PDA

View Full Version : FUMING!!!

holly...007
15-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey everyone, I'm sorry my first post on here has to be a rant! :angry: But hubby just doesn't understand where I'm coming from! Hopefully you lot will! :D Here goes....

Two weeks ago I had my 1st phone call. It was a single mum looking care for her 18mth old son! :clapping: whooohooo says me! So i did what everyone does, sleepless nights, cleaning frenzy, paperwork to perfection.... She arrived with her son last tuesday evening, we had a lovely time, she was so happy and impressed with the setting. She stayed TWO HOURS!!! I really thought I had it in the bag. She told me she would be in contact before the weekend and asked me to email her all my policies, etc.

Here it comes... I've just found out she is also a childminder!!!! Why would someone just lie like that??? Is this a common thing??? She totally wasted my time and energy and has left me really upset. Taken all my ideas, menus, fees and policies! Maybe I'm just really niave... live and learn I suppose!

handeme
15-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I am just waiting for someone to come back to me on a space but I have a feeling they too are doing the same, i totally understand where your coming from.

I would let her know that you know, just drop her a line saying I am aware that you are minding and should you have needed help then you should of asked for it and that you dont apreciate being lied too.

Fancy using your own child as a part of your cheeky lie!

c x
I will be doing the same.

holly...007
15-06-2011, 02:53 PM
Thanks, nice to know I'm not alone! Might just take your advice :D We could look at it this way... They feel threatened by the stiff competition and want to step up to our high standards! :p

Ripeberry
15-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Can't believe the cheek of it. How did you find out she was a CM? Is she just starting out?
Just remind her that policies are individual to each CM and she will be getting into hot water if she copies them :angry:

She could have just asked you, but suppose her name is mud now before she has even started :rolleyes:

shazsull
15-06-2011, 03:12 PM
sorry i just wouldnt have the front to do that !!!! id be sooooo angry!!!i cant believe the bare faced cheek x

Lil chicken
15-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I'd been ranting, totally ranting!

Imagine doing that! Well she won't have a very good reputation now......:laughing: :laughing:

kindredspirits
15-06-2011, 03:19 PM
no its not a common thing to do - frankly its a completely low life thing to do and I can see why you are so upset.
I personally would confront her and tell her that next time she'd like to steal all your ideas and policies would she please be upfront rather than wasting your time and energy. :angry: :angry: we're not all like that I promise!

holly...007
15-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks girls for your support! xx :D :D

I found out by seeing her flyer in the local library, complete with photo! :censored: I'm only new to the area too so I don't know if she is new to this or what.

Wonder if she is reading this post??? :ROFL1:

I would gladly help out anyone, but I feel she has just robbed me! And the fact she took up TWO HOURS of my time... I missed out on the soaps!!! :eek:

Tuff lesson learned I suppose... don't give out policies etc until it comes to signing contracts! Onwards an Upwards! x

the happy house
15-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I suppose it's possible that she's giving up childminding and is genuinely looking for childcare herself. When I stopped childminding for a while I needed childcare and visited a few minders... I didn't let on as I didn't want them to feel they had something to proove or be intimidated.

Baildon bears
15-06-2011, 04:02 PM
That's terrible, do you have a co-ordinater you could report her to? I only give out copy's of my policy's once they have signed contracts. I hope her name is mud now.

wendywu
15-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I would ask her direct if she is looking for care for her 18month old or was she just out to steal your policies.

You never know she may be looking for childcare.

After all she would have to have some neck to hoodwink you in this way as both being minders your path would cross at some stage in the future. :mad:

loocyloo
15-06-2011, 04:36 PM
i know a couple of other childminders who this has happened to :angry:

i wish people would say, but this lady might genuinely be looking for childcare. i know a childminder who uses a childminder herself one day a week!

Playmate
15-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Some one did this to Mick and I a few years ago. We were fuming, even more so when we lost 2 of our children to her because she advertised over night care :angry: however we managed to stumble across her ofsted number and looked at her report which stated not registered for overnight care - so reported her :laughing: It didn't get our children back or our policies, but made us feel better :D

I'm really sorry if this has happened to you. We no long give out policies until contracts are signed.

danasdaycare
15-06-2011, 04:45 PM
So immoral of her.:eek:

Definitely look up her details to pass on if you can.

My child development Officer and SCSWIS officer both were very insistent that policies had to be own!

You have made me think about checking out details now before I have enquiries...so thanks.

P.S. Other half's generally have a different point of view:rolleyes: mine does!

~Chelle~
15-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Like a few of the others have said, are you sure she is not giving it up??

