PDA

View Full Version : Half fee for half terms?

TillyTwinkle
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
This is probably to some of you are really stupid question, but im in need of some advise so please bear with me!!

I currently mind a set of twins but they are only contracted during term time. Having been on here reading other posts recently, i have come across a few people who charge a half fee during half term holidays.

My question is, would it be right of me to write a letter telling the parents that i will also be doing this from now on (well probably from july during the summer hols)? OH thinks i should but like me is wondering if it right to ask since they have already signed a contract with me back in march!!

Don't want to seem greedy but its quite a few weeks in a year that im not getting any income!

Please help!:panic:

Lou
01-05-2008, 07:58 PM
there are no stupid questions!!!

It depends what you put in the original contract. If you have said no charge then you ant change it until the contract is due for renewal, unless the parents readily agree,

Personally if i had someone who only came term time then yes i would charge half as a retainer to keep the place open for them.

It depends on their age also, thats what i would do if they were under 5. if they are school age i prob wouldnt charge as i dont mind them not coming in hols.

If you decide to charge a retainer then you must be available if they wish to use the place (and pay the full fee) so you cant refuse to have them.

HTH

Spangles
01-05-2008, 08:00 PM
I've got term time only contracts and definitely wouldn't charge them anything during the half term holidays. They've told me that they don't need me then so I think it was up to me to say no to the contract if I wasn't happy with this.

Just my opinion though.

disney
02-05-2008, 08:22 AM
i have boy who is term time only but hes here before and after school . i dont charge any thing over the holidays unless he comes to me .yes i do lose out on money but also think that if i can fill the space over the holidays then it would be ok .and mum would need to be aware that if another child is contracted and their is no spaces then he wouldnt be able to come .:) x

sarah707
02-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Like Lou says, if they have signed a contract which states what you charge, then until contract review it's best not to mess with that... plus for twins, you will be asking for a heck of a lot of money and they might well look elsewhere if you're suddenly hiking up the prices like that...

Now the next lot you get asking for term-time only... nothing stopping you making changes to your pricing structure and seeing how it goes! :D

angeldelight
02-05-2008, 08:48 AM
I agree with Spangles and do the same

We all do things different though your business your rules

Good luck whatever you decide

Angel xx

berkschick
02-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I have a 2 year old who is term time only and I charge her 1/2 fees in the holidays.

I have twin who are term time only too and I was going to charge 1/2 fees during the holidays but Mum said she would rather pay me full fees and have the day to herself.

I also have a 7 year old term time only who I dont charge for during the holidays as I he is not taking up a full time vacancy anyway.

mum2three
02-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I also have three mindees that only come to me during term time, I did think about charging a retainer but then I would HAVE to be available and I'd prefer not to work during the hols (usually being a taxi for my 2 teens then anyway!) But of course I let them know that I am around if they want to book a day during the hols. I was thinking last night about a Holiday booking form does any one else do anything like that ?
2 of my mindees spend part hol with parent A and part with parent B and me in the middle, so I like to know well in advance. It would be too costly to charge parent A a retainer while they are with Parent B sorry Waffle Waffle ..but it does mean no money for quite a few weeks of the year. :(

xx

jaja
02-05-2008, 06:14 PM
What did you decide to do? I personally would of charged 1/2 in holidays, and i know parents who are ok with this and parents who are not. good luck with whatever you have done xx

wendywu
02-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I charge 1/2 fee retainer for the holidays if the mindees are term time only. I would not go 13 weeks of the year with no money from them.:)

Rach30
02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I have full timer who comes termtime only but the fee is added up over the year and then dived so i get a monthly payemnt every month even in hol:p s . Have i explained that right ? do you get wht i mean ??? lol

brillminder
06-05-2008, 04:34 PM
if it was a term time onl i would charge higher rate to accomodate & i have 5 children all teacher aND CHARGE 1/2 RETAINER HOLIDAY OR NO INCOME AND THEIR HOLIDAYS WERE LONGER AS PRIVATE SCHOOL SO BEWARE OF THAT ,