PDA

View Full Version : Wedding at School

Greengrass74
17-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Hi all hope everyone is ok :thumbsup:

I have just picked up one of our mindees (reception class)from school and she has been saying about a wedding, apparently 2 pupils from reception year "got married" today. I had heard something about this as all the children were told to dress smart today.

Just wondered what everyones views are on "weddings" in schools between pupils.

kindredspirits
17-06-2011, 03:19 PM
:huh: i understand it as a child thought up game but who told the kids to dress smart??

Louise317
17-06-2011, 03:23 PM
A school my friends son goes to did this, proper bride, groom bridesmaids and guest... don't know if there was a reason... kids enjoyed it...

Greengrass74
17-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I believe the teachers told the kids to dress smart, they did all the look smart, the boys in shirts and ties and the girls all had pretty dresses.

All the kids seemed to enjoy it.

caz3007
17-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Some of my older mindies did this in year 1 many years ago. My mindie was the bride, so lent her a silk bouquet my DD had. Its just another role play exercise. My Ds has been on a plane (the corridor set up as a plane) to Africa - which was brilliant, african village set up in the hall with a guy teaching them drumming, try african food etc and to Italy, which wasnt so good. :D

RachelE
17-06-2011, 06:32 PM
The 2 reception classes at our school did it in October. Each child had a bride, groom, bridesmaids, mother of bride etc.

Each child in the class ahd a role - photographer ect and all had a name badge.

DD was a bridesmaid and loved it.

The vicar did it as if it were a real wedding and did the 2 weddings at the same time.

It was lovely and it was part of their RE - celebrations and rites of passage.

Very harmless fun, the children loved it and I even had a tear in my eye!! :blush:

Rachel x

Tealady
17-06-2011, 06:42 PM
My DD's reception class did it a few weeks ago. It was part of a wider topic "Living and growing" so they did about being babies (had to take in baby pictures to see how they had changed) and growing into adults. The wedding was also a tie in with the Royal Wedding. They've had tadpoles, silk worms that died and now hatched chicks in an incubator 2 of which died. They are learning body parts so we've had converstions about intestines and that your head bone is called your skull etc.

tulip0803
17-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Our local school has done it twice in the last 4 years. The first time DD2 was in Meithrin (playschool) which is also in the infants area so they were included and Jac y Joc married someone (Welsh children's television characters) all the children got dressed up & their was a reception.

Last year they did it again with the whole school but this time 2 of the children got "married" in a local chapel. All the children dressed up again, some were bridesmaids, ushers etc and they had a whole ceremony with hymns. My DD2 has never been to any real weddings of any kind so it was all new and a total learning activity for her. Parents were also invited and we all sat upstairs in the chapel watching. The real mother of the "bride" was crying - she had been replaced by an 11 year old:D

Babycat
17-06-2011, 11:20 PM
wow this sounds fantastic! all i remember about school is the horrible times table game standing behind your chair and you only got to sit if you got the answer correct yuk!! id panic wrong wrong wrong lol id much rather be a wedding planner lol