PDA

View Full Version : assistants

lulubelle
21-06-2011, 08:14 PM
me again! i have had another call today about a after school job for 2 children 7 and 9 years , therefor wouldnt tech take me over numbers but i couldnt do 3 school runs on the mon/tues due to time and fitting all in the car so i spoke to ofsted and apparently i can take my hubby on as my assistant, he wouldnt need any course etc if not left alone with the children but as he would be doing a school run on his own he would need to do his first aid.
they have emailed me the forms so i will fill them in later. does anyone know how easy it is for all this to go through? luckily hubby finishes work at 2pm so wouldnt effect his job

Noomie
21-06-2011, 08:26 PM
It's all pretty straight forward, particularly as he has all his checks done already. It's easy to book first aid courses, just look up St Johns and you can find a nearby venue or ring your council as there may be one coming up for free.

He just needs to commit to picking the children up every week then.

Good luck!

lulubelle
21-06-2011, 08:52 PM
commiting to pick them up wont be a prob because he has actually been thinking about doing this with me for a while anyway. spoke to the council and there wont offer him any funding or anything towards his first aid

2779mal
21-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I registered my mum as an assistant and it all went through within 3 weeks. she hasnt done a first aid course but is never left alone with the children. I think she should do one anyway so looked into it and they are all about £100:)

Chatterbox Childcare
21-06-2011, 09:32 PM
You cannot use dh as an assistant until you have a few bits in place:

on your certificate it must state that you can have x number of children when working with an assistant

First Aid - already said

Written parental permission

Employers Liability Insurance - even if you don't pay him

Noomie
21-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Oh yes, sorry forgot about those important bits of info! Very late.

The variation paperwork Ofsted sent you will lead to the amendment on the certificate and they will decide based on resources, equipment, etc how many extra children they will allow you but it sounds as if it's more a case of physically being able to pick them up from school rather than a numbers thing.

I just rang NCMA and paid £5 to get my assistant included on public liability insurance. They sent an email back asking for additional info but I forget what that was. I am sure they will let you know what they need.

Parent permission forms are quite important. Ofsted went through all my paperwork.

lulubelle
21-06-2011, 10:02 PM
thanks girls, i have already spoken to the mum that called today and said i would need to use an assistant to pick those children up and she was totally fine with that as would one other mum be as she is a friend and i mentioned to her. would just have to talk to one other family. ofsted said they didnt see there being any prob with it. didnt know about the insurance so will look into that! i am with ncma tho so sounds simple!

Helcatt
21-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I do my public liability with the NCMA and I had to pay an extra £5 to get a cert that said I had employers cover, but the policy itself cost no more

All the rest covered by previous posters

It took just over 3 weeks to get my knew cert through once I finally sent the forms in to Ofsted, took me longer to procrastinate about it than it took them to decide

We were limited slightly with numbers due to the size/layout of the house, but doesn't sound like that is an issue for you

HX

lulubelle
22-06-2011, 07:16 AM
thanks again, i have been looking through the forms and noticed i have to measure available space, is this floor space or can i include the area where the sofa is etc? god it sounds so complicated to measure it all!!!

muffins
22-06-2011, 07:22 AM
thanks again, i have been looking through the forms and noticed i have to measure available space, is this floor space or can i include the area where the sofa is etc? god it sounds so complicated to measure it all!!!

I did this recently & Mrs O said it can be any space which the children use, so can include sofas & tables cos the children use them, but not storage areas e.g cuboards or areas like I have behind my sofa thats across a corner cos its not accessable!

lulubelle
22-06-2011, 10:43 AM
thats great thanks