PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice - What should I do about 2 11mo babies & no variation

acorns
15-06-2011, 09:09 AM
I don't know what to do. A mum has called me in desperate need this morning as her cm has let her down. She has to return to work on Friday this week. She has an 11 month old baby (1 on 5/7), the p/t hours she want's would really suit me but I also have a 11 month old p/t (1 on 8/7) already. They would only be here together for part of a day, 2 days per week. Just phoned Ofsted and the snotty bloke I spoke to told me under no circumstances would they grant a variation in less than 14 days:censored: I'm soooo tempted to take on this little one from Friday. I'm returning the variation today & will still request it's done urgently (will think of a reason). Someone help me see sensible way around this, I'm excited, annoyed with Ofsted and don't think I am thinking straight!!......

little chickee
15-06-2011, 09:16 AM
If you do not have the variation in place you should not take the child.

You will be breaking the terms of your registration and if ofsted find out ( and there is a chance they will as you have requested a variation they may check up on you) you could find yourself in hot water.

I personally wouldnt risk it - but its your choice.

rickysmiths
15-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I definately wouldn't do it without the Variation in place because you would not be covered by your Insurance.

If you are a member of NCMA your membership would be void because you would be breaking the terms of your Registraion with OFSTED which is very serious and in my view definately not worth doing. I couldn't put my own family at risk by doing this.

It is very unlikely that you will get a Variation for a new baby in your care, without an appeal and fight.

I did this 3yrs ago, it took 3 months to go through the process, which ended in a Panel meeting. I got the Variation though :thumbsup:

acorns
15-06-2011, 09:25 AM
WOW, I can't believe Ofsted make so much fuss over what amounts to 6 days care (and not even full days) until both babies are 1. It's not like they suddenly change on their 1st birthday!!

moogster1a
15-06-2011, 09:28 AM
i got a variation for 2 under 1's the next day. If you want to pm me I'll pass on the name of the chap you need to email your request to. Just make sure you fill in all he bits about daily routine and how you have a double buggy, 2 highchairs ec.

onceinabluemoon
15-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Phone Ofsted again and ask to speak to an inspector.

If they still say no there is no point in taking the risk as you could lose everything. x

acorns
15-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Right, thinking clearly, definately won't be doing it without a variation:)

blue bear
15-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Fill in form off here and email straight away Mark as urgent and high light you need it by Friday xxx. I got mine in two days no problem

rickysmiths
15-06-2011, 09:42 AM
I have got it that quickly for Continuety of care.

It is unlikely for new business though.

acorns
15-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Phoned Ofsted back & spoke to someone much more positive. Variation submitted, I've never grovelled so much in my life:D

Playmate
15-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Good luck!

HomefromHome
15-06-2011, 10:57 AM
would like to say, it doesnt depend if its a new child or continuity of care... it depends on how you say you would cope with it and how many children on roll at the mo. making sure you have all necessary equipment, how the days are planned out etc. :)

love381
15-06-2011, 11:02 AM
i got a variation for 2 under 1's the next day. If you want to pm me I'll pass on the name of the chap you need to email your request to. Just make sure you fill in all he bits about daily routine and how you have a double buggy, 2 highchairs ec.

I do find it's about who you contact and who you speak to! I always find I get different answer from the people you contact (not just OFSTED), but quite often find myself calling two or three times about something to confirm things and get different answers!! Maybe contacting the right person is the way to go. x

miffy
15-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I

It is very unlikely that you will get a Variation for a new baby in your care, without an appeal and fight.

I don't see why not - the only reason acorns can't have this new baby is because it's under one atm, she has a vacancy but her registration only allows her to look after one child under one.

Ofsted view requests for this type of variation differently from those that take you over your numbers for under 5's and the fact that it's new business doesn't matter either because there is a vacancy.

Once granted the condition to be able to care for two children under one year old should remain on your certificate.

Good luck
Miffy xx

acorns
15-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I don't see why not - the only reason acorns can't have this new baby is because it's under one atm, she has a vacancy but her registration only allows her to look after one child under one.

Ofsted view requests for this type of variation differently from those that take you over your numbers for under 5's and the fact that it's new business doesn't matter either because there is a vacancy.

Once granted the condition to be able to care for two children under one year old should remain on your certificate.

Good luck
Miffy xx

This is why I can't understand why Ofsted were being so uppity to begin with. I have 1 under 5 atm & my cert says I can have 2 under 5, (i have my own 3yo) so i'm just moving the under 5 to under 1 for 2 weeks!!

miffy
15-06-2011, 12:50 PM
This is why I can't understand why Ofsted were being so uppity to begin with. I have 1 under 5 atm & my cert says I can have 2 under 5, (i have my own 3yo) so i'm just moving the under 5 to under 1 for 2 weeks!!

I would say the person you spoke to didn't know the rules - always worth phoning back and hoping you get the answer you want!

Oh and they can sort this out by Friday if you push them because it's very straight forward.

If you look at this Ofsted fact sheet it explains it all

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/Ofsted-home/Forms-and-guidance/Browse-all-by/Other/General/Factsheet-childcare-The-numbers-and-ages-of-children-that-childminders-may-care-for

Miffy xx