PDA

View Full Version : I've made the decision

dollydally
21-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Well after just 5 months of minding (although registered for 16 months), I have decided it's not for me. Work is slow, I had no enquiries in the first year of being registered although I was working too so it didn't matter too much. Since being made redundant, I have got myself out there, have advertised, put flyers in the three local pre-schools and details on the FIS website. At the moment I am earning £57 a week..... I had a horrendous mindee to start with, for two days a week, gave notice and then had a couple of new ones start. I never wanted to do it full time but i did think there would be more work about. My local school has an after school club so that takes away some of the after school demand. It's just not worth all the paperwork, messy house, rules and regulations for that amount of money. So I have given my (two) parents notice this week and have said I am finishing at the end of term and am going to, hopefully, get myself a job. The only thing is, I haven't had a graded inspection yet. Ofsted know I have started working but it took me so long to get off the ground.. I will be finishing in 4 weeks but I still want to keep my registration open. Now, will it stay open three years from now or three years from when I registered (Feb 2010) as I haven't had an inspection and won't be likely to before my children go. I want to keep my registration open 'just in case'. Anyone?

nelly
21-06-2011, 10:58 AM
your very brave giving up after all the hard work you have put in, im thinking of giving up to but am a bit chicken to tell parents. its just to stressful isnt it and i want my house back. good luck x

Louise0208
21-06-2011, 11:09 AM
iv thought about it too recently :(

I have plenty of work, thats no real issue

the amount of money i have put into it & the amount of unpaid paperwork im doing (roughly 5 hours a week) is making me loose sleep at night.

I have had my 'call' this morning & iv had my inspection dates through for the first week of the summer holidays, (i dont have mindees till 11am during term time) if ofsted dont think im doing enough then im quitting, i have put blood sweat & plenty of tears into this job & if i dont get the reconition for it i dont see the point of continuing....i cant possibly offer any more :(

OR .... i will just take on over 5s as theres plenty of call for them around here.

Sarahbelle
21-06-2011, 12:25 PM
your very brave giving up after all the hard work you have put in, im thinking of giving up to but am a bit chicken to tell parents. its just to stressful isnt it and i want my house back. good luck x

Am thinking of giving up too, after 10 years. My family are fed up and my son is doing his GCSEs. I think he is finding it hard to revise because of all the noise the children make. The whole house gets taken over. I can't make up my mind. I have a job application staring at me.:panic:

Goatgirl
21-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Dollydally :),
Good for you, coming to a decision. Must be a good feeling to have a plan :thumbsup: .
I think its 3 years without any children on your books. So 3 years from your last day!

Have you rung Ofsted? It may be possible to squeeze an inspection in before then. If you want to....

Hope it all works out for you whatever you end up doing :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

catminder
21-06-2011, 03:22 PM
It can't be easy to make that decision but follow your gut instincts. Good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

dollydally
21-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Thank you. And to those who can't decide.... I feel so much better now I've spoken to all my parents.
They all understand which is great. I do feel a bit crap about all the work I've put in but I think I'm going to be happier. I also miss adult company. I was made redundant in January. I am just starting to miss all my colleagues now. I've had a stressful week and I know I would have coped better being able to discuss things with workmates. Hubby is going to be undergoing some tests and I've gone into anxiety mode! They would have kept me on the straight and narrow! I shall still nose on here. X

miffy
21-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm glad the parents have been understanding - good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Also hope your hubby's tests come back clear - try not to worry too much and remember we're always here for support.

Miffy xx

Kel04
21-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Good luck and all the best in whatever you chose to do :)

I've come to the same decision today. I've been childminding since 2008 and all was going well, had 2 full timers, 1 part timer and an after schooler and in the space of a month two of them have handed in their notice (one because mum wants lo to go to nursery now, one who's mum text me to say she has been been sacked [AGAIN - this is the second time this has happened to her now...I wish I hadn't taken her on again because she is so unreliable], after schooler is moving schools too far away for me to collect him and the last part timer just didn't show up as of last week [no notice, no explanation, no nothing] :mad:

I've had enough of being taken for granted, a lot of parents seem to think we are at their beck and call and I don't think they realise all the extra work we have to do ie paperwork etc.

I'm desparately searching for jobs at the minute but for the sake of my sanity feel it's the right thing to do.

AGAIN good luck in the future :)