PDA

View Full Version : seesaw?

mushpea
24-06-2011, 09:17 PM
my partner was given a see saw the other day,, its a lovley wooden one and would go lovley with my natural look theme for the garden but my garden is all block paved and I dont know weather to let the children use it or not,,my first thought was to put down foam mats under where they will go up and down but it spins round too so not sure how to do this,, woud you use a seesaw like this in a block paved garden and if so how woud you RA it

Jiorjiina
25-06-2011, 12:13 AM
If it spins around, you would have to spread any matting out in a square or a circle covering the whole area that the see saw covers. (Slightly wider than the circumference of the circle that the see saw makes, if that makes sense!)

Personally, I wouldn't use it in a block paved garden unless it had foam or rubber matting (http://www.rubbermattinguk.co.uk/rubbermattingdetail.asp?m=3&p=21) underneath it, as the risk of someone falling off and hurting themselves on paving slabs would be quite high without it.

QualityCare
25-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Difficult one, my garden is also all paved, l wouldn't go out and buy a see-saw for that reason but as you have been given it is there any way the spinning mechanism can be dismantled? so that you just have a normal see-saw. Either way l would risk asses as for use by older children only 5+ and only when you are out with them, they get off if at anytime you have to go indoors, perhaps imposing a no spinning ban (if it can't be dismantled) depending on how sensible the chidren are only allow younger children on it only when there are 2 adults to stay 1 with each child. If you have foam mats put them down. Normally if you go to the park you would have 1 older child on the see-saw and you holding the younger one if you had 2 young ones you would say no to the see-saw so the same rule applies at home.
Put on RA that you will assess the use of the see-saw each time they go out, have a policy stating that as it is on hard ground you will RA, children will be closely supervised, older children only if any inappropriate use it will be removed and that you will make sure parents are aware that you have it.