PDA

View Full Version : Recession

Ant_h18
19-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Here is a question has the recession hit you or the business and how?

snufflepuff
19-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Yes- I lost a mindee because her Mum's business wasn't going well (landscape gardener). They couldn't afford childcare anymore so LO went to Gran when Mum had to work.

debratina
19-06-2011, 08:06 PM
i am losing my biggest earner this month. mum got no help with childcare costs, so she packed her job in :(

Playmate
19-06-2011, 08:24 PM
We found we had a very high turnover about 18mths back, quite a few made redundant. I'm now finding many mums are returning to work earlier again after ML and very often wanting F/T or 3-4 days a week instead of 1 or 2 days which we found difficult to make the jigsaw fit!

RachelE
19-06-2011, 08:31 PM
I'm lucky that there's only 2 of us in town, so have kept work.

However, I am thinking about how much I spend versus how much I earn - mostly food really.

Rachel x

The Juggler
19-06-2011, 08:51 PM
last year I found it hard to fill my p-time vacancies but work is picking up again this year with mums looking for care for 2 under 5's.

miffy
19-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Not yet but it could do shortly - one mum unsure if she will have a job in a month or so.

Miffy xx

miss mopple
19-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Not so far. I am very lucky to be full and with 2 new ones lined up from Spetember after I have some start school :thumbsup:

Shirlwith3
20-06-2011, 05:29 AM
It has hit me heard as I only have 1 mindee which is 1 1/2 hrs after school 3 days , term tiem only. Not had a call for months either, I did have twins part time term only but as one had a disablity & needed treatment twice a week every 2 weeks mum could not afford to pay me & the feul to go to hospital (which is 10miles away). I am having to do dog boarding & babysitting for agency which helps a little.

The Juggler
20-06-2011, 06:17 AM
It has hit me heard as I only have 1 mindee which is 1 1/2 hrs after school 3 days , term tiem only. Not had a call for months either, I did have twins part time term only but as one had a disablity & needed treatment twice a week every 2 weeks mum could not afford to pay me & the feul to go to hospital (which is 10miles away). I am having to do dog boarding & babysitting for agency which helps a little.

oh shirl sorry to hear that. hope things pick up soon x

Ant_h18
20-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Lets hope it picks up soon.

JCrakers
20-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Ive had no phone calls since Nov :( Hope it picks up soon as Im losing 2 little ones to school n Sept so that means I'll only have 1 2.5yr old all day and she needs a friend...

Becky x

Pixie dust
20-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I currently only have 1 mindee 1 day week, I do have a parent coming at the end of the week wanting 3 days a week so keeping fingers crossed, I am the only childminder in my area but it has been really quiet with parents choosing grandparents for childcare as its free. The one I have now spends 1 day with me and 2 with nanny and granddad.

I am lucky as hubby earns enough to pay the bills and what I earn after expenses is extras for holidays and treats but at the moment 1 day a week isn't covering expenses insurance/resources etc.

Tealady
20-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Last year was dead. I had about 2 calls and neither of them were suitable. There were also alot of new childminders. I went on one course and there were four new ones within 1½ mile radius of me :eek: I also noticed a lot of "grandparents" on the play ground last year too.

However, had lots of calls this year, not all suitable but seen a few different families. Our DO has sent out 2-3 emails in recent times from Childminders giving up so looking for vacancies for their current mindees. I think a some of the new ones last year found themselves out of work and took up the profession and either haven't been able to make it work or decided it wasn't for them. Also less grandparents on the playground too.

BlondeMoment
20-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I've only been doing it a year. Lost one LO due to financial problems this time last year but thats it really. I've been very lucky. TOUCH WOOD! :jump for joy:

JennyM
20-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I only started up in May but have found it to be very quiet so far.

Luckily my Sister is going to be sending my nephew to me for two days a week and I have one three year old a few hours a week at the moment starting for one full day a week in October.

Other than that I don't have anyone and could really do with some more money.

Splodge
20-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Had a really bad year up until september last year, came very close to quitting. From september to march things slowly improved. From march onwards i have been full to bursting and i am so glad i didn't leave childminding.

The down times are the down side to childminding...

yummymummy
20-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Lost half my business due to the recession, one family with 2 children dropped a day due to the funding for mum's job ending and another one went on an extended career break to try to escape redundancy. This all happened before Christmas and have advertised ever since and had ONE phone call, not good!

suzyblue
21-06-2011, 06:53 AM
I have never had empty spaces since starting out 19 years ago but now I have 4 empty spaces! (out of 6) 2 of my parents have given up work this year as its not worth their while working.

miffy
21-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Not yet but it could do shortly - one mum unsure if she will have a job in a month or so.

Miffy xx

Good news for me, mum found out yesterday that she still has a job :thumbsup:

On the flip side hubby's job is now at risk :(

Ever feel that you just can't win? :rolleyes:

Miffy xx