PDA

View Full Version : Potato Weigh In

anneriddington
21-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Has anyone else dug up their potato council challenge potatoes yet, we have, and have grown 1.33kg of potatoes. LO's loved it, you would think they were digging up diamonds :) . They have washed them and we are going to make haggerty pie with them this afternoon for tea :goodjob:

lma
21-06-2011, 10:07 AM
Congratulations I'm sure your tea will taste even better knowing you grew the potatos yourself.

I missed out on getting any potatos from the council and was quite bummed but will definately be getting some next year.

I know what you mean about the children getting excited about digging up the vegetables. You would have thought they were digging up chocolate from the excited noices coming from them when we were digging up our carrots etc.

On a sneaky note I have been known to 'replace' certain vegetables that havent grown too well before the children go to dig.:blush: :D

Happy Bunny
21-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I am waiting for the afterschool ones to help dig up the potatoes, they can also help water the rest of the veg LOL.
Gone a bit mad with veg this year.

Carol M
21-06-2011, 01:43 PM
:clapping: :clapping: 2.4kgs :clapping: :clapping: There were still lots of tiny ones left round the plants so I reckon if we had left them in we would have got more.
Ate some for tea last night (mindees did) yum
Carol xx

PixiePetal
21-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I put mine in a bit late so am giving them a couple of extra weeks :blush:

last year got 3.5kg altogether :thumbsup: must have left one in one of the bags as one has grown in last years bag too - will see if we get extras :laughing:

sweets
i was actaully a bit disapointed with the amount i got this year!

last year i didnt look after them enough and only got a few but this year i have been so good and watered regulaly and had them in the right position etc.

i harvested them last week and only got an ice cream tub full of them (forgot to weigh them)

they taste lovely and much nicer than shop bought but for the price of the compost and the faff i dont think it was worth it! :(

Katiekoo
We didn't weigh ours sadly I forgot! But we got about a dozen really quite big ones and lots of tiny 'baby' ones! They tasted yummy in a salad!5366 Here are some pics!

Cammie Doodle
21-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Mine did not arrive this year:( I have registered for next year, so hopefully we will get them ) My Mindees loved it last year

miffy
21-06-2011, 05:18 PM
We didn't weigh ours sadly I forgot! But we got about a dozen really quite big ones and lots of tiny 'baby' ones! They tasted yummy in a salad!5366 Here are some pics!

Ooooo those are massive!

Not dug ours up yet - didn't plant them until a week after we should have done so planning to dig them up next week.

Miffy xx

lulubelle
21-06-2011, 09:18 PM
oh how do you go about getting them from the council etc? we already have a veg patch and are growing pots already this year but is something i could do next year!

Playmate
21-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Will do ours on thursday when I have all the afterschoolers that planted them :D