PDA

View Full Version : Open plan living room, dining room, kitchen?

Kirsty B's
17-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Hiya I am unsure if I will become registered because of the layout of my flat.

The living room has an archway leading straight into the dining room and kitchen ( the kitchen was originally a seperate room but the wall taken down by previous owners to make it one big room)

I will of course have cupboard/drawer locks, hob guard and oven guard, when oven is not in use it is switched off at the mains.
I am just wondering really if the SCWIS would need me to put a safety gate somewhere? As I can't find any big enough for the arch way!

xxxx

angiemog
17-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I have something similar, I use a lindam play pen as a room divider. There are about £70 new, I got mine for £30 from ebay. You get the attachments to make it fit as a room divider. I think it is handy to have an area you can close off, after messy play etc.... good luck. x

rickysmiths
17-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I have that kind of arrangement. I have no cleaning products in the cupboard under my sink because I am lucky enough to have a utility room.

The Utility Room door has an alarm on it. A small self adhesive one on the top of the door. Boy does it make a noice if the door is opened. Frightened my 7yr old mindeee half to death when I fitted it and he tried to go in the Utility room to Hide foe Hide and Seek :laughing:

I don't have any cupboard or drawer locks, I refuse, I had a lovely new kitchen fitted last year.

I, in all my years of minding have only ever had a catch on the under sink cupboard. I keep all my knives in a knife block at the back of the work top.

The children learn not to rifle through my drawers and cupboads and respect my home. Even though it is all open plan, no one goes in the kitchen unless I say so, I can see it and stop anyone who tries! It is surprising how quickly and at how young they learn. I have 2 x14mth old toddlers and they already know the boundries.

Haven't been inspected since we had the extention built last year. Our prevoius kitchen /diner was joined and they didn't ask for a barrier to be put up between them.

Kirsty B's
19-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the replies. They have put m mind at rest a wee bit.

xxx

The Juggler
19-06-2011, 08:56 PM
glad you are feeling more relaxed about it. I have my lounge but then I use my kitchen/dining room for all messy play, eating and cooking. It's also the only way to get out to the garden.

good luckx