PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on certain aged children

missnaughty
17-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Hi All

I am curious to know if anyone has decided not to take children under one or a particular age group.

I am thinking when I become registered not to take on under ones straight away. I am wanting to get more organised and enjoy the older ones before I decide on under ones.

Just looking for people's experience if they have decided not to take a certain age, and if they feel that decision was the right one.

Thanks x

PixiePetal
17-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I take on what fits best for me and other mindees I have at the time. When my children were young it was nice to have children of similar ages to play together.

I don't take on 3 non walkers - wouldn't have a baby and 2 x 1 yr olds. I have no desire to get a triple buggy and don't drive so need to be able to use the bus with them all. It just wouldn't work for me.

I don't do schoolies as I don't want school runs runs now mine are teens but do have some older ones in school hols and inset days ad hoc - past mindees who never quite leave :)

You need to do what is best for you :)

Happy Bunny
17-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Hi i decided not to take any over 8's lol
Purely because in the past i had difficult mindees and it affected my care of the under 5's.

caz3007
17-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Hi i decided not to take any over 8's lol
Purely because in the past i had difficult mindees and it affected my care of the under 5's.

I am the same, they are difficult when they get to that age. Its harder to juggle all the children when you have huge age gaps, having said that my DS is now 8 and would probably like someone of a similar age to play with

mama2three
17-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Financially I wasnt in a position to be picky so have a wide range of ages. In an ideal world I would have lots of enquiries and be able to cherry pick the ones I prefer , but not in the real world. You may be luckier than me and be in a high demand area though , so good luck x

little chickee
17-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I stick to preschoolers.

My own boys get buses to and from school - picked up outside the house and it is just too much hassle for me to get up to school to drop off and pick up so i don't do it.

I'm in Scotland so we don't have the over 8's rule - all kids including my own who are now 8, 11 and 14 count in my numbers so i keep my spaces for full days.

sarah707
17-06-2011, 10:35 AM
I consider whether the children will work well together.

I also aim to have a spread of ages so that I don't have, for example, more than 2 non walkers in the double buggy :D

blue bear
17-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I have all part timers so some days I only have 3 and 4 year Olds and other days I have 4 non walkers (. 3 just tottering) it works for me, every day is different. I don't take on schoolies unless they are home grown

AliceK
17-06-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't take on anyone older than my own eldest child (7yrs). I also after past experience don't take on under 1's. At the moment it's a nice mix of 19mths, 2yrs, 3yrs, two x 5yrs and 7yrs.

You will work out what's best for you as you go along :thumbsup:

xxxxx

kel1983
17-06-2011, 12:03 PM
mine are 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10

Oh and just about to take on a 6 month old :clapping:

I think it's nice for the lo's to have a few older ones round especially the ones that have no brothers and sisters. But I also think its nice to have ones similar age so they have someone to play with

At the moment we are taking them if they fit in with our spaces. We let parents know what ages we have so they can choose for themselves

miffy
17-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I just try and make sure all the children will gel together, but sometimes you can't pick and choose it just depends on how much work is available in your area.

Miffy xx

missnaughty
17-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I really worry about taking the under one's only because if Ofsted allow me to mind I want to concentrate on pre-school and do lots with them. i worry if I take a baby on I wont be able to give my full attention to the others.

I love babies but know how much hard work they can be.:eek:
I would like some after schoolies also as my youngest who is 9 would quite like people her own age to play with after school. :)

miffy
17-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I really worry about taking the under one's only because if Ofsted allow me to mind I want to concentrate on pre-school and do lots with them. i worry if I take a baby on I wont be able to give my full attention to the others.

I would like some after schoolies also as my youngest who is 9 would quite like people her own age to play with after school. :)

That's fine - you can always advertise that you have vacancies for X and X age children.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
17-06-2011, 12:47 PM
preschoolers for me :thumbsup:

nokidshere
17-06-2011, 01:28 PM
after schoolies only for me :thumbsup:

6 hours a day all to myself, hardly any paperwork, children who can decide for themselves what to do and when to do it and no nappies :D

AliceK
17-06-2011, 02:02 PM

This is exactly the reason I no longer take under 1's. I found out the hard way though :(

xxxxx

alwaysright
17-06-2011, 02:39 PM

6 hours a day all to myself, hardly any paperwork, children who can decide for themselves what to do and when to do it and no nappies :D

thats what i'd love to do! i did aim to do it by last september but just didnt get any calls so had to stick with little ones! but i love doing after schools, the ones i have at the moment all get on great together, play lovely, and my daughter has someone to play with after school most nights!!

