PDA

View Full Version : Genuine text or a bit 'odd?'

mama2three
24-06-2011, 06:34 AM
had a text yesterday and cant decide!

Them...

Hi there i saw ur no n wondrd cud u help i hope txt is ok 4 now as im in an area with hardly any signal if so pls txt bak thx.

me..

what is is you need please? ( wasnt even 100% sure it was minding related!)

Them..

hi there thanx 4 gettin bak wat r ur prices n how long u dun this n wats ur name n also cud u help me re my new business plse.

Havent answered as it all just seems a little 'off' to me , what do you think? Am I just judging based on the fact that I despise textspeak or does it not seem quite right to you either. Thanks!

boxtree7
24-06-2011, 06:36 AM
I would not reply to this ... its a little strange normally a message would start with i got you number from .... do you have a place for

ajs
24-06-2011, 06:42 AM
It sounds to me like a childminder starting up asking for help with her new business. I would steer clear

jelly15
24-06-2011, 06:44 AM
It sounds to me like a childminder starting up asking for help with her new business. I would steer clear

I agree, sounds like a new CM

karensmart4
24-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Nope, I wouldn't reply. I bet they dont contact you again either :(

Mookins
24-06-2011, 06:49 AM
defo sounds like a new cm....i recently had an email enquiry
Hi how much do you charge and can i see pictures of your setting?

ummmm....now i know theres a new cm starting up near me so this was distinctly fishy:mad:

i wish they would just be honest and ask for help

xx

FussyElmo
24-06-2011, 07:16 AM
had a text yesterday and cant decide!

Them...

Hi there i saw ur no n wondrd cud u help i hope txt is ok 4 now as im in an area with hardly any signal if so pls txt bak thx.

me..

what is is you need please? ( wasnt even 100% sure it was minding related!)

Them..

hi there thanx 4 gettin bak wat r ur prices n how long u dun this n wats ur name n also cud u help me re my new business plse.
Havent answered as it all just seems a little 'off' to me , what do you think? Am I just judging based on the fact that I despise textspeak or does it not seem quite right to you either. Thanks!

At leats she did tell you and didnt pretend she was a parent.

I would probably tell her to come to a group I go and introduce herself properly and then I would decide if i wanted to help or not :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
24-06-2011, 07:18 AM
Depends I would think, on whether you feel you would want to help or not, but certainly not by text or text speak - can't abide that lol (mainly cause I can't decipher it)

Ask if she(?) wants to meet up to discuss what it is they actually want, and if they don't or don't turn up then that should put a stop to the texts at the same time.... :rolleyes:

As a 'new' childminder I can sort of understand the approach, whilst I wouldn't do it that way myself, but they could be genuine, maybe not realising how unprofessional it is.

We all have to start somewhere.....

rickysmiths
24-06-2011, 07:19 AM
At leats she did tell you and didnt pretend she was a parent.

I would probably tell her to come to a group I go and introduce herself properly and then I would decide if i wanted to help or not :thumbsup:

I agree. I think texting like that is so rude. But then, I am a little old fashioned like that! :blush:

muffins
24-06-2011, 07:24 AM
I recieved a text a few months back & all it said was-

Whats you going rate please?

Needless to say I did not reply! Going rate for what I wondered:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

babymad
24-06-2011, 07:36 AM
maybe this person doesnt speak much english? i have a few polish parents who text me and it can be a little hard to read. i would reply back ' if you would like more information please call to arrange a meeting'

Newbie1!
24-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Kath - please dont reply!! I can tell you exactly what it is and trust me....unless you are desperate to earn a bit of extra money you dont want to get involved!!

The person texting is actually a man who is in the process of setting up a glamour model agency (under the cover of a pampering salon). He is trying to get childcare providers on board to entice both them and the parents they work for into going and meeting him - he makes out that if you get one of your parents/contacts to go along then you will get free pampering!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ripeberry
24-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Kath - please dont reply!! I can tell you exactly what it is and trust me....unless you are desperate to earn a bit of extra money you dont want to get involved!!

The person texting is actually a man who is in the process of setting up a glamour model agency (under the cover of a pampering salon). He is trying to get childcare providers on board to entice both them and the parents they work for into going and meeting him - he makes out that if you get one of your parents/contacts to go along then you will get free pampering!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What a freak! Maybe the police should know?

Newbie1!
24-06-2011, 08:06 AM
What a freak! Maybe the police should know?

Id wondered about that but wasnt sure he was actually doing anything wrong?? Im happy to give them a call if the general feeling is that it ought to be reported tho? xx

miffy
24-06-2011, 10:50 AM

Wierd - but why on earth would he target childminders?

I'm not sure he's done anything wrong either - I'm assuming he told you what his business was but I think I might let the police know - they may have more info on him. I just think it's odd he's targeting child carers - maybe glamour modelling is not all he's into.

Miffy xx

Ripeberry
24-06-2011, 01:31 PM
Wierd - but why on earth would he target childminders?

I'm not sure he's done anything wrong either - I'm assuming he told you what his business was but I think I might let the police know - they may have more info on him. I just think it's odd he's targeting child carers - maybe glamour modelling is not all he's into.

Miffy xx

It just rings alarm bells to be. Glamour, pampering, people who work with kids.
Screams Paedo to me, but that's the way I think :cool:

Louise317
24-06-2011, 07:28 PM

That's shocking!

I'd pass on info to the police to.

pinkbutterfly
24-06-2011, 07:43 PM
I think you're just speculating ...
I would just text back and say if you need help ring me and we can talk about it and then if it is a new minder you can decide if you want to meet her or if it is what you're saying you can say you're not interested and hung up.

mama2three
24-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Well if he had seen me he wouldnt be suggesting glamour modelling thats for sure! :laughing: Told Dh and he nearly spat his tea over me!
I couldnt see why it never mentioned childminding at all and now I know!! Thanks Newbie , how do you know by the way?

Newbie1!
24-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Well if he had seen me he wouldnt be suggesting glamour modelling thats for sure! :laughing: Told Dh and he nearly spat his tea over me!
I couldnt see why it never mentioned childminding at all and now I know!! Thanks Newbie , how do you know by the way?

its happened to a few of us around my way, one who went along with it (replied to texts etc) got more info from him and he actually went on to invite her to a glamour shoot - he certainly didn't bother hiding it! But then I guess, (aside from what he may be trying to do) he isn't doing anything wrong in txting someone and asking them to do modelling work (if u really strip It back to what he actually says) bit of a creepy fella me thinks!!! :-0

mama2three
24-06-2011, 08:44 PM
The only modelling Id be able to do is the kind using junk boxes and sticky tape!