PDA

View Full Version : What do 7 year olds like to do these days?

Doofuz
21-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Inside and outside? I am a nursery nurse at the moment, hopefully starting my first 7 year old girl in September. As I currently work with Early Years, and it's been awhile since I was 7..what do they like doing these days? I have a wii and some educational games, same for DS, books such as Horrible Histories, Animal Ark, some Barbies, Hama beads, art and craft box, Lego, and role play. Outisde I have the park and the football field. Do they still like doing these things? The 7 year olds I know at the moment like nail varnish and computer games..a bit of football and bmx bikes.

I am so out of touch :laughing:

Thanks for your help :)

mrs robbie williams
21-06-2011, 02:03 PM
I have my own 7yr old ds plus two 7yr old before and after schoolies. They like to make as much noise/mess as possible in my experience :laughing: :laughing: they love arts and crafts, they love playing in the garden, on the trampoline, ball, scooters, going to the park on rainy days they are very into playing schools at the moment so i have set up a desk in the corner of the playroom which is 'their school' xx

Doofuz
21-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Oh good, at least I have some of these options! No trampoline, thank goodness...;)

Thank you :)

lma
21-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I have 3 7yr olds during the holidays and they enjoy baking (weighing out the ingredients themselves under supervision), are and crafts they particularly enjoy writing notes and letters to various people and I'm looking into finding them a penpal to correspond with, playdoh, visiting various parks, wii occasionally and laptop although apparently I'm terrible because I dont allow youtube or facebook:eek: :D .

Although I have found that they like to act all grown up they actually want to join in with the activities the young ones are doing like today when we were painting with corks and cotton reels:laughing:

sunbeams
21-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Although I have found that they like to act all grown up they actually want to join in with the activities the young ones are doing like today when we were painting with corks and cotton reels:laughing:

I love it when this happens! I remember a CM friend of mine had her 14 year old DD and DD's friend listening to music in DD's bedroom. By lunchtime both DD and her friend were playing in the garden with mindies, with faces painted as pirates!!:laughing: :laughing:

Happy Bunny
21-06-2011, 08:48 PM
My seven and eight year olds love playing cards and Knex at the moment, Hama beads are also a fav.
Getting them a pen pal is a good idea, there used to be a site that was linked to schools but I can't find it now.

Doofuz
22-06-2011, 05:46 AM
These are brilliant ideas, thank you.

I particularly like the pen pal idea :D

lulubelle
22-06-2011, 07:21 AM
i love the pen pal idea too, i actually still write to 2 of my penpals from when i was younger and have met the both!

i will def look into getting hama beeds and some knex too as i will have at least 2 after schoolers poss 4! 3 of those will be boys so guessing the knex will be the most popular!

Happy Bunny
22-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Lego is another good one, i bought a huge box off of ebay, they spent ages building a house with garage.
Also Jenga, and believe it or not chess.
For outdoors I have a swing ball, tents, catch ball bats. Obstacle courses using stools, hoops.
They have raided my garden for flowers to press which we then used to do bookmarks, the boys like doing bug hunts which they put in a container for us to count and note in a book.
Our latest project is a fairy and gnome area, we have made a toadstool out of mod roc which is being painted and varnished, laminating coloured pictures of fairy's, bought paint your own gnomes for them to do and adding logs for a seating area for them to read books on.

smurfette
22-06-2011, 05:34 PM
My 7 year old loves arts and crafts (anything at all- beads painting playdoh,) baking, reading, computer - moshimonsters.com and clubpenguin.com , and yes school games - and endless endless paper and notebooks and letter and story writing and stickers. Also tiny animals like littlest pet shop and the moshimonsters figurines they all play school too! Outside trampoline swings skipping hopscotch etc and oh yes chess and board games like monopoly - wii popular too! So sounds like you are on the right track! Enjoy!