PDA

View Full Version : do you buy a gift when one of your children leave

lou lou
24-06-2011, 04:15 PM
this september i am due to have two mindees leave i have had them since babys and to be honest going to find it hard when they go and thought about buying them a gift but unsure what to get them has anyone got any ideas or do you not buy them anything when they leave.

debratina
24-06-2011, 04:21 PM
hi
i have had a mindee leave today :( i have had him since he was 9months and hes now 3 1/2 i brought him some work books and stationary things as his mum is now working from home. i am also putting a photo album together too. mum brought me this beautiful me to you figure with an engraved plaque on it. i have been in tears lots today

love381
24-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I have always given gifts to children who leave and always the same gifts! Always a photo album/book - more special for those that have been with me longer!! It's more about their time with me than a learning journal etc. x

Dragonfly
24-06-2011, 05:05 PM
I must be really mean as I dont give a leaving present :blush: had so many come and go over the years.

babymad
24-06-2011, 05:26 PM
this is going to sound horrible but it depends on the child/family!!:blush: :blush:

i had a lovely little girl (my first full timer) from a year old untill she was 2 and a bit, mum and dad both fantastic people, great payers, great to talk to, always made a comment in the LJ & DD and when she left i spoiled her rotten a:eek: she got a lovely money box and big rag doll, framed photos aswell as a photo albulm, all the photos i ever took of her (1000's lol) on disk with music, my after schoolers made a big card for her that i took into school to be laminated so she can keep it, we had a big party for her and we all cryed buckets when she left :( , (even hubby) i still miss her and mum still sends me photos of her and she still sleeps with the rag doll :jump for joy:

however when my after schoolers left they all got an activity pack with crayons, pains ect and the one that left at christmas got a selection box and a santa teddy, thats it!:blush:

when i gave notice to a full timer she got nothing :blush: :blush: i do feel bad now thinking about it but...... she was horrible, bulied my own children, tortured my cat, ruined my house practicaly! swore at me,called me horrible names and reduced me to tears DAILY, her parents never payed me on time, laughed at me when i asked them to do any paper work (even took alot of work to get them to sign a contract as they thought it was 'a silly idea'! ) said things like 'do you ever think you will get a 'proper job' and called me 'the baby sitter'!!!!

love381
24-06-2011, 06:05 PM
this is going to sound horrible but it depends on the child/family!!:blush: :blush:

i had a lovely little girl (my first full timer) from a year old untill she was 2 and a bit, mum and dad both fantastic people, great payers, great to talk to, always made a comment in the LJ & DD and when she left i spoiled her rotten a:eek: she got a lovely money box and big rag doll, framed photos aswell as a photo albulm, all the photos i ever took of her (1000's lol) on disk with music, my after schoolers made a big card for her that i took into school to be laminated so she can keep it, we had a big party for her and we all cryed buckets when she left :( , (even hubby) i still miss her and mum still sends me photos of her and she still sleeps with the rag doll :jump for joy: Must admit I've done similar myself - you know the ones to spoil!!

however when my after schoolers left they all got an activity pack with crayons, pains ect and the one that left at christmas got a selection box and a santa teddy, thats it!:blush:

when i gave notice to a full timer she got nothing :blush: :blush: i do feel bad now thinking about it but...... she was horrible, bulied my own children, tortured my cat, ruined my house practicaly! swore at me,called me horrible names and reduced me to tears DAILY, her parents never payed me on time, laughed at me when i asked them to do any paper work (even took alot of work to get them to sign a contract as they thought it was 'a silly idea'! ) said things like 'do you ever think you will get a 'proper job' and called me 'the baby sitter'!!!!

I can't believe the amount of people who have said to me about a 'proper job' - I could actually scream!!! x

Mrs Pootle
24-06-2011, 07:17 PM
I have an after schoolie leaving me at the end of this school term. He's only been with me since the beginning of he year, but I am going to get him a little something as it is me that's given notice and I do feel a bit awful for doing that. He's a nice enough lad, but he and my dd wind each other up and one or the other is upset each day he is here. I've decided to have a break from after schoolies for a while, at least until my dd is a little older and happier about the situation.
Anyway back to the question about presents - I am thinking along the lines of hama beads (small pack) as he really likes these, or maybe a book to read. I won't be spending more than £5:blush:

Chimps Childminding
24-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a lo leaving in July as she is going to nursery full time in September. June and I buy things that we think would make good presents for the mindees as/when we see them during the year and bought a Peppa Pig Guitar and Microphone in the sale in Wilkinsons after Christmas. This LO loves Peppa Pig so we are going to give it her as a leaving present (she was going to get it for her birthday but won't be here then). Guess we won't be too popular with mummy and daddy :eek: :D

blue bear
25-06-2011, 03:01 AM
I try to buy something that they have enjoyed here, lo who leaves in the summer is getting junior monopoly as it's her favourite game here, plus learning journey.

JulieA
25-06-2011, 07:16 AM
When mine leave they get all their personalised things from here - Learning Journey, name cards (kind of like a who's here today, goes on the board), placemat (made using their handprints, name and photo) - I also make a small photo album of my favourite photos of the child (just a cheap album 50p from Tesco), and a framed photo of the child with the other children they spend their time with at my house, so they can remember their friends. These things are all really cheap, but are always well received.

In addition I usually get a small gift for the child - depending on their interests, and circumstances. One child was moving so I took her to Build-a-Bear to choose a special friend; another child really enjoyed the workbooks, so I bought her a set along with some felt pens. On another occassion I had a child who enjoyed a particular jigsaw that I had so I let him take it with him.

You shouldn't feel obliged to get anything though, but that is the problem with us childminders, we get really attached to the children, and feel like part of the family. :blush:

Dragonfly
25-06-2011, 12:46 PM
When I said I dont get the child a gift I meant I dont go out and buy them something, But they do take their place mat etc that we made and they use here and of course the LJ.Most of the children are local and I still see now and again so I dont feel the need to be buying presents.I leave that for birthdays and Christmas.

samb
25-06-2011, 02:50 PM
I have only had 1 leave so far and she left at end of term near xmas so bought her a xmas gift - didn't see the need to buy an extra one. Think I would always give something small - not that we're obliged to, it's just nice. :) Quite like the idea of the little pack of things to remind them of being here like some of you have mentioned. Great idea.