PDA

View Full Version : Essential equipment??

caza
01-05-2008, 05:14 PM
I've seen mentioned in quite a few posts that I should make a wishlist at some point of equipment I would like to buy. The thing is I think if I were to buy all of the items that keep popping into head I think I would go bankrupt before I even start!

Its so easy to get carried away when I haven't even started childminding. I keep thinking of all these "great ideas" but in reality I know I cant possibly get everything straight away. So I suppose what I wanted to ask is what would you consider to be the most essential equipment? ie.don't start childminding before you have bought.....?

When the time comes for Ofsted to come round to my home I would like to have a reasonable and practicle wishlist to show her. Thanks :)

Caroline

donnahay0
01-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Any safety equipment that you need. Especially fire blanket (if you go with NCMA I think you still get one of these with your start up pack). If you are lucky enough to be given a start up grant you can get safety equipment with your grant money.

A friend of mine hasn't got all her safety equipment yet and she has just had her first inspection and the inspector was fine. It probably depends on the inspector.

sarah707
01-05-2008, 05:24 PM
What a good idea for a thread!!

A water dispenser is on my wish list... so children can have free access to fresh water at all times like it says in the Standards :D

flora
01-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Don't start childminding until you have bought:
a life times supply of headache tablets,
some really comfy shoes for all the running about you'll do,
and lots of tissues and wipes for dirty hands and snotty noses.

And lastly depending on your preference a plentifull supply of alcohol or tea bags :D :D

On a more frivilous note plenty of paper, crayons and pencils.
Good selection of books.
Quality toys, pots pans, dress up stuff, doesn't have to be expensive, raid your local charity shop.
Lego, dolls, sandpit.

If you are only just starting out, buy stuff that crosses lots of age ranges and stages of development. Keep and eye on boot fairs/ charity shops and free cycle.

Good luck :)

crazybones
01-05-2008, 06:12 PM

A water dispenser is on my wish list... so children can have free access to fresh water at all times like it says in the Standards :D

I got one of these - didnt read the instructions properly and decided to wash the dispenser in the dishwasher. :doh: Its a bit distorted now but still works. I want a bigger one now as I have to refill it twice a day.

Pipsqueak
01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
:thumbsup:

And lastly depending on your preference a plentifull supply of alcohol or tea bags :D :D

:)

Don't forget a sense of humour
A permanantly cheerful smile and twinking eyes/sweet disposition
Lots of reassuring words (so don't forget to crib the dictionary every night)
oh and not forgetting "of course I am a charity!"

Sorry to add my frivolous bits in - I agree with Sarah a good thread idea

caza
02-05-2008, 06:33 AM
So I assume they dont mind you using second hand toys? It's just that in the loft we have no end of my daughters old toys which she has grown out of which I could use for younger children.

Also just going off track a bit. Does anyone take into account what toys their own children have? My dd room is crammed full of toys and craft stuff etc but I kind of feel that that is her own personal stuff and I shouldn't expect her to let her toys/room be used by everyone. Does that sound a bit mean or does everyone do that?

Caroline

Pipsqueak
02-05-2008, 06:36 AM
So long as the toys you have are in good nick, cleaned up etc then they are fine to use.

As for your own childrens personal belongings - then its not mean at all to not allow them to be used. I tell my kids that if they want to share them thats fine its up to them!

Cammie Doodle
02-05-2008, 08:55 AM
Sarah I got a water chiller from Comet it has been a God send .The water can be drawn from either the blue tap(chilled )or the white tap (room temp)I bought it for my son when he lived in London, but now I have fallen heir to it and its brill. ;)

sarah707
02-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Sarah I got a water chiller from Comet it has been a God send .The water can be drawn from either the blue tap(chilled )or the white tap (room temp)I bought it for my son when he lived in London, but now I have fallen heir to it and its brill. ;)

Thank you for that! With the warmer weather I am def going to bring this one to the top of my list! :D

casey's mum
02-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Oh wow! I never thought of that! This defo going right at the top of my wish list!!

Angela xx

Eagles4ever
02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Me too - what a good idea.

Blaze
02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Have you got a link for the water dispenser...can't find one in comet.:huh:

vix84
02-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I think for your first inspection, they just expect you to say what you will be purchasing (maybe do a list of what toys you would like and put next to them what ages are suitable and how they help development, crayons - all ages, fine manipulative skills etc.) Include things like Dressing up clothes, role play food etc. multi-cultural dolls/posters, books, paint, shape sorter and puzzles - cover most stages of development etc.
or just get a few from car boots. I have some great stuff from car boots (just make sure all safety gates etc. are new and up to standards)

In theory at the registration inspection they could decide you cannot Childmind, so therefore you could have wasted money ifuswim.

Wendy Woo
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM

On a more frivilous note plenty of paper, crayons and pencils.
Good selection of books.
Quality toys, pots pans, dress up stuff, doesn't have to be expensive, raid your local charity shop.
Lego, dolls, sandpit.

If you are only just starting out, buy stuff that crosses lots of age ranges and stages of development. Keep and eye on boot fairs/ charity shops and free cycle.

Good luck :)

I fully agree with ur supply list. Alcohol all the way tho!!!!