PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever get worried they won't come?

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
As you know I signed my first contract yesturday and even though the dad is a police officer and the mum works in the legal part of the local council, I still feel like it is all too good to be true and what if they don't turn up for her settling in session next week?
I know it may sound silly, but I was so excited yesturday, but what if they have decided against it once they left me?
I can't help feeling this way, even though there is no reason to.

I have got to hand my notice in at work as the hours may over lap my little part time evening job and that is what got me thinking about it, what if I hand my notic ein and leave next week and they don't show up!

Have any of you felt like this before?

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 10:46 AM
up........

MissTinkerbell
01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Can't help with the has it happened to you as not registered yet, but I can sympathise with where you are coming from and I'm sure that I will be the same.

After all you have waited so long to finally get to where you are now and I suppose that you can't help being apprehensive and believing that its too good to be true.

Remember that they've signed the contract so should turn up.

All will be well and you'll have a great time. xx

Lou
01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I guess there is always a risk they wont turn up, i have had people sign a contract in the past and then ring and say they have changed their minds!!!

Thats why i always take a deposit, then at least if they do change their minds it is them out of pocket.

Did you take any money off them Sandra?? A deposit or months fee??

Fandangles
01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
If you are really worried why not ring them. I don't think it would hurt to say that you will have to hand your notice in on your other job and you need to be certain before doing this. I think if people realise that their actions could have serious consequences they are less likely to mess you about.

If they have signed a contract is it not possible to get money out of them if they go back on the deal?

ma7ie
01-05-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't know if you already have but I always ask for a weeks deposit which is non refundable if they don't turn up when they come and sign the contracts. That way you have at least got some money. :)

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 12:26 PM
No Lou, I didn't take a deposit! I didn't think about it. I thought that seeign as though she is starting very soon I wouldn't need one.

I getting silly, I know it, after all the parents have been waiting for me to ring them since easter.

They came in and didn't want a drink they just wanted to sign and go, but ended up staying for over an hour.

I think I can trust them, after all they seem professional and honest people.

I will ring them on Monday just to confirm the settling in session.

berkschick
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Yes, I always feel like this!

It hasnt happened yet though.

I have 9 on my books and have only taken a deposit from 1 of them as the others were starting within a month or less. The deposit one isnt starting until June but signed up in March.

Dont worry, I think it is natural to feel worried but I am sure it will all be fine.

chels55
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
It was exactly the same for me, don't worry everything will be fine

Mollymop
01-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Thanks you have made me feel better about it!:clapping:
I keep telling myself that if they didn't want me they wouldn't be to so eager to sign the contracts, and they wouldn't have kept their appointment or rang me straight back.
She also kept saying "ohh, thank you love"
So I think I am doing them a favour as well as them doing me one for trusting me in the first place. X
I'll hopefully be laughing at his thread in a few weeks time.

Pipsqueak
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Don't forget that they have signed the contract which is a legally binding document - they will have to pay up for the notice period!!!

I am sure it will be fine Sandra! wishing you well with your new contract....

Spangles
01-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I worry too! I don't believe it until they turn up on my doorstep!

susi513
01-05-2008, 03:59 PM
It happened to me once. Stupid woman signed my contract AND one with another childminder! As it was a last minute thing I hadn't turned anyone else away so didn't pursue her for payment but wish I hadn't let her get away with it.

Since then I get a months deposit so if they don't turn up I shall have a months money to console myself with. And I keep it til they leave so I'm covered for the notice period too. As I've had people leave due to loss of job which makes it hard for them to find the last payment and I ended up waiving the whole notice period twice. TOO SOFT!

Sure you won't be as unlucky as me, your family sounds much nicer but do think about getting a deposit in future for peace of mind.

jaja
02-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I had this happen to me a while ago, lady signed and then two days later lost her job! she did pay me four weeks notice and said if she got another job then she would be in touch no heard anything yet though!

I have never had this happen in five years but its just one of those things that happen.

how did you get on?

chez1373
05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
It has happened to me too...
I had a mum come with 3 little ones sign contracts seemed very happy signed all permision forms for 3 children everything was done so lots of paperwork and when it came to never showed up not a phone call or anything so it can happen but not always..
I didnt take a deposit or anything either felt cheated and very annoyed.

Try not to worry and if you are worried give them a quick call and reasure yourself and them that your still happy and ask if they are still happy also if they have thought of any questions for you thats always a good way of starting the conversation

Good luck

miffy
05-05-2008, 07:31 AM
I've never had this happen to me - thankfully but I know what you mean.

I think taking a deposit (not that I do - too soft) is a good idea as you have the money in hand then if anything does go wrong.

I'm sure it will be OK Sandra but at least you have some ideas for next time if you're unsure

miffy xx