PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

Wendy Woo
01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Hello all
Right need some help. Ive got 2 mindees both aged 2 and parents want them to potty train soon. From what i can gateher i will be doing all the work to get them trained but the only problem is neither of them say or even gesture in any way that they need to go!!!!!!!!
I will sit them on the potty regulary but i thought it would be good for them to have an idea that they need to go b4 we started. Apparently one of them tells m & d wen he needs a no 1 or 2 at home!!!!!

Any ideas wot i should do? i want to help but not sure if its gonna be successful or not

ma7ie
01-05-2008, 01:29 PM
My dd was 2 in january and is showing no interest in using a potty. She understands the concept of using one but doesn't want to. I'm not pushing it and will let her do it in her own time.

I think it's going to be a tricky one for you especially if they are not ready. Maybe you should talk to the parents and say you don't think they are ready and leave it for a few more months. There is so much pressure on children to be potty trained and I really don't see the point. They will be ready when they are ready.

Good luck.

sarah32
01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I have a 2 1/2 mindee and mum mentioned the other day about potty training, I dont think shes ready myself. Im going to read some stories about potty training and put a potty int he room so she can use it and see where we go from there.:)

venus89
01-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a 9 month old midee, Mum asked me to put her on the potty when she wakes up and 5-10 minutes after a drink. I did it today after she woke up and both times she did wee in it. but I don't reckon ion the long run it's got any real benefit though.... luckily I only have her so it's no bother to me

sarah707
01-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I have a potty training policy which makes it clear that parents are responsible for training their child... they can come here in pull ups and I will back them up.. but it is not my responsibility to start the process.

Be strong. You are not the parent. :D

Spangles
01-05-2008, 08:07 PM
I just left my son in nappies until he showed signs he was ready.

A few weeks back his nappies were dry for a couple of afternoons so we swapped him to pull-ups for a few days putting him on the potty or toilet regularly with a reward chart, he's now in proper pants and hasn't had any accidents at all. I think it's just because we left it until he was completely ready. He turned 3 last week. (I'm not convinced we are okay with pooing but that's another story!)

If we had any more children I would do the same again. I can't see the point in going through all the hassle and stress some people and children do when they force their children before they're ready. If they haven't got the interest, the urge or the control you can't force it in my opinion.

chez1373
02-05-2008, 04:04 PM
My son is 2yrs 4months he wears pull ups and goes to the potty 70% of the time but will only poo in a nappy ?????

He is also getting very lazy and just weeing im having to buy a new carpet i dont know what else i can do

He take his pull ups off everytime i dress him and he is always half naked...
he know what to do but chooses not to how do i make him change what he is doin with out scraming and shouting...

Wendy Woo
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
I have a potty training policy which makes it clear that parents are responsible for training their child... they can come here in pull ups and I will back them up.. but it is not my responsibility to start the process.

Be strong. You are not the parent. :D

I was thinking like that but they have now assumed that i will do it for them!!!! Think i might suggest pull ups and support as much as i can here

Ta very much

Wendy Woo
02-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I just left my son in nappies until he showed signs he was ready.

A few weeks back his nappies were dry for a couple of afternoons so we swapped him to pull-ups for a few days putting him on the potty or toilet regularly with a reward chart, he's now in proper pants and hasn't had any accidents at all. I think it's just because we left it until he was completely ready. He turned 3 last week. (I'm not convinced we are okay with pooing but that's another story!)

If we had any more children I would do the same again. I can't see the point in going through all the hassle and stress some people and children do when they force their children before they're ready. If they haven't got the interest, the urge or the control you can't force it in my opinion.

I fully agree. i will leave my son until he is ready. He sits on the pot now fully clothed and has done a wee once b4 bath time but he is only 18mths. I think the wee was more luck than anything.

I say give em time