PDA

View Full Version : newbie, what to say/ask when parents come round to view!

lulubelle
19-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Hi, after years of nannying and being interviewed i am finding it akward to know what to say/ask parents when they come round to look/meet me the first time?
obviously i show them round my lounge/playroom/garden etc. introduce them to my little ones, tell them about things we do during the day etc.

should i be asking loads of details about there child straight away like allergies, illness, meds etc or should this be after they ask for a place/accept a place ( i am guessing they would mention anything to major anyway!well at least i would hope!)

i sort of feel like am i being interviewed or should they be interviewing me!!!

alwaysright
19-06-2011, 10:57 PM
i save the questions about allergies, routines, likes and dislikes until they have accepted the place.

i ask things like what days are required, what hours are required, i go through my policies-sickness, charges, holidays etc, let parents see my references and ask if they have any questions

The Juggler
20-06-2011, 06:19 AM
i save the questions about allergies, routines, likes and dislikes until they have accepted the place.

i ask things like what days are required, what hours are required, i go through my policies-sickness, charges, holidays etc, let parents see my references and ask if they have any questions

i ask mine early on as in the past I have had parents with strange ideas about how they expect me to meet their LO's routines - i.e. stay in all day, not do school runs..:panic:

flowerpots
20-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I also ask all my questions early on. :)

I ask them in and straight away show them around, then i will seat them in the living room with some toys out in playroom and living room for little one.

I'll show them my parent pack and give it to them to take away, then give them my p&p's file, my file with all my certificates, a learning journey and a scrap book. Il then go off and make them a drink and play with little one.

I ask if they have any questions and then i ask all of mine.

I ask questions like;

Have you used childcare before? Which type?
Routine? Any concerns with development?
Weaning? Hours? Days? etc etc.:D

HtH

miffy
20-06-2011, 06:49 AM
I would also ask questions about likes/dislikes, allergies, routines etc at the visit - some parents have very strict routines that it would be impossible to follow when you're also caring for other children.

Miffy xx

alwaysright
20-06-2011, 07:48 AM
i ask mine early on as in the past I have had parents with strange ideas about how they expect me to meet their LO's routines - i.e. stay in all day, not do school runs..:panic:

sorry, i meant babies routines, i tell them my routine when they come to see me then if they dont like it they can go elsewhere. but know what you mean about staying in etc which i wouldnt do! i had a parent not use be because i wasnt going to take her child out in a car........:laughing:

lulubelle
20-06-2011, 12:05 PM
thank you, i feel a bit better prepared now i know what other people ask etc!

i have a mum coming round this eve who has apparently called 46 other minders on local lists (council/minding group etc) and numerous have stopped minding or dont do the school the lo is going to! The school is a bit further afeild then i was hoping for in a small village just outside my town but that school finishes 30 mins after other pick up i will be doing and the aa route say it take about 7 minutes to get from 1 to the other so fingers crossed it would work ok!

the only thing that may cause a prob is i think she wants me to have him a bit before sep and the car insurance comp i am with dont do any bussiness use so unless i go through all the hassle of cancelling etc i cant drive! my insurance is up in sep anyway!

rickysmiths
20-06-2011, 12:32 PM
thank you, i feel a bit better prepared now i know what other people ask etc!

i have a mum coming round this eve who has apparently called 46 other minders on local lists (council/minding group etc) and numerous have stopped minding or dont do the school the lo is going to! The school is a bit further afeild then i was hoping for in a small village just outside my town but that school finishes 30 mins after other pick up i will be doing and the aa route say it take about 7 minutes to get from 1 to the other so fingers crossed it would work ok!

the only thing that may cause a prob is i think she wants me to have him a bit before sep and the car insurance comp i am with dont do any bussiness use so unless i go through all the hassle of cancelling etc i cant drive! my insurance is up in sep anyway!

Just have a think about what you would do if the car broke down, very bad weather, accident that blocked the road and caused a delay, something that may slow you down at your other school.:thumbsup:

lulubelle
20-06-2011, 09:13 PM
all that could happen on route to just one school, from most of the childminders i have spoken to around here they all seem to be driving all over town to do school/nursery runs.

but anyway thank you for all the pointers everyone i done the best 'interview' i have done since childminding and straight away the family have said they want me!!!

i am so happy it all fits around other family, i will have him before and after school and during hols! They also have a 22 month old in nursery who they are now thinking about reducing his hours to fit around my other familys days so i can get 1 more after schooler and i am practically full!!!