PDA

View Full Version : Babydow website

mrsbonnet
14-06-2011, 10:46 AM
I have an 8 year old after schooler who asked to use the computer. She wanted to look at the babydow website which she had apparently been allowed to go on at school.

I did allow her to go on, and the pc is in full view of me, but afterwards had a look myself and see there is a forum which I think she'd been on.

I'm worried about letting any child go on a website with a chat room or forum and am inclined to say no to this one and only let her use the sites linked to from her schools website.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Happy Bunny
14-06-2011, 10:57 AM
I have a policy about internet and say that whilst I am happy for the children to do their homework on the computer, I will not allow them to go onto chatrooms.

Whilst I can monitor them and what they look at, you never know who they are talking to and internet bullying is on the increase.

mrsbonnet
14-06-2011, 11:02 AM
I have a policy about internet and say that whilst I am happy for the children to do their homework on the computer, I will not allow them to go onto chatrooms.

Whilst I can monitor them and what they look at, you never know who they are talking to and internet bullying is on the increase.

I agree, I just need to work out how to tell her and have a chat about cyber safety now!

Happy Bunny
14-06-2011, 11:07 AM
The NCMA website has a bit about online safety. and how to teach children about being safe online.

nokidshere
14-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I haven't heard of that one but most of the childrens websites you can turn the chat function off.

PixiePetal
14-06-2011, 01:29 PM
my DD did babydow. she was about 13 though at the time and very PC savvy. It was safe and she knew my rules and that was my choice but I think I would not let a mindee without written permission from parent at least, there are plenty of things to play without going to chat :rolleyes:

alwaysright
14-06-2011, 09:10 PM
i dont know what babydow is but assume its similar to moshi monsters or something, i wouldnt allow any minded children onto any sites like this, just a few weeks ago one of our local schools gave letters to all parents informing them of a safety issue with moshi monsters....a nine year old boy who thought he was talking to a twelve year old girl was actually being groomed by an adult and talking about meeting up and running away :mad: now moshi monsters are supposed to pick up on key words and it didnt......so much for the safety features!!