PDA

View Full Version : Please help - shift work, new baby and fees

robynsrascals
27-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Hello, Please bear with me with a long question. I started minding in March after Maternity Leave. I have a two year old daughter and an 8 month old son. I took on a five year old schoolie on a shift basis, shifts supposed to be given to me in advance, mum and dad police officers. Very early drop off 5.30am and late pick ups. All was ok, although not sure i charge enough and then mum found out she was pregnant, I get baby next year in January when 4 months old (baby not born yet) I have a 3 year old mindee 3 days a week and now have 3 boys after schoolies 5, 7 and 9. I have a variation verbally in place for 4 under 5's on certain days agreed in prinicipal and will be put on cert once baby born (continuity of care)
My problem is every early start i text the night before to check and last night it was meant to be 7.15am drop off, get a text bak saying no shift changed now 5.30am I say i can't do it (this has happened numerous times and is now affecting my family and our life) Mum now in a panic as I basically said i need to review contracts and need at leats 24 hours notice especially when i have a tiny baby being dropped off. I only charge £4.00 an hour and £5.00 for unsociable hours. I need to put my fees up In September as mindees are eating me out of house and home due to food price increases, so am going to go up to £5.00 an hour schoolies and £6.00 per hour unsociable. BUT my question is how do you charge for these shifts for 5 year old and baby? I admit i have been very silly just taking them on and njot thinking it through but we have a meeting Weds to sort it all out, husband should be getting new shift rota and we can arrange it all all over again! I don't know whether i am coming or going at the moment. below is a sample three weeks rota:
20/JunMonday
21/JunTuesday 5.30am – 9am – 3pm – 6.30pm
22/JunWednesday
23/JunThursday
24/JunFriday
25/JunSaturday
26/JunSunday
27/JunMonday 7.15am – 9am – 3pm – 6.30pm
28/JunTuesday 3pm – 6.30pm
29/JunWednesday
30/JunThursday 4.30pm – 6.30pm
01/Jul Friday 5.30am – 9am – 3pm – 6.30pm
02/Jul Saturday
03/Jul Sunday
04/Jul Monday
05/Jul Tuesday
06/Jul Wednesday
07/Jul Thursday 7.15am – 9am – 3pm – 6.30pm
08/Jul Friday 3pm – 6.30pm

Please help me, should i be charging a minimum amount each week? Bbay will be full days this rota is reflective of schoolie.

Thank you in advance.:)

Penny1959
27-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Yes I think you should charge a minimum per week (some would charge for full week as have to keep place open all week). Also you need to decide when your unsocialable hours are - each of us think differently but you know know which hours cause you stress - so those will be the ones you charge extra for.

If parents can't promise not to change shifts at short notice then they should pay for full week and the maximum fee taking into account the unsociable hours.

Penny :)

clio0602
27-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Tbh I would just charge for a full time place for baby with a specified max number of unsociable hrs included and maybe just a day rate for schoolie for a set number of days iyswim. Also you have to make sure you get enough notice if change shifts I would want 48hrs.

Saying that I prob wouldn't take on such an early start unless I was only taking on that family.

Good luck with meeting x

blue bear
27-06-2011, 04:14 PM
That three week rota doesn't use Wednesday, if they never use Wednesday I would charge 4 days every week regardless of use minimum 6 hour day with any extra hours in any one day charged extra. I would not vharge minimum hours for a week because that could mean working some very long days and them keep swapping days. Unsocial to me is before 7 in the morning and after 6 in the evening.

I would expect 48 hours notice but if I could do it would charge double for anti social hours as it messes family around.

robynsrascals
27-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank you for you replies, they really do help me. Mum actually got very annoyed with me that I am not happy about such short notice (ie night before) for shift changes and dad just picked up and a definite atmosphere :(
I worry so much and had to put my business "hat" on yesterday.... but still feel rotten. Joked if they wanted to pay me a yearly salary would be at their beck and call!!!

Thank you so much for replying. I just need to find those guts that may well have been washed away in the toilet before Wednesday!!! :panic:

catminder
28-06-2011, 09:12 AM
That three week rota doesn't use Wednesday, if they never use Wednesday I would charge 4 days every week regardless of use minimum 6 hour day with any extra hours in any one day charged extra. I would not vharge minimum hours for a week because that could mean working some very long days and them keep swapping days. Unsocial to me is before 7 in the morning and after 6 in the evening.

I would expect 48 hours notice but if I could do it would charge double for anti social hours as it messes family around.

I agree with fi-fi, also when the new baby starts it would be a good boost to your income. Hope it works out ok

Alison x