I had someone call me about childcare and I recognised the name and looked her up and she was another childminder.

She approached me at the school and I recognised her and she said that she had given up childminding and couple of years ago and now worked for the NHS and just needed someone to collect her child after school.

I do suspect though that the person who contacted you is an active childminder who is starting out and has blatantly lied to get her hands on your policies. If she has done this then she is a total :censored:

Especially introducing her child to you and staying in your home for 2 hours, leading you to believe that she wants you to have her child.:censored:

I would confront her. Did she let you know that she would contact you? I would call her and ask her if she is still requiring childcare.

x

~Chelle~
15-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Some one did this to Mick and I a few years ago. We were fuming, even more so when we lost 2 of our children to her because she advertised over night care :angry: however we managed to stumble across her ofsted number and looked at her report which stated not registered for overnight care - so reported her :laughing: It didn't get our children back or our policies, but made us feel better :D

Good on you, I would have done the same xx

nannymcflea
15-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Live and learn, chalk it down to experience, if she is indeed scoping you out!

Let parents read your policies and tell them they can have a copy if/when they have signed with you.

Hope you get some more parents through the door soon. xx

angeldelight
15-06-2011, 04:59 PM
I would be angry

I would have to give her a call and ask why she was dishonest

Or I would book an appointment to see her making out I was looking for a minder.Imagine HER face if you turned up at her door :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

rickysmiths
15-06-2011, 05:07 PM
I would ring her and ask her if she is really looking or not.

If she isn't then I would tell her you are very upset at the way she has treated you, how would she feel?

I would tell her that you will be sending her an invoice for your time and for your Policies.

You will also be happy to help if she needs it,(if you are, it sounds as if you got on) but you do not like her sneeky behaviour.

Do you go to a local Chilminding group? Maybe suggest she goes so she has contact with other minders for support and advise.

miffy
15-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I would have to find out whether she was genuinely looking for childcare or just out to get hold of your policies.

I am sceptical she was genuinely looking for childcare - I've never had a parent ask me to e-mail them all my policies.

If you know where she lives I'd be tempted to turn up and ask her, although I do like Angel's idea :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

~Chelle~
15-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Or I would book an appointment to see her making out I was looking for a minder.Imagine HER face if you turned up at her door :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Would love to be a fly on the wall there lol

Maza
15-06-2011, 05:22 PM
How annoying. You could really make her squirm if you are feeling naughty - keep emailing her asking if she would like her place and tell her you have turned down other parents because you are waiting to hear from her, making calls pretending to be a potential parent and arranging an appointment etc. Or you could follow some of the more professional advice given!

caz3007
15-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I had a mum ring me to make an appointment. I went to toddler group the next week and was introduced to said parent as someone who was registering. I cancelled the appointment, I wouldnt have minded if she had asked for help, but to underhandly ring me and then turn up at toddler group, was a bit out of order.

Blue Boy
15-06-2011, 05:28 PM
So sorry to hear your news:( As Playmate said it happened to us aswell:angry: Are you a member of the NCMA and if so have you got a local Development Officer? if so it might be an idea to speak to them and tell them what has happened. If the other Low Life(Sorry but that is what thet are:angry: )is also in the NCMA they the DO will know and the can have a little word with them.
I know it wont solve anything but they may think again if they know they have been caught out.

Chimps Childminding
15-06-2011, 05:36 PM
If she was just out to get your policies etc. then that its just downright mean. After all, as others have said we have all been new minders at one time or another and needed help, but to ask for help rather than steal someone elses ideas, not to mention time would have been better.

On the other hand she could genuinely be looking for care for her child :rolleyes: .

I would be inclned to chase her up, saying you have others after the space and is she interested and if she messes you about, then maybe do as someone else suggested and ring to see if she has any spaces and go visit!!!

The look on her face would be priceless!!!!

Whatever you do, I would certainly make sure that she knows that you know :angry:

Good luck :thumbsup:

georgie456
15-06-2011, 06:07 PM
I think a few of us have learnt the hard way in the past to never give out policies etc until contracts are signed and deposits are taken!!!!

Sorry this happened to you. I would most definitely be contacting my development officer to voice my displeasure!!! What an underhand thing to do :(

Rubybubbles
15-06-2011, 06:18 PM
that sucks:(

funemnx
15-06-2011, 06:26 PM
What a rotten thing for her to do! :angry:

If she was genuinely looking for childcare then she would have mentioned that she was a childminder or ex-childminder herself in conversation surely? It would only be natural!

