PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know?

Nadine Beazley
20-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Hellooo ladies (and gents!)

I havent been on here for a while, but needed your advice :)

I have been childminding since Sept 2005. Lately, things have been alot quieter, so I decided to start training for something else. I finally qualified as a nail technician last Tuesday, very pleased with myself :) I have started a mobile nail business which so far is doing well. I am half way through my beauty therapy course and have just started a massage one! I would like to concentrate more on this now, rather than the childminding. (sorry!)

At present I have a few before and after schoolers, most of them over 8 years old, but none of them (even the 5 year olds) come for more than 2 hours a day. I have one little one who turns 1 this week for 7 hours on the Mon and Tues. I would like to stop having this little one and only have the before and after schoolers.

My question is this really... do I still need to be registered with Ofsted if none of the children come for more than an hour or are over 8 years old? What do I do?

Any advice would be greatly received :)

Thanks

Nadine xx

Mouse
20-06-2011, 07:20 PM
The guidelines say that if you only care for children who are over 8 or if care is for less than 2 hours per day then you don't need to register

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Registration-not-required

If you're not registered, parents wouldn't be able to claim tax credits unless you are on the voluntary register. If you are on that now, I wonder if Ofsted would be able to just take you off the other parts & leave you on the voluntary part?

Penny1959
20-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Good advice from Mouse - read the guidelines

Just one other point - it might be worth keeping your registration open for a while in case things don't work out. You would have to pay your annual fee but would not have an inspection if did not have any early years age group children. You then would have up to 3 years to make sure it was the right decision to de register.

I say this because I de registered - then had to spend a fortune and a lot of time to re register

Penny :)

miffy
20-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Good advice from Mouse - read the guidelines

Just one other point - it might be worth keeping your registration open for a while in case things don't work out. You would have to pay your annual fee but would not have an inspection if did not have any early years age group children. You then would have up to 3 years to make sure it was the right decision to de register.

I say this because I de registered - then had to spend a fortune and a lot of time to re register

Penny :)

I think it's worth keeping your registration open until you're sure that you won't want to return to childminding.

Good luck with your new business

Miffy xx

Zoomie
20-06-2011, 09:05 PM
not sure, but isn't it MUCH more expensive to only be on the compulsory and or voluntary part of the childcare register ?

worth just checking into.

mrs_scottydog
20-06-2011, 09:36 PM
not sure, but isn't it MUCH more expensive to only be on the compulsory and or voluntary part of the childcare register ?

worth just checking into.

This rings a bell with me. From memory it was about £100 difference. Hx

Nadine Beazley
21-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for your replies so far!

I hope its not more expensive to be on the voluntary register :(

As for keeping my registration open incase I decide to go back to the little ones, Im quite sure that I wont want to! lol I think that I can honestly say that I am completely fed up with the EYFS, I hate it. It was one of the reasons I started to train for something else, as well as it being quieter and not being paid on time!

Im sorry, as I know some childminders adore the EYFS, but I dont like it at all :(

I know I will need some sort of Ofsted registration so that parents can get help with fees, but the most that will be for one of them is £17 a week! The rest are a lot less!

Nadine x

rickysmiths
21-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I think its just over a £100 to be on the Voluntary Register. £35 to be on both.

Nadine Beazley
23-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Thankyou ladies for your comments so far x

I think I will have to seriously consider whether or not to continue childminding altogether, as there is no way that I can afford £103 in August to renew my registration if I am only going to be on the voluntary register. I dont get alot of money from childminding in the first place to have enough spare for £103!!

:(