PDA

View Full Version : Sponsering an Animal / Child...

Stanfield
01-05-2008, 06:06 PM
Hi,

Im not sure which catagory to put this under, so im having a guess and adding it here...

Does anyone sponser an animal or a child at their setting?
At my old nursery we sponsered a donkey from a sanctuary and were sent newsletters and a couple of photos throughout the year, I have also previously sponsered a dolphin...but they lost it! Was not very impressed with that one!

Was looking for new, freash ideas and any advice from those of you that have done somthing like this.

I was thinking of sponsering a child in the third world as this could be linked to topics to do with the children and teach the children about people who are in need...

Any ideas?

Thanks

crazybones
01-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Sponsoring a third world child is a fab idea. We have links with iSierra Leona through the primary school and we do a shoebox appeal with the lo's to tie in with the older ones doing the same in school.

flora
01-05-2008, 06:37 PM
We sponsor a little girl in Tanzania. The kids looked throught the atlas and decided where in the world we would like to sponsor, then we had to vote on boy/ girl. This was a tied vote so we let Plan decide for us :D

It has sparked so many things, we write to her, send her gifts twice a yr and she writes back. They were jealous of her not going to school aged 7ys until they found out why and how she has to live etc etc.

Been a great experience all round. Can recommend Plan. My uncle has had dealings with them in Africa and he says they are by far the best organisiation as they have no religious or political affiliations. He says they really do make a big difference :thumbsup:

Stanfield
01-05-2008, 06:49 PM
We sponsor a little girl in Tanzania. The kids looked throught the atlas and decided where in the world we would like to sponsor, then we had to vote on boy/ girl. This was a tied vote so we let Plan decide for us :D

It has sparked so many things, we write to her, send her gifts twice a yr and she writes back. They were jealous of her not going to school aged 7ys until they found out why and how she has to live etc etc.

Been a great experience all round. Can recommend Plan. My uncle has had dealings with them in Africa and he says they are by far the best organisiation as they have no religious or political affiliations. He says they really do make a big difference :thumbsup:

Thanks! This sounds good.
How much do you donate?
Lucy

Tatia
01-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I have the info coming right now from Action Aid to sponsor a child. All my mindee parents think it's great. I made them aware that I don't expect to recoup all the money (about £15-17 a month) but will encourage the mindees to drop their pennies in the pot so they feel a part of it all. I've just got my notice board to put all the info on so they can see the picture and letters we receive.

I'm very excited about this project. I've also considered choosing an animal charity for about £2 or £3 pounds a month and doing both with them but didn't want to over load them right away.

donnahay0
01-05-2008, 07:46 PM
What a fantastic idea - had not thought of that.

I am definately going to sponsor a child.

Thank you.

flora
01-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi Lucy,
with Plan donation start at just £12 a month, its up to you whether you feel you can afford to donate more.

tulip0803
01-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I like this idea:)

elaineg
01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
do you have the website for the Plan.

love elaine xx

flora
01-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Will look up the address for you, will post it for you tomorrow :thumbsup:

jo f
02-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Sponsoring a child is a lovely idea!
My daughter (2yr) got an adopted shetland pony from her auntie at christmas. Its from a HAPPA rescue centre, we have photos and newsletters and are able to go and groom him. We have just finished a topic about pets and as a trip went to see Sooty and the others, thekids loved grooming him, and felt really special.
But I love the child idea!

Cammie Doodle
02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I have adopted an orphaned orang-utang for hubby, never though of sharing his up dates with the children :blush: silly me . Guess who will be looking out all the paperwork??? :o

Pauline
02-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I have adopted an orphaned orang-utang for hubby, never though of sharing his up dates with the children :blush: silly me . Guess who will be looking out all the paperwork??? :o

Have you ever been tempted to do a swap June :D

Mrs. B - I think sponsoring a child is a wonderful idea, there would be so many learning activities to do and to be helping a child extends your care as a minder :thumbsup:

Polly2
02-05-2008, 12:40 PM
What a great idea! :thumbsup:

foxy lady
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
THATS A GREAT IDEA IM GONNA DO IT TOO
thanks foxy

Blaze
02-05-2008, 01:53 PM
What a great idea...something i will do in the new year. Thank you!:clapping:

emler
02-05-2008, 01:54 PM
I love the idea too :D

Emler x

mum2three
02-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Love that idea and will def do it next year when mindees are older

Thanks

xx

miffy
03-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the idea

miffy xx

Cammie Doodle
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Pauline lol I never thought about a swop , son says Hubby built more like a silver back Gorilla than a Orag-utan ;) hee hee