Rubybubbles
17-06-2011, 03:27 PM
I have had a range over the years lol!

Currently have 10 month old, 18 month old and 24 month old:thumbsup: Lots of demand for school runs but don't want them lol, over the past 6 months they have moved away and I have not filled the spaces, I enjoy having the lo's!

In july the 24 month old finishes, so another pre-schooler/walker would be good!

Chimps Childminding
17-06-2011, 03:33 PM
I would prefer to have just pre-schoolies. I don't take on school age children, but have 4 on my books who I had before they started school and as there is no wrap around care available at our local primary, they are still here (oh and another one due to start school in september, same problem :( ).

This is also starting to have an impact on me being able to fill my under 5 spaces as I will have 4 under 8's coming in from school twice a week, so only leaving me 2 spaces on those days. At the moment it isn't a problem, but should I need to fill the spaces I would have to seriously think about it!

In an ideal world I would like to say that once they start school I will not be able to have them (unless they had younger siblings maybe :rolleyes: ).

I find it I usually have to wake someone up to go and do school pick up and especially when the weather is bad my house suddenly seems so much smaller once 3.30 arrives :eek:

Lady Haha
17-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Same here!!!!

Just out of interest, the minders who said they don't care for over 8's. What do you do when you have a mindee from the age of 4 at school for instance and they stay with you? Surely you don't give notice a month before their 8th birthday or from the following Sept (so once they are in year 5, they're out!). Tempting though it sounds!!!!

funemnx
17-06-2011, 04:42 PM
In an ideal world I'd like 3 x 2 year olds full time and 3 x 5 year olds...... and keep them that age until I retire!! :laughing: :laughing:

In reality, I take what I can get :D

Ripeberry
17-06-2011, 08:01 PM
At the moment I have a 33 month old, 11 month old, 16 month old and a 4yr old.
My own kids are 9yrs and 6.5yrs. I find pre-schoolers easier and they eat less! :D
I only have one 4yr old girl and she eats non-stop when she gets in from school.
Always hungry and always wanting more :rolleyes:

lisa b
17-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I take on all ages. But i do know some childminders that only have over 5's so they dont have to do development folders, and also some childminders that only have before and after school children and school holidays care.

Just go with what you feel comfortable with x

lisa b
17-06-2011, 08:09 PM
At the moment I have a 33 month old, 11 month old, 16 month old and a 4yr old.
My own kids are 9yrs and 6.5yrs. I find pre-schoolers easier and they eat less! :D
I only have one 4yr old girl and she eats non-stop when she gets in from school.
Always hungry and always wanting more :rolleyes:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Shopping bills are extremely high due to extra eaters! lol

mushpea
18-06-2011, 06:59 AM
I would love to just have the under 5's but finacialy thats not going to happen for a while, Iused to be wary of the over 8s but my two are 10yrs and 12yrs and the oldest mindee turned 8 in april , she has been with me 3yrs and another mindee turns 8 in november and he will have been with me 2.5yrs,,,I think its easier when they reach this age if they have been with you a while as they have gotten to know the rules and you have got to know the child, it would possibley by different if you had a over 8yrs come in to your setting from an older age,, they do resent being sent to a childminder as they get older too.

danasdaycare
18-06-2011, 07:05 AM
I also aim to have a spread of ages so that I don't have, for example, more than 2 non walkers in the double buggy :D

Great idea.

I am thinking that my lo is good walker and still 2 so to get a buggy board if two mindees are non walkers?

I have found so far that all people contacting me have under 2's, which would be the biggest earning market for me at the moment as only C/M part time.

Best wishes in your vocation :thumbsup:

Dana

onceinabluemoon
18-06-2011, 07:30 AM
I take all ages up to about 12 (but would take older if asked and it was the right child).

I often have two under ones which can be very hard work depending on the children involved but is soooooo rewarding when you see them turning into lovely little people and you know you've had a hand in that. I also take school age children but prefer not to do after school runs as it is too much of a tie having to be back at a certain time every day.

I currently have: 12 months, 14 months, 3YO, 4YO in the day and, 5YO and 7YO before school. Both the babies have been with me since they were very young (3 weeks and 5 months)

After the summer I will have 5months, 15 months, 17 months, 3 years in the day, and 4YO, 5YO and 7YO before school.