PDA

View Full Version : how to move on from childminding and what to do?

newandlearning
14-06-2011, 12:03 PM
hi all...

Back in September I started volunteering in a reception class at my son's school and its made me realise that I LOVE being in a school environment and so would like to try my hand at being a TA..

so far I've applied for 2 TA jobs and only Newly qualified teachers or TA's have got the jobs.. the applications take hours to complete and I know I'd be an asset to a school environment... yet I just don't know how to get my foot in the door or if potentially some other job could be a better bet..

I would really like to change professions come Sept. but unless I get a job in a school I can't begin to look for other jobs till nearer July or August...

In the meantime I've had around 6-7 enquiries recently .. and have rather given excuses and passed the business to my CM friends or told them I will get back to them this week.. 2 of the enquiries are from fellow CMing friends so I feel really honoured that they want m to CM their children .. however, what happens if I then find other work..

Can you advise me the easiest way to get into a school environment?
or can you think of other avenues which could still keep me working with children but not in my home?.. and preferably not as a nanny.

and also .. would you take on new mindees for september? if you know you want to change direction.. I feel morally drawn to not doing this.. but I could find come sept. that I've no work at all and then I'll have financial problems...

sooo sorry I've written to much .. but I'd love to hear your thoughts x :) xe

JCrakers
14-06-2011, 12:08 PM
If you are volunteering at the moment I think this is a great way to get your foot in. A couple of parent helpers at our school have gone on to train and have become full time PA's

Becky x

blue bear
14-06-2011, 12:14 PM
Could you take a lunch assistant job ( old fashioned dinner lady) near us that seems to be the way into becoming a ta.

newandlearning
14-06-2011, 08:14 PM
thank you ladies for replying..

I'm doing both of those suggestions but seem to have reached a block.. has anyone else on here been a TA and how did you get the job?

emmadines
14-06-2011, 10:45 PM
I think its just a matter of keep trying until you get it!!

Im in the same position as you, I want to become a paramedic (I love healthcare) but there's so much that gets in the way of doing the simplest of things like getting experience (in my case getting on shifts for observations). I currently took the plunge two nights ago and applied for a position as a 999 control operator (completely unplanned, just saw it and thought "no harm in applying, prob wont get it", I havent really thought what to do with my two kiddies but childminding has run its course for me, Im going along the view of learning to swim, your not going to learn if you dont just jump in!!!

anyway, keep trying at it, Good luck xx

love381
15-06-2011, 05:21 AM
I don't want to put a downer on this, but feel I have to warn you. My husband volunteered in a school near us and volunteered as a Midday Assistant as there was a lady due to retire and he was promised the job - the job was given to somebody else (we don't know why). He continued his classroom volunteering and was called upon when it was hectic at lunch. He was promised courses through the school and a job the following September should one come about. Again, this job was given to somebody else. It was a bit of a difficult time really, and I feel after a big discussion with the Head (a good friend of ours who I've childminded for) that he was used as a volunteer because he was there and they knew he wanted to be there. She didn't say it, but she did in a round about way.

I guess I just want to say be careful. I hope I've not put a downer on this for you, just a warning of what's out there. I really hope you get a job in a school, it is soooooooo rewarding and I loved it when I worked in one years and years ago. x

miffy
15-06-2011, 06:57 AM
thank you ladies for replying..

I'm doing both of those suggestions but seem to have reached a block.. has anyone else on here been a TA and how did you get the job?

If this isn't working for you at the school you're volunteering in could you try helping out at another school locally and see if you have more success there?

Miffy xx

sarah707
15-06-2011, 07:02 AM
I would ask the head what qualifications you need to work in the role you want... then carry on childminding for a year or 2 while you get them :D

LChurch
15-06-2011, 01:34 PM
I am in the same boat really. I used to be ICT techie in a school and would love to get back into the classroom but no jobs around here at the mo to even apply for that would fit in with my kids. Don't want to get a job and then have to use a cm myself! Could you try an agency? I am wondering about doing a course that is more up to date than my previous qualification in Learning support. Hope you get something.

clio0602
15-06-2011, 03:26 PM
At the moment I am doing my l3 CYPW and in Sep will start volunteering in dds school. When I finish CYPW I will be doing a Ta course (not sure which one tho) Hopefully by Sep 12 when ds starts ft school I will be able to get a Ta job and keep our house for us :D

rachelmama
15-06-2011, 03:47 PM
hi i know a agency called new directions type it in google, and they can help find u temp jobs maybe covering maternity and hopefully at the end they may keep you their.
I did my level 3 childcare learning and develpment college 1 evening a week and a placement in a school for 2 days I did this for 18 monthes untill i finished my course. but it wasnt payed work just volenteering i wonted just to try it what it would br like to work in a school, but I really wont to childmind i also have 3 children of my own .
good luck :)

LChurch
15-06-2011, 07:24 PM
I think its just a matter of keep trying until you get it!!

Im in the same position as you, I want to become a paramedic (I love healthcare) but there's so much that gets in the way of doing the simplest of things like getting experience (in my case getting on shifts for observations). I currently took the plunge two nights ago and applied for a position as a 999 control operator (completely unplanned, just saw it and thought "no harm in applying, prob wont get it", I havent really thought what to do with my two kiddies but childminding has run its course for me, Im going along the view of learning to swim, your not going to learn if you dont just jump in!!!

anyway, keep trying at it, Good luck xx

Have you thought of St. Johns Ambulance to get experience etc. Just an idea I gave to someone who also wanted to get into paramedics who thought it was a great idea.