PDA

View Full Version : Possible complaint

little chickee
27-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I have just had a parent pull her child out from my setting as the child got a nappy rash whilst in my care and mum has blamed me.

She has accused me of leaving her child in a dirty nappy for at least 6 hours!! Causing the child to get a nappy rash - she isnt happy and has terminated with immediate effect.

Do i need to inform SCSWIS?

I am writing it up as an incident and will keep it on file but i'm concerned that if parent puts in a complaint to SCSWIS they will ask why i didnt inform them.

Goatgirl
27-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi,
Sorry you've been accused of this. Is there something else going on which would make the parent do this: notice period payment due etc?!

Its horrible to be accused of neglect, which is what this amounts to :(... why is she so convinced this must be the reason LO has a rash. Seems very odd unless she is very inexperienced.

I'm unfamiliar with requirements for notification of complaints in your area, sorry.

If it was me in your position though, I'd treat it as a complaint to me and not be calling Ofsted about it. I would follow my own complaints procedure: address the complaint and look at my policies and procedures to try to ensure the situation doesn't happen again. (maybe keep a record of actual times of changes, soiled or wet, any creams etc used.. give out leaflets about nappy rash to parents so that they know what can cause it etc?!)

I would write a record of everything that has been said between me and the parent about the matter and also have a written account of the day the rash appeared if possible, with nappy change times etc, making sure I counter any and all points parent has used to back up her claim.

If the parent has taken the child out of your setting but owes you notice money I would pursue this as normal, so they don't think they can frighten you into letting them off.

Stay calm: behave like a professional childcarer who has to deal with an unfounded claim. Hope it all works out ok. :thumbsup:

very best wishes,
Wendy :)

little chickee
27-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Wendy.

I've been expecting mum to hand in her notice any time soon as she has become registered as a cm herself and is just waiting on getting some mindees but this came out of the blue.

She is due me 4 weeks pay in lieu of notice but do not think she has done this just to get out of contract.

This is her first child and tbh it must be the 1st time she has had a nappy rash. I have cared for this child for a year and i'm gutted that at the first instance of anything she has pulled her out.

I just want to make sure i don't get myself into trouble - and yes i am going to persue the notice money.

rickysmiths
27-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Do you know if the child has had any different foods recently, My own daughter at six months got nappy rash within a day to the point her bottom was bleeding, she had never had it before. We discovered that it was fromage fais that caused it.

It is frightening how quickly babies bottoms turn. It could also be a urine infection, have they started to drink juice, has someone given it to the undiluted by mistake are they teething???

I would treat this as a complaint and follow my complaints procedure.

However before I officially write to the parents I would want to meet with them, go to their house. I would say that I am very concerned and upset at what has happened and want the opportunity to discuss it with them. You will need to be quite forcefull in a nice way and try and make it clear that you will be meeeting with them if you see what I mean!

The parents are understandably upset if they haven't experienced this before, but they need to give you the chance to give your view. I would use the new Childminder card as well, because in a years time this mum could find herself in the same position and how would she feel? Also that you don't want them to leave with ill feeling and were looking forward to working with her as a childminder. Sounds as if childminding is going to be a Baptism of Fire for her!

I always tell my parents how many nappy changes their child has had in a day. The parent provides the nappies so they can see how many have been used. What system did you have with this mum, could she not see that you had used the nappies?

The notice period I would say is still payable. But don't be surprised if you don't get it.

Because I have had my fingers burnt. I take a 4 weeks fees Deposit when parents sign the contract and there are no exceptions to this. This is returnable only if I then can't offer the place for their child, it is lost if they don't take up the place for their child. If the child starts and all fees are up to date when notice is given, then the Deposit is used to cover the 4 weeks notice period. The hen pay their fees in advance. Doing it this way I am not out of pocket, the notice period is always covered and I have 4 weeks fees it hand in cases of non-payment. :thumbsup:

caz3007
27-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I have a LO who has terrible nappy rash and its when her poo is a red colour and she has had tomato based tea at home. Had this with another LO and my own son. You can change them pretty quick but their bottoms are still red raw and sore.

I hope this mum doesnt get a child like that, cos she will be shocked.

