year and mum works shifts so some weeks she will need more hours than others, do I charge her for the hours she uses, or the maximum hours she needs as I won't be able to fill these hours when she doesn't need them?? Does that make sense???

carolinel
21-12-2007, 08:17 PM
I work for a mindee who's Dad is a fireman. Mum works 8-4 in a bank.
I provide care for when Dad is at work. He obviously works shifts. The hours they need me vary,

7.15-1.15 or
7.15-4.15 or
9.15-1.15

As they are taking up a full time space and the hours cover a full day they are contracted to pay me 7.15-4.15 everyday, regardless of the actual hours attended.

I know there are probably some on here that would only charge for the actual hours used. The parents though actually told me they would pay for the full day as they realise it's taking a full time space and they need me to keep all day available.

I hope this helps you to come to a decison on what to charge. I suppose it also depends on how much you need the work if another childminder was to only charge for the actual hours. A nursery though would charge for a full session, so bear that in mind.

fionamal
21-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I would charge the maximum hours she would need and that keeps you covered for the times that you only have them to 1.15 and cannot re-sell the time.

susi513
23-12-2007, 05:25 PM
In the past I have had arrangements where the contract stated the reserved time period (ie each day/hour the parent might need) and when the parent must notify of which part of the reserved time period they do/don't need (eg by 6pm each friday or by 5th of each month). then they paid full fees for the booked time period and 1/2 fees for remainder of reserved time period, subject to agreed minimum weekly fee.

Banana
29-12-2007, 10:51 PM
I agree!

Charge for the maximum hours she will use and then you are not loosing out on any money.

I try to avoid shift workers as it can get complicated but have done it in the past and didnt charge for all the hours I should have and so I was turning away work that would have been more profitable becuase of it. Not very equal opps of me is it, but I think I should be able to chose the hours I want to work not the other way round

xx

ajs
29-12-2007, 11:01 PM
i also charge for the maximum hours needed and write on my contract the hours of the longest week.
it does mean though that if you're charging you must be available so if she wants to use you you can't say sorry i am full