PDA

View Full Version : Attendance record for tax man

Vikkileeds
23-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Hi...

Me again with a different question!!

I have daily attendance sheets mainly for my records which includes time in and time out and signatures. However do i need to put a record of children's attendance with my accounts?? Its a little confusing because sometimes parents collect children early so the attendance sheet I use daily wouldn't tally up with my accounts. I do have the NCMA booklet but would rather not use it as don't want to start asking parents for extra signatures on there- or should I?

Vikkileeds
23-06-2011, 12:49 PM
What do other people do?? Any suggestions appreciated.

grindal
23-06-2011, 03:21 PM
Assuming your fees tally with your contracted hours I cant see there would be a problem. To my knowledge the tax man can ask to see your accounts - but none of your other records and ofsted do not have the right to inspect your accounts. Therefore the 2 things are compketely separate.

I use the NCMA accounts and attendance books. Parents sign in and out as and when mindees are dropped off and collected. I do not get parents to sign the accounts book as they sign a receipt and are e mailed an invoice.

Whatever you do ,make sure parents are signing the attendance books.

miffy
23-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Whatever you do ,make sure parents are signing the attendance books.

Can I ask why?

Miffy xx

miffy
23-06-2011, 05:13 PM
I have daily attendance sheets mainly for my records which includes time in and time out and signatures.

It's not just for your records though is it - it is a legal requirement to keep "a daily record of the names of the children looked after on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of the children's key workers"

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
23-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Can I ask why?

Miffy xx

My parents sign my attendance register once a week. It is good to to because by signing they are confirming that their child was with you those hours or on holiday or off sick, mine also sign the weeks that I'm on holiday. It is invaluble if a parents is, for instance constantly 5-10 mins late because when you review the Contract you have signed evidence and it is interesting how well they remember the days they were a few mins early but not the number they were late :rolleyes:

It is also good from a Child Protection point of view because it confirms when the child was with you.

NCMA need the register signed if it is needed for a legal claim or action.

What I don't undeerstand is why anyone needs to ask parents to sign in and out every morning and afternoon. What is that all about, why is it needed ? I think my parents would go nuts if I asked them to do that.

Chatterbox Childcare
23-06-2011, 10:09 PM
The legal requirement is for me to keep records and so my parents do not sign any attendance sheets

It is probably good practice but another sheet of paper that would get left week on week so I deleted the space for the signature on my paperwork

catswhiskers
23-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I've used the NCMA attendance register for the past 9 years. I get parents to sign at the end of the week. If I forget, there's always one that asks to sign!

I put actual time of arrival e.g. 7.50am not just contracted hours e.g. 8.00am not because I would charge a higher fee or anything but just for my records really. Same for time the children leave.

It's the one piece of paperwork I've stuck to and really helps when referring to my accounts e.g. so and so was absent his day or I was on holiday that day etc.

I wouldn't bother with any extra attendance sheets.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-06-2011, 10:41 AM
The IR will want to look at your financial records. Just Ofsted looking at your attendance sheets

Pixie dust
24-06-2011, 11:38 AM
What I don't undeerstand is why anyone needs to ask parents to sign in and out every morning and afternoon. What is that all about, why is it needed ? I think my parents would go nuts if I asked them to do that

In my area it has to be done if you are providing the free education funded sessions. I am part of the network but currently don't have any funded children.

grindal
24-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Can I ask why?

Miffy xx

Well, I thought we had to. I think it is important from a child protection point of view, but also in the event of any disputes about payments.

Having just read my first post - I do not ask parents to sign in and out daily - I record the time they arrive and leave each day and parents sign weekly to confirm this is correct.

Vikkileeds
25-06-2011, 08:53 AM
It's not just for your records though is it - it is a legal requirement to keep "a daily record of the names of the children looked after on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of the children's key workers"

Miffy xx

It is for my records in the way that I monitor early and late pick ups/ drop offs and it is the parents actually writing the time and signing- they can't argue with that!! Also if something happens to a child within the contracted hours but they left early then it is proof they weren't with me. Just on example.

Vikkileeds
25-06-2011, 08:55 AM
What I don't undeerstand is why anyone needs to ask parents to sign in and out every morning and afternoon. What is that all about, why is it needed ? I think my parents would go nuts if I asked them to do that.[/QUOTE]

My above comment explains this again. It takes all of 2 seconds for a parent to sign. They won't think you are nuts- just professional.

Splodge
25-06-2011, 11:55 AM
The parent i am hoping to take to court over non payment refused to sign the attendance records or the accounts book ever. She always treated me as just a babysitter and inferior to her and as such didn't see why she had to sign. The NCMA solicitors said it didn't make any difference to the case.

Dragonfly
25-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I dont get any parents to sign my register.

Mookins
25-06-2011, 05:01 PM
i was told on our course its good practice to sign in and out as it covers you id something wsa to happen...ie child gets hurt at 4.35pm and parent blames you...but you have proof they left at 4.29pm:)

saying this though i always forgot to get parents to sign in and out when i first started so havent bothered since:rolleyes:
bit difficult when i drop off one of the mindees too. suppose i could make a not of the time but im more intent on getting rest of mindees home before theywee in the car/tell me once more they are hungry or like thursday sneeze and feel something hit my neck:panic:

xx

Dragonfly
25-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Sneeze and hit your neck :eek: totally yuck Mookins, I wouldnt hang around for signatures with that happening!:laughing: