PDA

View Full Version : Montessori

jumpinjen
30-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi,

i just wondered if anyone is interested in montessori here, and how you incorporate it into your childminding??

Jenni x:)

ajs
30-04-2008, 09:45 PM
i am montessori trained but the person you need to talk to is superstars (celine)

i don't really use it any more as it was a million years ago i did my training and i can't remember much of it xx

jumpinjen
30-04-2008, 09:51 PM
How do I track her down???

I'm just getting into it with my own children and going through registration process for CM ing at the same time

enthusiats seem to be few and far between!

Jenni x

ajs
30-04-2008, 09:55 PM
you can pm her by looking under s on the member list above find super stars and leave her a message and she can answer when she's next on line
good luck x

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I am interested in it and would have loved to have trained and worked as a montessori. (I am so jealous of Mandy having done the training).

I was lucky enough recently to attend a conference organised by a local (well About 25 miles away) Montessori setting. Talking to someone there I was informed that there was an introduction to Montessori Day I got so excited until I realised that it was the day we return form our holiday.

But after talking to my hubby he agreed that we could come back a day early so I could attend (did I tell you how wonderful my hubby is - not often you here me say that lol)

I think Montessori would fit in well to the EYFS as I understand it to be about the individual child. I am seriousl yconsidering trying to adapt it to my setting so if you find out any more info do let me know.

This was advertised in the Nursery World mag this week

http://www.montessori.org.uk/pdfs/guidetoearlyyears.pdf

you might find it useful

buildingblocks
30-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Check out htis link as well

http://www.montessori.org.uk/freeCD.php

sarah707
01-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Thank you for those links Kate! It's something I've always been interested in learning more about as well.. in fact, I have a library book on order! :D

ajs
01-05-2008, 06:50 AM
i did my training at the london montessori centre (uh in london) in 1979 so it really was a very long time ago:eek:
unfortunately i didn't want to be there as i really wanted to do the nneb but the course was full and i was on the reserve list. and as i'd left school and had to go onto further education (i had no choice in the matter i had to be learning if i wanted to continue living at home) i did the montessori course

i did pass it but i did no work what so ever. i was in a minority student as almost every other student was from africa and didn't have english as a first language i think they must have lowered the pass rate :blush:

maybe i shoukd do some top up training as i agree it could be very useful now

ajs
01-05-2008, 06:53 AM
funnily enough st nicholas' where tana ramesy trained was the direct competitor of the lmc
i worked in 3 montessori schools

elmwood montessori in chiswick london for 2 years
parkgate montessori in battersea park london for 3 years
and allendale prep school where i was the reception class teacher for 2 years

Nix
01-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the links.

I'd love to learn more.

Unlike 'ajs' I did manage to do the NNEB but would loved to have done further training in Montessori...

Nix,x

jumpinjen
01-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I will look at your links later Kate, Thank you.

I have been reading lots on montessori lately and am beginning to incorporate the ideas into our home for our daughters. It is underpinned by supporting the child to be independent and courteous and confident and the ideas i have picked up for making a 'montessori environment' are lovely. I read a great book called 'How to Raise an Amazing Child' (can't remember author sorry) from the library and that was very user friendly.

They advocate few but very good quality resources (to encourage collaboration, care and different choices by each child) but all the childminding/ofsted stuff I seem to read hints that oodles of toys should be provided so I'm a bit concerned that i will be downgraded on my inspection for the small number of toys we have!! The children are never short of play ideas or bored though so I hope they'll get it!!

I could write more but I would probably jam the site I'm so enthusiastic about it at the moment!! I wqas really happy to get positive responses back as I'm finding fellow practisees hard to come by!!!

How did you find out about the conference???

Thanks everyone, Jenni x:laughing: