PDA

View Full Version : Tonsilitis

Cammie Doodle
01-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Hi a bit of advise please !
A mindee has Tonsilitis My book says no exclusion
Just wondered what all your views where of caring for a child whilst having this?.

Rubybubbles
01-05-2008, 10:32 AM
if undergoing treatment for it and it's not effecting the other children in the setting I would let them come

hth

SimplyLucy
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
If he's on antibiotics then he needs to be excluded for the first 24hours anyhow.

I guess after that it would depend on how unwell the child is. If he has a temprature and is really poorly then I'd exclude.

sarah707
01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
If the child can join in with the normal stuff you have to do every day then they are fine to come... if not, they need to be at home...

That's what my policy says :D

Pipsqueak
01-05-2008, 11:32 AM
Tonsillitus can knock a child for six bless them( other times it can be quite unnoticable). It can be quite painful, they need to drink lots and need lots of quiet/rest time and TLC. If the child is up to it then they can do whatever they choose to do.

Pain relief meds are sometimes needed along with the anti-b's as well.

ma7ie
01-05-2008, 12:36 PM
My policy says the same as sarahnev. If they can join in normal day to day activities then they can come. :)

Delly
01-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I agree, when my ds had tonsilitis a couple of weeks ago, I advised my parents of the situation and left it up to them to decide. What i did do was be more than usual strict on sharing of cups dummies etc, as you know what young kids are like.

Noodles
01-05-2008, 12:49 PM
My daughter suffers from tonsilitis and is awaiting an appt to have them out. When she does get tonsilitis she is really poorly and not well enough to go to school as it really knocks her for six.

sarah707
01-05-2008, 12:58 PM
My daughter suffers from tonsilitis and is awaiting an appt to have them out. When she does get tonsilitis she is really poorly and not well enough to go to school as it really knocks her for six.

Aww bless! I know what you are going through!

My dd had them every 4 or 5 weeks until she was finally allowed to have them out when she was 5... she was a changed child within days of the operation and I wish I'd pushed harder to get them to do it earlier. All that pain could have been avoided but they were adament she had to wait :(

Noodles
01-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Aww bless! I know what you are going through!

My dd had them every 4 or 5 weeks until she was finally allowed to have them out when she was 5... she was a changed child within days of the operation and I wish I'd pushed harder to get them to do it earlier. All that pain could have been avoided but they were adament she had to wait :(

My daughter is 14 now and has been suffering for years. We changed GP and after 4 episodes in 3 months the GP refered her at last

Cammie Doodle
01-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for your advise girls and boys :)
I suffered fromTonsilitis as a child and its not pleasant . :(

Pipsqueak
01-05-2008, 01:49 PM
James had his out last year when he was two - his bouts never seemed to clear up and he was so poorly bless him! Generally they don't like doing this op on under 5's either so I was nearly beside myself when I left him theatre.

For anyone who's kids suffer the same - tell your GP that you want a referal to ENT and bug the life out of your GP. I think its 3/4 episodes of tonsilitus in 1 yea.