PDA

View Full Version : Having a break from Mindnig rules.

loobyloo168
18-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Hi,

Does anyone know what the rules or guidance is about having a break from minding say for 6 months or a year ?

I did ask my Development Officer who said they had been new guidlines and would send them to me but that was last year, i never got them and now i look after one of the teams children i dont want to ask again.

I want to give up in September when my insurance is up for renewal, but obviously will have to come back to it if things dont work out.

Have searched on OFSTED website but cannot find any thing.

Thanks once again.

alwaysright
18-06-2011, 04:17 PM
as far as i remember if you give up your registration to have a break you have to start the whole process again but if you keep up your registration but just dont renew your insurance then its quite a while, my friend did this and i am now doubting myself writing this but it could have been 12 months?? sure someone will have more info than me :laughing:

Pipsqueak
18-06-2011, 05:33 PM
You can take a break - suspend your registration for 3 years I think it is.

You just tell them you are not minding - however 3 years is your max before they de-reg you

BlondeMoment
18-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I'd call Ofsted and see

Winnie
18-06-2011, 07:48 PM
There is nothing to stop you from taking a break from childminding but as soon as you take on children again you must arrange insurance cover -before the children start - and that can be done easily enough on the phone or online.

I think this is still current:

"The Childcare Act 2006 grants Ofsted the power to cancel the registration of a childminder who has not provided a childminding service for a continuous period of more than three years during which they were registered........

Where a childminder informs Ofsted or the inspector that they have no children on roll, the inspection service provider must send EYL410 at the first notification and EYL411 following each subsequent notification at six-month intervals.
The inspection service provider must send EYL412 at the end of the three-year period in which the childminder has not provided care. This three-year period is one that commenced on or after 1 September 2008. The inspection service provider must submit a copy of this letter including the date it was sent to Ofsted through the data transfer process so that Ofsted can commence proceedings to cancel registration."

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Guidance-for-inspecting-childminders-and-childcare-settings-with-no-children-on-roll-or-no-children-present-at-the-time-of-the-inspection

clio0602
18-06-2011, 07:56 PM
You just let ofsted know you have no children on roll and can have up to 3yrs break although u have to still pay the yearly registration fee.

I intended on having yr off but never lasted that long x

miffy
18-06-2011, 09:19 PM
I think it's better (and cheaper) to keep your registration going while you have a break.

If you cancel it then want to come back to childminding you will have to go through the registration process again.

Miffy xx

alwaysright
18-06-2011, 09:33 PM
glad someone else came along :laughing: i did as first think three years but then was confusing myself thinking i was getting mixed up with inspection times!

Penny1959
19-06-2011, 04:46 AM
This is taken from the ofsted fact sheet dated June 2010

If you are a childminder and continue your registration by paying the annual fee but do not look after children, the law says we can cancel your registration if you have not looked after children for a period of more than three years.

This is the link to check for yourself
http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-Resigning-and-cancelling-registration-from-the-Early-Years-and-Childcare-Register/(language)/eng-GB

Hope that helps

Penny :)

onceinabluemoon
19-06-2011, 06:04 AM
I was going to say 3 years too, so I'm guessing that's right x