PDA

View Full Version : Garden Fencing

Kirsteen
23-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi all!

Just joined on here today...currently going through the application process.

Need to make my garden secure with fencing/gates. Have asked SCSWIS what kind of fencing i need and they haven't been much help. Just said enough to keep kids in, predators out, and enough to protect their privacy. But that doesn't tell me what kind of fencing or what height!!! I have a very large area to fence which will cost a LOT of money, so i don't want to put in something and then get told by my inpsector that it's not right!

So....top tips please??? What kind of fencing have you got? How high? Anyone had any fencing tips from SCSWIS during inspection?

Would rather hear from Scottish peeps please, just incase regulations and guideline are different north and south of the border.

Many thanks.

Pipsqueak
23-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I would have though secure fencing is secure fencing whereever you are in the country.
I have a large garden - neighbours either side and backing onto a field. I have dogs to keep in and balls to stop flying into neighbours green houses, plus nosey neighbours!!

down one side I have a 6ft fence close boarded
down the other side its 4ft fence with trellis on top
at the bottom is a six ft 6 fence panelled

thankfully hubby is a fencing blokey

shop around for quotes

blue bear
23-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I have 6 ft fencing all round

madmamma
23-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Concrete supports, with 3 concrete spacers (?) at the bottom, with 6ft panelled fencing on top... Jazzed up with bamboo and bright paint here

miffy
23-06-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a mixture - walled on two sides, conifer hedge on another and 6 ft fencing nearer the house. Had to put chicken wire between the conifers at the bottom many moons ago to seal any gaps that little people might fit through.

Miffy xx

Greengrass74
23-06-2011, 05:06 PM
We have a 6 foot wall which leads to woods and fields the rest is 6 foot panels. We have 1 entrance to the garden a wrought iron 6 foot gate which has a combination padlock fitted. Ofsted was more than happy with this

Flisspaps
23-06-2011, 05:08 PM
In England but might be worth asking SCSWIS if what we have is sufficient:

We have a simple wooden post and chicken wire fence along the back of our garden, 1 metre high, and covered with brush screening.

I have only last week registered the garden, so it was deemed to be acceptable in OFSTED's eyes last week. Cost us very little do do, and it stretches for about 30m.

Kirsteen
24-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Jings those fences are high!!!!

Now I have the added problem that because I'm beside a footpath i apparently need planning permission???? And also I suspect my neigbours would go mad at a high fence going up cos then the sun is blocked from their veggie patch....sigh!

Does anyone out there have a lower fence???? If so how did you get through inspection with it??? SCSWIS have told me that there is NO minimum height requirement currently in place. How do i 'convince' my inspector that say 4' would be sufficient????

N.B. primary school age kids only, no preschoolers

Babycat
25-06-2011, 09:43 PM
my gate is small and is metal and u can see thru both neighbours and the outside world. lol children will not be left alone so as long as gate is closed and locked wouldnt it be fine? I have stairs and like a ditch ( flower bed) just as you come in gate stairs infront ditch to left (full length) all im doing is using bamboo sticks, garden netting to put up a front so children dont run/jump down. as for stairs ive made a make shift gate by attatching a trelis to bamboo sticks and pushing it into grass either side of stairs! tbh ive no idea if this will be suffice for care comm but to me id happily let my baby n niece play in the garden and feel like they were safe for 470cm of fence and 90cm gate it was going to cost £300!! my fix... £5! just hope its okay'd for short term!!

Pipsqueak
25-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Not sure if its different in Scotland but you can put up a 6ft 6' fence (2m) without permission or neighbours ranting its too high.

Kirsteen
29-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks again for the replies.

Re planning permission, etc...planning department have confirmed the position....because my garden is within 20m of a public road then the max height i can go is 1m...any higher needs planning permission. My nieighbours are happy with 1m, and I can't wait for planning permission as I need to get started minding ASAP. So 1m wooden fencing it will be, and I will write into my policies how I intend to keep the kids safe in the garden

:-)