PDA

View Full Version : Scared

Babycat
17-06-2011, 11:39 PM
So.. not handed in my notice at work yet and cant chat to many people about my plans to cm! scared that i wont have work!! and leaving work scares me too! anyway was brave and sent my pack to scswis, called today to get my payment then to wait for officer response so now far to scared!! hoping this all goes well! does anyone remember this bit? x

onceinabluemoon
18-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Yes, only too well! I am a single mum to it was a huge leap of faith for me as if it didn't work out I would lose everything!

I tried to find out how busy the other local CMs were but they were particularly stand offish about giving any help to a newbie in the business so I just went for it in the end. My local jobcentre told me they were crying out for CMs in my area but after I'd started the process I found out that the CM who lives closest to me hardly had any work so I was petrified I'd made a massive mistake.

Turned out that I had 2 part time children within 3 weeks of being registered and 3 within 2 months. The 2 part timers went full time after a few months and I haven't looked back, I am booked up well in advance of any places coming up (for example I knew a place was coming in July and it was booked and paid for a month ago!). I know I am very lucky but I have worked extremely hard to get myself out there and noticed, people recommend me all the time and I have even had children coming in to me from neighbouring towns because they've heard of me from others!!

One little bit of advice I was given by a member of this forum is: Remember, as a childminder you are ALWAYS on show! This has served me well as I've had people come to me saying "I've seen how you are with xyz and wondered if you have any spaces"

Good luck honey, let as many people know you are going into CM as you safely can beforehand. x

Trouble
18-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Just go for it xxxxx:thumbsup: and dont look back:cool:

catminder
18-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Just a thought - you wouldn't need to hand your notice in at work until you had some mindees organised if they aren't starting straight away. Hope that helps :)

alwaysright
18-06-2011, 10:44 AM
i remember it well, i had a job i was scared to give up incase i didnt get work, so i carried on until i got my first enquiry which then became my first mindees (twins) then i gave in my notice so had a bit on juggling to do and some time off sick!!

rickysmiths
18-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I supose I was lucky I was made redundant and was on Maternity leave with my second one, I ahd been at home for six months with no 1 and in those days it was unpaid and I was planning to stay at home after no 2 anyway.

Going into cm gave us at bit extra to pay for a holiday and all the birthday and Xmas prezzies.

I only minded in the afternoons and term time only, I wasn't, thank goodness, under pressure to earn a living wage from day one. I don't think it would have been realistic to expect to do that from day one anyway to be honest. I kind of built up to full time as my two got older.:thumbsup:

Babycat
18-06-2011, 09:17 PM
im currently a manager in day care off on maternity and they refused p/t orjob share so its giving me a push! dont want to leave my wee lamb and would rather care for less kids with the quality of care id give to my own! looking forward to it too but big changes can be daunting for us adults too!!

miffy
19-06-2011, 08:19 AM
im currently a manager in day care off on maternity and they refused p/t orjob share so its giving me a push! dont want to leave my wee lamb and would rather care for less kids with the quality of care id give to my own! looking forward to it too but big changes can be daunting for us adults too!!

Shame you're being pushed out of your job but I'm sure you'll enjoy staying at home with your lo and childminding. I started the same way and I'm still minding over 20 years later :D

Miffy xx

sharonmanc
19-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Single mum here too, been made redundant from teaching as my school changed to an academy and they totally changed the curriculumn, so this is a big leap for me too, it is scary but exciting all at the same time. I am determined to make this work, I try to stay positive so those doubts don't pop into my head, it is a big leap but I am sure you will look back in 6 months time and be so glad you made the leap

Kirsty B's
19-06-2011, 07:14 PM
So.. not handed in my notice at work yet and cant chat to many people about my plans to cm! scared that i wont have work!! and leaving work scares me too! anyway was brave and sent my pack to scswis, called today to get my payment then to wait for officer response so now far to scared!! hoping this all goes well! does anyone remember this bit? x

Hiya I am feeling pretty scared too, and I haven't even sent away for my pack from the SCSWIS!
I am quite lucky that I work purely weekends, so I would be able to keep this on for a wee while just to see how things go.
Do you know if there is a lot of demand in your area?
I bumped into my daughters old childminder, who lives a few streets away and she has been turning people away and has been constantly full since she started childminding.

xxxx