PDA

View Full Version : Dilema with mindee

crazyhazy
19-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm having trouble making my mind up with this one so thought I'd ask for some opinions.

Background is I started childminding last April and C was my first mindee, Iad her part time until the summer and then a break while her mum looked for a new job and took her back in aug, she then came to me until I gave notice in March. I had reasons for giving notice, I had lined up a baby mindee to start in march while she was away in the summer and had no space for both, plus I was working saturdays and had had enough really.

So, she went to another local childminder who after a few weeks gave notice and my circumstances had changed so I agreed to take her back on, this w at the beginning of april.

Since then, mindee has not seemed as settled with me, refusing to come in when being dropped off, whinging constantly and crying for the smallest reason. She's 4.5y and has been quite mean about my own daughter who's 2.5y, saying I don't like L etc. She gets on ok with my own 4.5y old but she's at preschool 9-1130 and mindee is only here 830-1230 so they don't see each other much.

So, my dilema is whether to continue with this mindee? If I'm honest I find having her here very draining and don't actually like her very much (am aware it makes me sound horrid but I just can't seem to bond with her). She is due to start school with my own daughter in august so am thinking of just saying I've decided not to do wrap around care (I will have my neice 3 days a week but obv she is family) to enable me to spend more time with my own daughters. But I feel so bad, mum is a single parent who struggles to get help round her shifts and was gutted when I gave notice before. So, do I explain now that I can't have her come august? Or do I wait a bit longer and see if anything improves?

FussyElmo
19-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Perhaps the mindee is unsettled this time due to the fact she has been with you and then not several times. Maybe a lot of reassurance and hopefully she will soon settle.

Pipsqueak
19-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm having trouble making my mind up with this one So, my dilema is whether to continue with this mindee?

If I'm honest I find having her here very draining and don't actually like her very much (am aware it makes me sound horrid but I just can't seem to bond with her).
?

There- you have said yourself two very good reasons NOT to proceed with this contract... you are finding this child draining, you are not bonding wither her and you are unsure...

ALWAYS listen to your gut reactions and these^^^^ are obviously yours.

We cannot and do not 'bond' with every child... just because we are in the caring profession does not make it compulsory to like every child. That does not mean you are a failure.

The Juggler
19-06-2011, 08:53 PM
what Pip said :)

smurfette
19-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Hi interesting thread as I have the exact same dilemma- started in
May and took the first mindee that came along-mum is not very good at communication (will text me at 1am or 630am to see if i will take her!) , she isnt here half the time as her granny is very sick and they often have to go for several days (sympathetic to situation but had to fight with mum about getting paid and then have trouble settling her all over again when she is back) and like the OP just find the little one tiresome and 'hard work' with her constant whinging and just can't bond with her. She is only three days a week and I can fill the space full time but how to terminate the contract?!!

Just wanted to say you are not alone and the other posters are right gut instincts count for a lot!!

crazyhazy
20-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, I do realise some behaviour may be due to feeling unsettled but I actually feel it's because aswell as coming to me, her mum does evening shifts and has friends babysitting and at weekends too. I do feel sorry for her and the situation they are in but equally don't want it to affect my own family. I think I have decided to explain I will have her until Aug but after that I won't be doing wrap around, there is a good club here and a few other childminders with vacancies so am sure she'll be able to find a solution.