Maybe we should all e-mail her with an enquiry :thumbsup:

holly...007
15-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all your help girls, you really are a lovely bunch! x :D

.... Angel... I like your style! :ROFL1:

.... as for chasing her up an confronting her, I'm a chicken when it comes to standing up for myself.... I felt better after posting my rant!

I'll just put the whole thing down to experience and a hard lesson learnt. I've also learnt that it's dog eat dog out here in the world of self emloyment! lol!

P.S. I never even thought that she could actually be an ex childminder! Could happen I suppose... but strange not to drop it into a 2 hour long visit!

candylove13
15-06-2011, 08:15 PM
If its genuine she will get in contact. I would definitely do a follow email or phone call to see if she wants the place. If you don't want to confront her head on then don't let on you know she is a CM.

I would get a copy of her flyer and show it to development worker and ask if they know her. Its a terrible thing and I think most of us if just asked would be willing to help or share ideas with others. You only have to visit this forum to see that.

I had a lady ring a few months back enquiring about childcare. I don't know why but the questions seemed strange and she was very clued up for a parent looking for childcare (knew all about Ofsted regulations) I agreed to call her back as it was home time and lots of parents at the door. I googled her number and it was another CM :angry: I laugh it off now but its not nice.

Although, when I was pre-reg my DO suggested ringing round local minders to find out about fees and competition, not letting on who I was. This was something I could not do, its way too sneaky and its not hard to find out the going rate in your area. It may be the case she has been advised to do it, to strengthen her business but taking the policies is really :censored:

Name and shame :thumbsup:

The Juggler
15-06-2011, 08:21 PM
i would phone her and ask her outright why she did this.:( I have to always find out.

Tell her you would happily have helped a newbie out but this is out and out stealing and laziness.

sock it to her :angry: :angry:

Tealady
16-06-2011, 02:15 PM
What hours is she after? If she's advertising perhaps she has a part time job until things pick up.

I have a part time job and was looking for a childminder. Sent out 5 enquiries fully explaining that I was a Childminder but as I had no mindees I was working part time so needed care. Not one got back to me, and I wondered if it was because they thought I would poach ideas, paperwork or mindees.

My DS therefore started Pre-school at 15mnths :eek: and I feel such a hypocrite being a childminder and then sending my LO to Pre-school :(

holly...007
16-06-2011, 03:52 PM
It was care for full time. Anyway, I emailed her lastnight after the gentle persuasion from you lot! :laughing: I didn't let on I know she is a childminder (have done more research, she has an ad on gumtree... A very recent one!!!) :angry: .... So far nowt back :rolleyes:

Its a lesson I've learnt.... I won't be so open and time giving with my next parent visit! Friendly but professional :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
16-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Oh dear. Well I'm a great believer in 'What goes round comes round'. She be done herself one day and hear her bleat about it. :laughing:

cupcake22
16-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I had a couple come to see me a few weeks ago. I gave them my profile folder with info about myself & all my references & a folder with all my polices & paperwrk. The had a quick flick through my policies & the hubby said " can we have a copy of these to take away & read at home as its & lot to read now".
All other parents that have come to see in the past haven't had a problem reading it there & then. I said no these are my own work & have taken hours to writing to get them perfect. I refused & said you will be given a copy of them if & when the contact is signed. I also said you will need to sign to say that you have read & understood them.
They didnt even bother to read my references. They soon left & I never heard from them again although on an advertising website they are still looking for childcare. You can never be to carefull.

Cupcake22

holly...007
16-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah, I have a parent file with all policies printed too for parents to read while I play with lil one or make a cuppa. She told me it was too much to read in one go! I'm so silly and kicking myself over the whole thing. Too trusting is what I am! :rolleyes:

On another note... I have a plan :idea: .... My sis is goina give her a visit next week... just to see exactly what she has copied from me ... (If anything!) Its not just the policies I'm annoyed about, I showed her around every room on my ground floor, recipe books I'll be using, a scrap book of activities, planners, there was nothing I couldn't answer for her. I worked my ass off that evening trying to seal the deal. :angry:

TIMEWASTER!!!! I HOPE YOU ARE READING THIS POST!!!! :angry:

fiona
16-06-2011, 08:13 PM
i know how you feel, i had the same thing when i first started 4yrs ago now, and then we were both inspected and the inspector came to me first, turned up at the other cm's house a week later (we registered the same day) and recognised my paperwork!!!!! i was asked to produce proof they were mine!!!!:mad: :mad: lucky for me they had my little sayings in and i had the memory stick, she had nothing but hard copies!!!! :) :) i was given a good she got poor!!!!! serves her right, we haven't spoken since!!