I think I would also like to chat with the parents face to face and let them know that there is no way you would leave a child in a soiled nappy for any longer than necessary and certainly not 6 hours!!!!

wendywu
27-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Do you not put nappy changes in the dairy ? What makes her think that you left a child for 6 hours in the same nappy. She cannot have proof of this at all.

Children can get nappy rash through teething or something they have eaten.

She is a very silly woman if she makes a complaint to Ofsted and then becomes a CM herself. :panic:

little chickee
27-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I just don't think i can do a face to face meeting.

I don't think that parents would agree to it and i'm not sure what it will acheive. They have made up their minds that i neglected their child - and have a doctors opinion to back them up - and nothing i say will change their minds.

I have been so upset by it that i would just get upset again and I don't think that would be helpful.

I have found out that she has already placed her child with another cm.

I just can't quite believe that after a year of looking after her child to high standard she is so quick to think the worst of me.

gigglinggoblin
27-06-2011, 01:23 PM
I find it difficult to believe that they have a doctor saying the only reason for the nappy rash is being left in a dirty nappy. Mine always got the most awful bleeding rash when teething, nothing you could do to stop it and it just errupted without warning. I would ask which doctor it was and I would pull them up on it, even if it was the case that they were left in a nappy I cant see how they can say for sure and they shouldnt be telling parents this.

little chickee
27-06-2011, 01:31 PM
I have the name of the doctor but will they discuss it with me?

Surely they are bound by confidentiality.

jumpinjen
27-06-2011, 01:48 PM
How awful for you.....

to reiterate what the others have said, document that day and the nappy changes done, that you used nappies provided by mum/dad from the child's bag or whatever, and follow your complaints procedure by keeping copy for yourself, send one to parents, document all communication from mum/dad....

if you feel able then ask for the four weeks notice money as entitled by your contract.

It is highly unlikely that a doctor would put themselves in a position to say that nappy rash was definately caused by a nappy being on for six hoursThey are vague enough about things like that at the best of times and cannot prove it, neither can the parents.

Documentation and following your policy covers your back, as does making any changes to your working practice following it such as documenting time/contents of nappy changes to prevent future misunderstandings.

In my past experience, parents are very quick to jump to the worst conclusion however well you have previously cared for their little one and there is nothing you can do about that so chin up, do the paperwork and carry on as normal!

hugs, Jen x

rickysmiths
27-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Oh dear. I agree with the others and would ask, when I write to them for a copy of the doctors opinion. I don't know of any doctor that would go along with a theory like the parents have presented him with. If they said the child had been left in a dirty nappy for six hours then he might of agreed it could have been the cause, but I'm sure he would have pointed out many others as well.

As others have said document everything that has been done and what the parent has said the doctor has said. You will have the doctors name on the childs record add it to the incident report. Note all the proof you have that the nappy was not left as long as the parent has claimed.

Write to them saying you are very upset at the serious allegations they have made and you request a meeting with them to discuss them with you. That you would like to assure them that you have always changed nappies frequently and never left a child in a soiled nappy for an hour, never mind the six hours they claim.

Point out that there could be any number of reasons why a child suddenly has a bout of bad nappy rash such as teething, a food upset such a a new juice, youghurt, fromage frais. etc etc and that any GP or Health Visitor would be happy to confirm that.

Also put in an invoice for the notice period as per contract and say you expect payment in full within 14 days. State that if payment isn't recieved you will have no alternative but to put it in the hands of your solicitor.

Point out that if you have to follow this route to recover the money it could result in a County Court Judgement which could affect their Credit Rating.

Also remind them that it is their responsibility to inform Tax Credits about any changes in circumstances including a change of Registered Childminder.

At the end of the day if they won't meet with you there is nothing you can do. But if you can show that you have done everything in your power to get them to meet and to try and resolve the situation, then that is all you can do.

little chickee
27-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Do you not put nappy changes in the dairy ? What makes her think that you left a child for 6 hours in the same nappy. She cannot have proof of this at all.

Children can get nappy rash through teething or something they have eaten.

She is a very silly woman if she makes a complaint to Ofsted and then becomes a CM herself. :panic:

I think the issue is that she doesnt believe my account of the day. Just because you write something in a diary you cant prove that its true :(