PDA

View Full Version : Screaming baby

buzzy bee
24-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Do you ever let babies cry to sleep (with permission from Mum)!

I have one who cries no matter what I do and sometimes I let her cry because I have the other children to see to, and she will cry whether I'm rocking her or if I get her up to play etc, but I worry that the neighbours will report me to Ofsted!!

Penny1959
24-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Some babies do seem to need to cry for a short while before dropping of to sleep. Does mum say if baby does this at home (in other words is it part of babies home routine).

Of course you will not let baby become distressed, or cry for a prolonged amount of time - and will work with mum to overcome the crying to sleep.

don't worry too much about Ofsted - keep records of discussions with mum, including how long mum has agreed baby can cry for, and notes for how long baby cries and if not in same room as you, when you check on baby.

If it is not baby's home routine to cry - try to implement as much of home routine as possible - or even try something different.

One of mine came with 'instructions' that liked to sleep in a cot but had to rock in arms and sing to and then once asleep put in cot. Well after a week of this it just was not working and everytime tried to put him in cot he woke and screamed. So with mum's agreement - I tried him in a lie back pushchair - and he took to it straight away - one round of twinkle twinkle and 5 mins rocking in pushchair and he would be fast asleep, ithin 2 weeks we had stopped the singing and the rocking and he went straight to sleep.

Penny :)

Andrea08
24-06-2011, 01:08 PM
ohhh i can see you now.... i take turns with my mum to push pram up and down up and down up and ...ye you got me she is so tired but fights it till she nodds off, starting to do better now,

my dd would only sleep in my arms or in the car a quick turn round the block and she would be fast asleep :D

sarah707
24-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I have left them crying for a short time in the past if they usually do it as part of their routine.

I had a little one recently who was playing me up - he went down fine at home but would cry bitterly here for attention and picking up. Mum said to leave him he had to get his sleep and she was right, he soon stopped.

I think you have to make a judgement depending on the child and what parents say :D

Vic3003
24-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I have one 20 month old whose Mum said to put in the cot, he'll cry for 5 minutes, then he'll sleep. It is true. it does work but I have to say it was the longest 5 minutes of my life!

It seems so much worse when it's somebody else's baby crying in your care.

Normally he has a nap in the buggy on the school run at lunchtime and this is less stressful.

candylove13
24-06-2011, 04:53 PM
I look after LO who always cries at nap time, but after 5 minutes is sound asleep. He is like this at home and have discussed plan with Mom; if crying persists then clearly he won't drop off so I bring him back downstairs.

Try not to worry about Ofsted. At my recent inspection, said LO was over tired and I had to explain situation. He cried for about 5 mins before falling asleep and it was just when she was feeding back :blush: She didn't blink an eye and just carried on :)