PDA

View Full Version : Mates Rates

buzzy bee
20-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi there

I'm just about to take on the child of a very close friend...

Normally I charge extra before 8am and after 6pm, and I also charge full fees when the child is on holiday (but nothing when I'm on holiday).

I'm wondering if I should be kind to my friend and charge the same hourly rate before 8am and after 6pm and not charge her for holiday... (although I know she gets paid for her holiday).

What do you do if you look after friends children?

Part of me wants to keep it the same just for my own ease when doing invoices!!

Pipsqueak
20-06-2011, 01:47 PM
No no no don't do mates rates.
Set the precedent and keep it on a business footing from the outset.
do not mix business and pleasure and ensure that line is drawn

mrs robbie williams
20-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Totally agree with pipsqueak - dont do mates rates :panic: :panic:
I made that mistake and mind for a really good friends child before and after school 2 days a week and then til 7pm on a friday and i charge her a tenner :blush: :blush:
I soooooo regret doing this !!!
If i were to mind for a friend now i would charge the same as everyone else :thumbsup:

grindal
20-06-2011, 01:53 PM
My first ever client was a friend. It was hard keeping things business like all the time, but we managed. She is far less likely to take advantage of your friendship if you keep all arrangements as businesslike as you would with any other parent.
Good Luck

aunt sally
20-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I charge my normal rates for family members and friends children.

miffy
20-06-2011, 02:06 PM
No mates rates here either.

It can be very hard keeping things on a business footing anyway when working for friends and family - if your friend values you she won't expect it.

Miffy xx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
20-06-2011, 02:07 PM
No charge normal rates you are a business and you need to keep it like that. Believe me I have been there and done it.

Polly2
20-06-2011, 02:55 PM
No don't do it! Been there done that and they take advantage!! Keep it businesslike :thumbsup:

little chickee
20-06-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm a no too!

If you charge mates rates your friend may feel that you will change other rules or policies to suit her.

And definatley still charge for her holidays - as you have said she gets paid for hers so why should you be any different.

If you do do mates rates i guaruntee you will regret it at some point.

georgie456
20-06-2011, 03:04 PM
No, no , no!!!! I personally think that you need to start off on the right foot and although you are very close friends, you are still running a professional business.

After all, they are still taking up a space so why do yourself out of money?

lozzy23
20-06-2011, 03:10 PM
No mates rates. Keep it professional, as others have said you could be taken advantage of. :panic:

onceinabluemoon
20-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't do mates rates either, as others have said,keep things on a professional footing from the word go and hopefully you wont have any problems x

buzzy bee
20-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Hee hee! So it unanimous then ;) Thanks for all the responses, will stick to my usual rates then!

Pipsqueak
20-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Hee hee! So it unanimous then ;) Thanks for all the responses, will stick to my usual rates then!

he he - you got that impression did you:laughing: :laughing:

Mummits
20-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Do you think she is going to ask if she can pay you more than the going rate since you are a mate? I imagine not - so why would you want to charge her less?

I think you have to be careful caring for friends kids - I had one and I was originally happy with the arrangement, but after she had changed her days and times a couple of times I ended up with an arrangement which was really a pain for me and felt pressured to put up with it rather than risk a falling out. I wouldn't do it again.

buzzy bee
20-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Do you think she is going to ask if she can pay you more than the going rate since you are a mate? I imagine not - so why would you want to charge her less?

That's a very good point actually!