PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 1 hour birthday

BlondeMoment
16-06-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi everyone.

One of my mindees has her 5th birthday next weds and it's a day she's with me. I was planning on making a fuss of her of course, but Mum said to me this morning that she's not going to get a party this year as the weekends either side of her birthday are "busy" ( :( Poor little girl)
So she's asked me if I can do something a bit special for her like a few games or something here. There is only her and one other mindee the same age here that day and I only have her from school pick up until 5. Which realistically is just an hour once we get back etc.
What can I possibly do in an hour? Any ideas?

LChurch
16-06-2011, 06:24 PM
That is so sad, I always think 5 is an important age to celebrate. It shouldn't be down to you really although I always make sure we have a cake etc for birthdays depending on age of child we might do a game. Could you perhaps do a cake and depending on age of other mindees or children you have pass the parcel? Not sure how many you have other than this little girl and other one same age

rhea26
16-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Ah thats a shame she isnt celebrating with family, how about a cake with a couple of games or some nice crafts to make if she likes that sort of thing? Does she stay for tea, could do a little party tea if she does?

Tealady
16-06-2011, 06:33 PM
My mindees get to choose what they have for tea on their birthday.

You could perhaps bake some fairy cakes and get them to decorate them. You could bake them so they are cool enough for them and then make a couple of batches of butter cream and get some small sweets, silver balls and sprinkles and get them to decorate them. You could then stick candles in them (RA!) and then do "Happy Birthday". They then get to take them home.

BlondeMoment
16-06-2011, 09:31 PM
That is so sad, I always think 5 is an important age to celebrate. It shouldn't be down to you really although I always make sure we have a cake etc for birthdays depending on age of child we might do a game. Could you perhaps do a cake and depending on age of other mindees or children you have pass the parcel? Not sure how many you have other than this little girl and other one same age

Me too. I always do a little something for birthdays, like their favourite tea, and a cake but the fact this will be the only celebration she has, kinda puts some pressure on.

I do have one other child who is 3 but Pass the Parcle with 3 kids is going to be over pretty quickly.
Was thinking about taking her out to Pizzahut or McDonalds or something. Only when I suggested that to Mum she didn't seem terribly keen saying she's not been to any of those places before. Surely then it's more of a treat! She's a strange woman. Can't quite figure her out in general really. And really don't understand what can be stop you having a celebration with your child for their birthday. :angry:

muffins
16-06-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't have any suggestions sorry. I do however think its sad that mum isn't going to have a party for her. I always do something for mindees birthdays but mum really shouldn't have asked you as its not your job:rolleyes:

I did however have a mindee on his 1st birthday once for 11hrs:mad: he was plucked straight from his cot, into car & left with me still in his night nappy & PJ's:angry: We had a wonderful day:D

newbie1512
17-06-2011, 05:28 AM
What about a mini pamper party. You could ask mum if she has any objections to the little one having her hair done (maybe put it up and with a flower clip or something) nails painted? and a little tea party

Or have a little garden party, make a few fairy cakes and balloons up in the garden, that sort of thing

The Juggler
17-06-2011, 06:20 AM
i would just get balloons and banners and a cake and sing happy birthday hon. tell mum you only have one other mindee so it's not going to be a party and there is only an hour.

Maybe do a pass the parcel if you have time?? poor kid. parents don't have to organise a big party for it to be special for her do they:(

mama2three
17-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Id make sure mum knows that what youre doing is low key and will not begin to replace a party! My ds is 5 soon too , weekends either side are busy too ( family weddings) - so we have to do something another day! If she picks up at 5 they could still go off to the pictures or something with a couple of her friends! If she thinks you are giving her daughter a little party then she will be able to shrug off the guilt!

But - then Id do what I could to spoil mindee - balloons , dress up , make crowns and tiaras etc , cakes and jelly and icecream , party music...

Jods
17-06-2011, 07:09 AM
Okay - not nice but hey di ho -

suggestions - I like the papmer party bit, decorate your own birthday cake, let her loose with sprinkles/edible glitter, hide a gift and do a treasure hunt with clues aimed at her development level, hide small gifts in some balloons (like bracelets/rubbers etc) and have a pop the balloon party, dressing up competition, good old tea party with cucumber sandwiches lol!!!

hope she has a great time, my sister is now 17, but many a time I did her birthday, sad really, but I am the one she is grateful to x

BlondeMoment
18-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Okay - not nice but hey di ho -

suggestions - I like the papmer party bit, decorate your own birthday cake, let her loose with sprinkles/edible glitter, hide a gift and do a treasure hunt with clues aimed at her development level, hide small gifts in some balloons (like bracelets/rubbers etc) and have a pop the balloon party, dressing up competition, good old tea party with cucumber sandwiches lol!!!

hope she has a great time, my sister is now 17, but many a time I did her birthday, sad really, but I am the one she is grateful to x

Aw thats sweet!
Yeah liking that idea. Guess will see what the weather is going to do. Outdoor garden party with decorations does sound nice!

onceinabluemoon
18-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Some fabulous ideas there! Hope you manage to make it a really special day for her but dont feel too guilty of you cant.

Since mum wants you to do all this I would ask her what her budget is and whether she'd like to fund beforehand or reimburse you afterwards... (and I'm not joking, I really would!)

flowerpots
18-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Some fabulous ideas there! Hope you manage to make it a really special day for her but dont feel too guilty of you cant.

Since mum wants you to do all this I would ask her what her budget is and whether she'd like to fund beforehand or reimburse you afterwards... (and I'm not joking, I really would!)
I agree hun, i think shes a little bit cheeky asking. :rolleyes:

BlondeMoment
18-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Well I certainly won't be spending anything over the usual budget I have for these things and she'll be asked to provide a cake

alwaysright
18-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Me too. I always do a little something for birthdays, like their favourite tea, and a cake but the fact this will be the only celebration she has, kinda puts some pressure on.

I do have one other child who is 3 but Pass the Parcle with 3 kids is going to be over pretty quickly.
Was thinking about taking her out to Pizzahut or McDonalds or something. Only when I suggested that to Mum she didn't seem terribly keen saying she's not been to any of those places before. Surely then it's more of a treat! She's a strange woman. Can't quite figure her out in general really. And really don't understand what can be stop you having a celebration with your child for their birthday. :angry:

shes got a bit of a cheek then!! asks you to celebrate HER daughters birthday cos she hasnt got time/cant be bothered then objects to what you have planned!! i would let her know what you are doing and let her know if shes not happy she can always take her somewhere herself!!

BlondeMoment
19-06-2011, 10:18 PM
shes got a bit of a cheek then!! asks you to celebrate HER daughters birthday cos she hasnt got time/cant be bothered then objects to what you have planned!! i would let her know what you are doing and let her know if shes not happy she can always take her somewhere herself!!

You're absolutely right!!!! Getting a plan together here ....:cool:

The Juggler
20-06-2011, 06:21 AM

i think I would too in this case, though I wouldn't normally :thumbsup: