PDA

View Full Version : Massive age range toy problem

BlondeMoment
23-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi minders!

Just wondering how you guys deal with having such a big age range

The kiddies I mind are between 2 and 9 years old. So obviously their interests in toys are quite different. I've got a room upstairs where there are some "older kid's toys" such as lego and playmobil so although sometimes they're quite happy to play with the littlies, the older kids (4 - 9s) can go up and play with the toys for their age range.

The thing is, I have some inbetweenies who are 3. All day they play with the younger ones then once the older ones are home from school they want to play with them.
So if the 3 year olds then go up to play, there is often one little 2 year old left alone downstairs. Of course they want to be with the others, so they then throw tantrums. Help!

It's that time of day where I'm trying to prepare dinner and get homework done so I can't go up to supervise, so really can't be letting under 3's up there without me. But all hell is breaking loose.

I recently stopped everyone from playing upstairs because it was getting so out of hand. But now the older kids are so bored they're just winding up the little ones.

:panic: AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

What would you do?

love381
23-06-2011, 09:52 AM
We've had similar problems in the past. Could you put older toys at the table? That way they are all supervisable (is that a word?), but still doing stuff their own age.

We tried all sorts of different things. They particularly liked the "buddy" system and loved "helping" the littlies to do/make things. Crafts were good, but be careful the older ones don't just take over and do the crafts as the littlies 'can't' do it properly.

x

BlondeMoment
23-06-2011, 09:58 AM
We've had similar problems in the past. Could you put older toys at the table? That way they are all supervisable (is that a word?), but still doing stuff their own age.

We tried all sorts of different things. They particularly liked the "buddy" system and loved "helping" the littlies to do/make things. Crafts were good, but be careful the older ones don't just take over and do the crafts as the littlies 'can't' do it properly.

x

Older toys on table wouldn't really work in my house. it's so tiny that if I get the table out, there's no room to play on the floor. Plus the littlies will easily climb up and get them when I'm out the room cooking.

The older ones are pretty good alot of the time with the little ones. But I can see how they want to be able to get away from them because they can't really play for themselves. The biggest problem is that I can't be terribly involved between pick up and tea time.

love381
23-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Is it possible to play after dinner? The older children could have "their" time after dinner. Or maybe move dinner a bit earlier (only say 10/15 minutes) so that they do get a bit of time.

Do you have any Duplo Lego? I find that the older ones LOVE this. There is so much they can do with it and it's not dangerous for the littles ones to get either. We've got tonnes of this. Some new, some on offer, some from charity shops and car boots too! Some even off of ebay. It's a collection I've created over the past 10 years!!

Colouring is sometimes nice, pictures printed off the net can be age related. If you're limited for space, the older ones could colour using clipboards - no table required.

x

BlondeMoment
23-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Is it possible to play after dinner? The older children could have "their" time after dinner. Or maybe move dinner a bit earlier (only say 10/15 minutes) so that they do get a bit of time.

Do you have any Duplo Lego? I find that the older ones LOVE this. There is so much they can do with it and it's not dangerous for the littles ones to get either. We've got tonnes of this. Some new, some on offer, some from charity shops and car boots too! Some even off of ebay. It's a collection I've created over the past 10 years!!

Colouring is sometimes nice, pictures printed off the net can be age related. If you're limited for space, the older ones could colour using clipboards - no table required.

x

Have quad block things but Duplo sounds a great idea. you can do much more with it can't you. Hmmmmmm. Will have to get on ebay.
Yes we do lots of colouring but I need to supervise that with the little ones or I get my walls coloured for me LOL.

Got dinner as far forward as possible really due to fitting around pick up times.

Afraid after dinner I insist all toys stay put away and everyone watches TV quietly until they're picked up or muggins ends up clearing up after they've all gone cos they won't do a thing once their parents arrive.

It's a hard one isn't it.
Maybe I just need to let the toddlers get on with the tantrums until they accept that they can't go upstairs.

BlondeMoment
24-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Tried something out yesterday ..... turn taking. So one child always stays downstairs to keep toddler company. They were quite happy with this. Especially as they've not been allowed to play upstairs so it was a kind of condition rule.
:clapping:

loocyloo
24-06-2011, 09:23 PM
good luck!

on the whole no one plays upstairs when i am minding, but i set the rule that only children who were at full time school could go upstairs!

mushpea
25-06-2011, 07:27 AM
im not sure I would make them stay downstairs just to keep the two year old company,, the two year old needs to learn to play by themselves somtimes and also needs to learn that the older children need time to themselves. if the older ones are happy doing this then fine but I wouldnt push this,
personaly I would let the older ones upstairs then give the two year old an activity where you can keep an eye on them and if they dont like it and have a paddy then they do,, they cant always have your or the others attention and im sure they would get used to it.

BlondeMoment
27-06-2011, 08:07 PM
im not sure I would make them stay downstairs just to keep the two year old company,, the two year old needs to learn to play by themselves somtimes and also needs to learn that the older children need time to themselves. if the older ones are happy doing this then fine but I wouldnt push this,
personaly I would let the older ones upstairs then give the two year old an activity where you can keep an eye on them and if they dont like it and have a paddy then they do,, they cant always have your or the others attention and im sure they would get used to it.

See what you're saying here. Won't hurt toddler to play alone for a while. but I can't really supervise anything other than free play while I'm cooking. Kitchen not big enough to have toddler in with me doing an activity either. Also the room upstairs isn't very big so the turn taking thing worked well. Will play it all by ear I think. Last time they were all quite happy with this and it meant I could get tea cooked. This is what it's all about really. Keeping them occupied while I cook.
I spend the rest of the day doing activities with them so need them all playing as nicely as possible at that time of day