PDA

View Full Version : Wriggler at Nappy Time

Tealady
20-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I haven't minded littlies for ages, well over a year and am now day two into minding a 10 month.

Everything is going well except nappy time. Boy does he wriggle! he has this twisting kind of move that makes him difficult to hold and then he scarpers (well crawls away at quite a pace).

I've tried singing, pulling faces, making silly noises. At first I think he got a bit of a fright for which I felt awful :blush: so now I've tried being more gentler in this approach but he now just looks at me like I'm mad then twists an goes.

I've given him something to fiddle with but he twists and plays on his tum and I can't get him back over again. It's not helped by the fact that due to this I have to change him on the floor and my back isn't so great.

Any tips?

Ripeberry
20-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Pretend to eat his toes? That usually keeps my wriggler still for a few seconds.

kindredspirits
21-06-2011, 07:01 AM
change him laying on his front :D my son was a wriggler too and if they lay on their front not only is it a more natural way of holding their legs to stop them from crawling (obviously make sure that you don't pull their legs if they get up to crawling position or they'll come crashing down on their chin) - it is much quicker, you don't have to bend their bodies upwards to see what you're doing and as long as you remember to put the front of the nappy on the front (i have put them on the wrong way before doing it like this lol) then you're away! :thumbsup:

sarah707
21-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Hand gently on tummy, eye contact and ... wait please.

Then do the next bit and when he wriggles hand gently on tummy and eye contact and ... wait please.

And repeat.

Stay really calm and speak quietly and don't let them see you rushing.

I have children whose parents gallop around the house after them nappies flapping in their hands who lie perfectly still for me using this technique :D

Toothfairy
21-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Agree with Sarah :thumbsup:

Also you can put a sticker on the back of their hand, they are so focused on trying to get the sticker off, you've changed the nappy before they know it :thumbsup:

Tealady
21-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Ah! the voices of experience... Thanks! :)