PDA

View Full Version : Fine Motor Skills?

love381
23-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Just a bit of a strange question.

I have a lo of 4yrs - school are VERY concerned about his fine motor skills because he chooses not to do fine motor skills activities as he prefers bigger activities.

I have proved with photographs, my OBS and even setting him up with things in the classroom so the teachers can see!! For example, drawing circles/smiley faces and the photos show he's holding pencil correctly etc! Threading buttons onto string.

They are wanting to send him to occupational therapist!

Am I wrong in thinking that bead threading etc is fine motor skills?!

Thanks in advance
x

sonia ann
23-06-2011, 07:10 AM
yes you are right :)

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/fine-motor-skills-activities-for-children.html

try this link.....good list of activities which use fine motor skills

love381
23-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Thank you so much Sonia! This has been a battle at school for a few months now, thought I was starting to go mad as surely school have got it right!!

Thank you for the link, we have worked on numerous activities already and I have no concerns myself, just thought maybe I was wrong! x

sonia ann
23-06-2011, 07:24 AM
have you asked them exactly what their concerns are?

love381
23-06-2011, 07:29 AM
have you asked them exactly what their concerns are?

Yes!! There concerns is that he cannot do ANYTHING that involves fine motor skills! He does not choose to do it in school! Basically he chooses to build with big bricks, play outside etc. I've tried to tell them that if you put them in front of him and say he can play outside afterwards he'll do it for them. I've also tried to explain that he will always choose outside etc given the chance!! It's just the type of child he is!! x

The Juggler
23-06-2011, 11:57 AM
oh my word, sounds like they need some suggestions for incorporating writing skills into large motor skills play :panic: Do you think they have they tried actually putting pen and paper in the big blocks area and get him to record the number of bricks he's using or write labels for what he's made.

Sounds like they could do with you advising them. Or get him to use string and thread the string through tubes/large pasta etc, to measure something in the playground. or use chalks on the floor outside. The list is endless, they need to be a bit more creative.

I hope you get through to them hon.

LChurch
23-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi
I wouldn't knock it if they are concerned though. My eldest always chose things that were bigger activities etc. I was concerned with every good reason, he has hypermobility syndrome. They are prob just covering their backs really. So often schools don't pick up on things like this until it is almost too late. I hear what you are saying that he does things with you and that is good, what are his scissor skills like? I could get my eldest to do some things with me but reluctantly, he would prefer to be doing stuff outside etc. It is not going to harm if he sees an OT. How is he at cutting his food up etc? At 6 my eldest still struggles

mummyMia
23-06-2011, 01:43 PM
My ds sounds similar. He is nearly 4 and goes to nursery where he refuses to do any drawing, cutting or any other fine motor skills activities. He will only play with the sand and trains. At home he will do drawing/beading for me but only if I put a lot of effort into making the activities interesting. He can hold a pen correctly and thread pasta onto string etc. but he gets frustrated very easily. It seems like he doesn't have much strength in this fingers and struggles with buttons, zips, peeling oranges, getting the straw into juice cartons, using scissors, etc.

mummyMia
23-06-2011, 01:55 PM
he has hypermobility syndrome.
This is very interesting actually. When my ds started walking his ankles were not straight, but bent, almost like they couldn't carry his weight and were buckling under him. He was referred to a consultant and I was told his joints are very flexible, more so than what would be considered normal. I don't think he was actually diagnosed with hypermobility syndrome but we only saw the consultant the one time. Now I am wondering if this is the reason why his fine motor skills are lacking. I had never connected the two before. Thanks for this info, will have to do some research now. I always thought it was my fault for not doing enough activities with him.:(

blue bear
23-06-2011, 02:48 PM
2 of my boys struggled with fine motor skills, i was convinced there was some thing wrong, teachers said they were late developers, more interested in gross motor activities and more than one said it was because they were lazy!

Getting to see the ot was the best thing that happened, they both got diagnosed and given laptops, weighted cutlery, lipped plates, toggles for shoe laces etc and life changed completely, struggling to do fine motor activities was cut down, pain levels reduced and much happier children.

Let them refer lo to ot it won't do any harm and will at least give reassurance nothing is wrong.

louise
23-06-2011, 08:04 PM
My ds has NF type 1 which means he struggles with fine and gross motor skills. We have been told he has hypermobility in his fingers which means he will never hold a pen correct, he is learning to touch type in sept. He told me last week that he has a hard life as he finds writing hard. To hear your 7 yr old say that :( Just wondering if he has the same with his legs as he really struggles with speed balance ect.
The OT wont do any harm its better for him to be looked at then for in ears to come something to be flagged up.

love381
23-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the responses. I understand people saying it won't do any harm to let him see an OT, but I really don't think it's necessary - a complete waste of our time and the OT's time!!

He can do anything/everything that I feel is in the fine motor skills area. I have no concerns, previous Nursery teacher (Nursery attached to his school, in the same building) has NO concerns at all. The Nursery teacher is actually head of Foundation Stage, so is looking into why the teacher is making such a fuss and is going to get back to me, we'll see where this goes!!

I'm just glad I was right, fine motor skills are the ones with the pencil, the bead threading, the scissors, the zips etc. I really started to think I was wrong, going mad in my old age (of 28!!).

x