PDA

View Full Version : planning for 5+ years

lulubelle
21-06-2011, 08:16 PM
how do i go about planning for children in full time school? is it the same as eyfs children and have to plan everything with learning goals etc?looks like i will be looking after quite a few after schoolers!

lulubelle
21-06-2011, 10:05 PM
please help someone, i was always led to believe that eyfs was for birth - 5 years but i have been told by a fellow minder that i need to do as much planning for 5-8 yr olds?

Happy Bunny
21-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I do themes for the month and adapt some of the creative topic for the older ones.
I get them to look through my creative folder and activity book and do a wish list of things that they would like to do, i use this to plan activities.
But to be honest most of the time they either want to do a cooking activity or just chill doing their own thing.
The ideas are there incase they want to participate.

merry
22-06-2011, 05:58 AM
I don't do any written planniing for the older children at all. I always have a few ideas up my sleeve for if they're bored and can't think of anything to do, but they usually make their own games or just want to chill anyway. In the school holidays I do more planning, but again it's not written down and no learning journals :clapping:

:)

lulubelle
22-06-2011, 07:13 AM
ok so do ofsted not expect planning for the older ones? i obviously planned to have ideas of arts and crafts etc for them to believe but my friend has said i actually need to learning journeys (are these diff from learning journals?) for all children up to 8? i am so confused!

Happy Bunny
22-06-2011, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=lulubelle;944053]ok so do ofsted not expect planning for the older ones? i obviously planned to have ideas of arts and crafts etc for them to believe but my friend has said i actually need to learning journeys (are these diff from learning journals?) for all children up to 8? i am so confused![/QUOTE

I do not do learning journals after they are 5.
I do however do a little book with photo's for each child showing places we have been, things they have made. Underneath I usually date and write a little caption.
Perhaps your friend meant this.

Goatgirl
22-06-2011, 10:51 AM
HI :),
Your friend is wrong. You don't need to do this stuff for children out of the EYFS, which is 31st August after their 5th birthday.
You will include them in planning as they will be there, i.e. out to park / cooking / craft/ nature walk etc and for risk assessing but its not the same as having to link their learning to the Early Years goals etc and you don't need to write planning down.

Ofsted wont even come out to inspect if you have no children in the EYFS. They are interested in them only as far as they affect your care of the younger ones in my experience :thumbsup:

Hope you can relax a bit now :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

lulubelle
22-06-2011, 08:26 PM
yay thank you that is exactly what i thought, obviously i knew i had to plan activities for them to do, have them in risk assessments etc but was totally confussed when she said i had to do eyfs planning for them!!!