PDA

View Full Version : REALLY ANNOYED...SATS for my Y3 son...

VINASOL
17-06-2011, 06:04 PM
..I questioned the validity of my son's homework to my son's (Y3 teacher/Head teacher)...the conversation that ensued has angered me...

...the homework that I "moaned" about, apparently was "essential" to my son completing his SATs testing next week...

Firstly, my son is in Y3 and as far as I was aware there are no national test at Y3....then I was told that our school has VOLUNTEERED to do SATs at Y3 (and perhaps at other levels not yet discussed).

I'm REALLY annoyed....I'm not concerned about my son's SATs scores (as he tests higher) BUT should WE as parents be told???

I have always been told that Y2 (6/7) and Y5 9/10) only did SATs.

What is your view?:angry:

chrissie250
17-06-2011, 06:08 PM
The school my son attends (yr3 also) leaves everything till last minute to tell us and we were only told last week about there SATS and i was under the same impression as many that they only did them in yr 2 and yr 6/7 and the worst thing is i can not say anything to my sons school as we are on a weeks holiday next week! (can i say if i knew he was doing his SATS i would not have arranged a holiday in this week!)

Playmate
17-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Its usually year 2 and 6, my daughter did her year 6 sats last month.

AliceK
17-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree and I'd be annoyed too. You should have been informed A) That they were doing SATS and B) That this homework was part of them.

My DS is in yr 2 and the amount of homework he gets is horrendous for his age. It's one of my real bug-bears :angry: .

He has done his SATS this yr and the school held a mtg to tell parents about it but the mtg was mid afternoon. When I explained that due to work commitments ( 3 LO's) I was unable to attend as I guess were other working parents they were non-plussed about it and said to just read the info that was on the schools website. I'm sure they don't think that any parents of children at that school actually have jobs they're always holding mtgs during the day.

Off my soapbox now :)

xxxx

onceinabluemoon
17-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that you can opt out of SATs if you want to.

(that is you an tell the school you do not wish your child to take part)

sweets
17-06-2011, 06:29 PM
im not being critical here at all but just interseted to know why people worry about SAT's?

a lot of the schools in my area don't even do them as like lots of people and schools they don't agree with them. but a school that i used to pick up from went bonkers over them and gave the kids lots of extra work and held extra catch up classes after school.:eek:

personally i wouldn't worry as they are not all for the childs benefit, just the governments. i also wouldnt hesitate to book a holiday during SAT's time ;)

VINASOL
17-06-2011, 06:35 PM
im not being critical here at all but just interseted to know why people worry about SAT's?

a lot of the schools in my area don't even do them as like lots of people and schools they don't agree with them. but a school that i used to pick up from went bonkers over them and gave the kids lots of extra work and held extra catch up classes after school.:eek:

personally i wouldn't worry as they are not all for the childs benefit, just the governments. i also wouldnt hesitate to book a holiday during SAT's time ;)

I'm not "worried" about SATS, but tbh I would like to know that my child is 'studying' for them (always been told that SATs were Y2 (aged 6/7) and Y5 (8/9)...because that what my school is doing....practisign on my child...I do not believe in SATs...it's a national-average testing EXAM...I am rather lucky that my son is above average but that's not the point...we were not told AT ALL about them. I thin that's wrong. I said to my son's teacher that she should know exactly what level my child is (which she agreed), but this is another text entirely...

sweets
17-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm not "worried" about SATS, but tbh I would like to know that my child is 'studying' for them (always been told that SATs were Y2 (aged 6/7) and Y5 (8/9)...because that what my school is doing....practisign on my child...I do not believe in SATs...it's a national-average testing EXAM...I am rather lucky that my son is above average but that's not the point...we were not told AT ALL about them. I thin that's wrong. I said to my son's teacher that she should know exactly what level my child is (which she agreed), but this is another text entirely...

yes sorry i didnt really help with your post did i!:D

your right you should definately been informed and should complain :thumbsup:

lfishwick
18-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Many schools have used QCA's ( which are exactly like SAT papers but internally marked) at the end of every academic year except 2 & 6 as they fid the 'proper' SATs, then the option of additional SATS came in. To be honest teachers do know exactly where children are level wise but the government wanted benchmark tests as they felt it more consistent than teacher assessment - however they then brought in APP with is an ongoing assessment process with collation of evidence to back up the assessment ( for every child is core subjects) but sometimes local LEA officers or OFSTED want concrete evidence of levels as they feel teacher assessment is to subjective... Great confidence in teachers!!

On the note of telling you - I'm surprised you weren't been made aware but then again if they have been doing it for years QCA wise they may not see it as a big issue ( not saying I agree with that!)

Hope this makes sense and there aren't too many typo's, I'm on my iPhone!

Hebs
18-06-2011, 08:13 AM
yes our school does assessments test papers at the end of every school year