PDA

View Full Version : Young Mindee with Hand Foot and Mouth

MichelleinGartm
23-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I have a dilemma - and have been reading lots of old posts on this website but can't seem to find an answer to this specific dilemma...

My assistant noticed our 15 month old mindee yesterday at 5pm had spots on hands. Checked feet - saw spots, also big white ulcer on tip of her tongue. Pretty clear to us that it is HFM. Called parents immediately to ask that they pick her up and take her to doc.

They did not pick her up early and did not take her to doc and as far as I know they still haven't - its lunchtime now.

I told them however not to bring her back today, saw father at school this morning (dropping off older sibling), he wants us to look after mindee tomorrow.

I have researched on the internet - Health Protection Authority says exclusion not necessary for Hand Foot and Mouth however it may be appropriate in some cases.

I think that since the mindee is very young and constantly has either toys or her hands in her mouth that we should not have her back until ulcers and blisters have gone, as the risk of cross infection (to me, my assistant and other mindees) will be very difficult to manage (definitely not tomorrow in any case). Am I being unreasonable to insist she doesn't come back tomorrow, despite Health Protection Authorities Guidelines?

My sickness policy says that children suffering from fever, unusual rash, sore throat, diarrhoea or discharge from the eyes or nose should be kept at home until a doctor has certified that the symptoms have disappeared.

So, what do all you think? Any help and advice would be so much appreciated!

blue bear
23-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Look on nhs web site it says keep children off school until symptoms have gone, comments say it is extremely contagious and painful and can last up to 3 weeks but usually 7-10 days

sarah32
23-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I excluded a 2 year old due to the fact she put everything in her mouth all the time, all her spots were around her mouth and hands.

nic t
23-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Your business your rules!!!

I didn't exclude when mindee had it as I listened to NHS advice about no need to exclude and ended up with it myself!

I would def exclude for it now!

ziggy
23-06-2011, 04:25 PM
All of mine had it over last few weeks, only one was really poorly with it. I didnt exclude as by the time we knew what is was it was too late

But then again i agree..............your business so your rules!

miffy
23-06-2011, 04:53 PM
If you are not happy to care for the child then don't - I wouldn't want to either because it is contagious and you can't stop a baby putting things in their mouths and you can't spend the day following them round cleaning everything.

Hope you manage to sort it out with dad.

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
23-06-2011, 05:07 PM
My son has had it three times and i've stayed open each time (because HPA states no exclusion) but told parents so they could decide for themsleves. (Didn't charge if they didn't bring LOs as I totally understood why they decided against bringing them.) None of them ever caught it, whether they attended still or not. I did spend half the day with disinfectant spray in my hand though, lol!
He's never been that poorly with it, just a bit spotty!

If you feel she should stay away then I think you should stand your ground, you set the terms.

MichelleinGartm
23-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks so much for all you very quick replies, i feel i have been backed up in my actions. funny isnt it how you always feel guilty in these situations. maybe i just need to toughen up!